Trolling for Spanish

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Went out for the first time on Cap'n Frank's boat trolling for Spanish yesterday. NOAA called for 3 to 4 foot seas but it was much calmer than that for most of the morning. Sadly, while we had baitfish breaking all around the Spanish didn't bite. We went out of Carolina Beach inlet and fished down past Kure Beach and only caught one blue. As we were considering this a shake down trip we were pleased that everything on the boat was operational and it was a day on the water so it couldn't be bad. Seas are going to be too rough for us old guys for awhile but we have all summer.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
thats a bummer. They really are not a ton around right now. Should have looked for cobia instead. My roommate caught a 75lb one yesterday.

whynot

Spike
You try changing up colors and depth? I normally troll spoons with different flashes until I figure out what's color they are hitting that day. Give it a couple of weeks and it should be better.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
You try changing up colors and depth? I normally troll spoons with different flashes until I figure out what's color they are hitting that day. Give it a couple of weeks and it should be better.

We always troll with two rods and two handlines all with different Clark spoons and at different depths. Seems its still just a bit early at least where we were. And we've got all summer.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
All these weather fronts are keeping them a little farther out. We were at FT Fisher all last week and the winds howled for the most part. We did get out a couple of times. We caught 1 Spanish just to the south of the bell out of CBI. Then trolled from there down to Masonboro without a bump.

We did get out to 5 miles and saw a lot of big menhaden balls up top. One big old shark was busting them, he skyrocketed 2 times, big one.

Will be at Onslow Beach Monday thru Thursday running out of NRI, winds and conditions prevailing. All else fails we will fish the New River.