Short Barrels

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do short barreled specialty turkey shotguns (20"-24") lose significant velocity over standard 26"-28" barrels?

We know the maneuverability benefits of having a shorter barrel, but at what cost? Velocity? Pattern?

Mine is a full 28", and it catches on everything. It's like carrying a 2x4 on your back. I'm probably gonna stick with it, but I know someone who is considering getting a special purpose turkey shotgun, and I'm wondering if a 20" barrel can really perform like a 28".

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As a follow up, what length barrel would you get if you were buying a new special purpose turkey gun?

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
After toting a 30" barrel Remington 11-87 for years and years and years...I went out one afternoon several years ago and patterned both it and my Remington 1100 lite 20 NTWF special anniversary edition with a 21" barrel. When the little 20 gauge out-patterned my ol' trusty 30-inch 12 gauge shooting Federal HW #7s in both...I made the 20 gauge my go-to turkey gun and haven't looked back. Carrying it versus the log is like night and day. Carrying it shouldered with a sling and not having to duck under limbs is nice. And setting up is so much easier. As to whether or not I've lost velocity, I can't say for sure. I assume so. But regardless, that short, light 20 gauge with those shells has killed a pile of turkeys, many outside 40 yards and 4 outside 50 yards...with zero crippling losses. So, despite its short barrel, I consider my little lite 20 a great turkey gun.

dcmayo311

Four Pointer
I've switched this year to a Mossberg 535 20" from my Stoeger M3500 28". I have full confidence in its ability after patterning it with Longbeard #5 and the Longbeard choke. I used the same ammo last year with a Primos jelly head and killed my turkey at 20 yards no problem. After patterning my Mossberg at 15, 25 and 50 yards, I allways shoot a 20 ounce gaterade bottle (seems a little stiffer than most soft drink bottles) on a stick at 50 yards to test penetration. The pellets inside that bottle tell me that those same pellets would more than likely end up inside the vitals of a turkey. It's been a huge relief walking miles and miles with the 535 vs 3500.

old school

Six Pointer
I bought 24'' barrels for 10 and 12 gauges that came with 28 & 30's. Put on extended range chokes for turkeys and after patterning all have been pleased with the results. They are a little lighter and swing better in the bushes on turkeys and in the blinds on waterfowl. Confidence on shots past that magic 40 yd. number also when the situation arises.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
You may loose velocity but does it matter? Not shooting far enough to make a difference imho. I hunted for years with my benelli SBE with 28 inch barrel. Shot great but was a PITA to tote around the woods and try and swing in tight quarters. Get a shorter barrel and find a load it likes, the distance we shoot turkeys at with the new shells out the barrel length doesn't matter.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have an 870 super mag special purpose turkey. It has the 24in. barrel. I would put that gun up against any regardless of barrel length.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I have a Rem SP-10 26" and have 2 more barrels for it [20" and 30"]. Using the same load and choke, the 30' outshoots the 26" every time.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have 26" barrels on every turkey gun........I've patterned them with the right chokes & ammo and I don't feel like ever patterning another shotgun in my life!! :taz:

I've never had a problem swinging on a turkey because I don't sit in a brush pile and I'm ready when he comes........it's not like flushing a grouse or quail!!

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
I shoot an Encore outfitted for turkey hunting. 12 ga and has a 24" barrel (I think). Love that gun!

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
I bought a Mossy 835 with the 20" barrel before the beginning of the season. Compared
To the MODB Citori and the 1100 I have been hunting the past few years with, I love the 835. Short enough it doesn't snag when moving through overhanging brush, and light enough to shoulder all day. With the factory choke it patterned great to 45 yards with Federal 3rd degree shells and 40 yards with Winchester double X. I think I'm going to try patterning it with the Longbeard XR shells for next season, everyone I have spoke with who shot them love them. Only down side is when you are patterning, it kicks like a mule with 3 1/2" shells, but you don't feel it when your shooting a bird...

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
My gun totes a 20" barrel with a .665 choke. It patters very very well out to 40. It has a killing pattern at 60yd but great no doubt pattern at 40. #6s are my choice. Velocity is irrelevant with the new powders if the barrel is over 18". If the shot will punch through a pop can it will penetrate a turkey head. A gun smith will cut your barrel to length and thread it for 100$ it's well worth it with a turkey gun. If I am toting a gun I need it to be easy to craw, stalk, and beat through brush with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigStrutter

Twelve Pointer
I just built a turkey gun this winter and hunted with it this spring. It's a 870 with a 20" rifle sited barrel. I'll never tote another gun turkey hunting again. When I do pick up my old 11-87 with a 26" barrel I wonder how I even drug that thing around lol.

Ned

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
All of my guns are 28" or 30" barrels, and while annoying in the brush, it's never given me any problems with pattern

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Switched from a 28" barrel to a 24" and like it much better. TSS loads make up any performance gap.

Doc

Twelve Pointer
I bought a Mossy 835 with the 20" barrel before the beginning of the season. Compared
To the MODB Citori and the 1100 I have been hunting the past few years with, I love the 835. Short enough it doesn't snag when moving through overhanging brush, and light enough to shoulder all day. With the factory choke it patterned great to 45 yards with Federal 3rd degree shells and 40 yards with Winchester double X. I think I'm going to try patterning it with the Longbeard XR shells for next season, everyone I have spoke with who shot them love them. Only down side is when you are patterning, it kicks like a mule with 3 1/2" shells, but you don't feel it when your shooting a bird...

I shoot a mossy 835 with longbeard xr's with Carlsons longbeard xr choke. 3" or 3 1/2", #5 or #6, it doesn't matter. they all are crazy good pattern. Killed my bird this year with 3" #5s. Use a lead sled when patterning!

huntngolf

Six Pointer
have been hunting with a Remington 870 special purpose 12 with a 21" barrel for close to 20 years and would shoot to 40 yds against any gun. I use an extra full extended turkey choke and #5s. I heard a long time ago that a guns choke is much more important than barrel length

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
You can lose up to 100 fps going from a 28" to a 22" barrel. And it's generally easier to get good patterns with a longer barrel.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I have hunted all the way down to 20", thing was loud! I like 24" to 26"personally and didn't notice much of a difference at all going through the brush.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I guess I have every guy beat. Not often you brag about who's is the shortest! ;) This year I started hunting with an 18.5" Tactical 870. Its actually a Remington 870 A-TACS. I removed the side saddle and mag tube. Main reason I did it was so I could use a red dot and that gun already had a rail on it.

All I can say is I will probably never hunt with a longer barrel again. It has been an absolute DREAM to hunt with... No longer does the barrel hang up on trees when crouching through the woods. It doesn't stick above my head when cresting a hill. I can carry the gun by the pistol grip pointing straight down and it wont touch the ground (I'm 6'1"). Its more balanced when the gun is on my knee. Its easier to turn. Its more balanced on my shoulder when carrying by sling, no stock dipping forward. Its easier to maneuver in a ground blind. Sits in my truck easier. It just makes sense on so many levels......

It doesnt pattern as well as my Maxus (26") at 60 yards but it is close. Both guns shooting #4 3" Longbeard XR with an Indian Creek Choke.

I too had the same velocity question and from what I researched you lose maybe 100 feet a second although I cant remember the comparison length. Thats fine with me though. I dont plan on shooting a bird past 40 and I have no concern it will work at that distance.

I actually have a chronograph... Next time I go shoot in the back yard (soon) I will take it, and check the velocity of my 26" maxus vs the 18.5" 870 and follow up.
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg

And maybe its just becuase I am coming from a 26" barrel that I believe its a huge difference. I dont know. But I am just telling you, If you havent hunted turkeys with an 18" Barrel, you should try it. If you can get it to pattern then why not. Pretty much everyone says the same thing about not wanting to shoot a turkey past 30 yards anyway. I can tell you I sure as hell wouldnt want to get shot at 30 yards. I just think the difference in 8" or less of additional barrel length is negligible and the benefits far outway the ONE negative which is a little velocity loss of what maybe 5-8%?? (and maybeeee accuracy if using the guns beads)

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess I have every guy beat. Not often you brag about who's is the shortest! ;) This year I started hunting with an 18.5" Tactical 870. Its actually a Remington 870 A

So when you include the choke extension, it's actually 20-21".........

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Guess I'm different, can't stand a short barrel or the muzzle blast...Never really had a problem carrying a shotgun with a 28 inch barrel...

Heck, my flinters have 38 and 42 inch barrels, guess it's just what you get used to...

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yea.... I reckon it would be somewhere right in there. good point. But for me its still the same difference in barrel length since I run that same choke on my other gun.

And I see your point per using the same choke on different length barrels......

Doc

Twelve Pointer
I guess I have every guy beat. Not often you brag about who's is the shortest! ;) This year I started hunting with an 18.5" Tactical 870. Its actually a Remington 870 A-TACS. I removed the side saddle and mag tube. Main reason I did it was so I could use a red dot and that gun already had a rail on it.

All I can say is I will probably never hunt with a longer barrel again. It has been an absolute DREAM to hunt with... No longer does the barrel hang up on trees when crouching through the woods. It doesn't stick above my head when cresting a hill. I can carry the gun by the pistol grip pointing straight down and it wont touch the ground (I'm 6'1"). Its more balanced when the gun is on my knee. Its easier to turn. Its more balanced on my shoulder when carrying by sling, no stock dipping forward. Its easier to maneuver in a ground blind. Sits in my truck easier. It just makes sense on so many levels......

It doesnt pattern as well as my Maxus (26") at 60 yards but it is close. Both guns shooting #4 3" Longbeard XR with an Indian Creek Choke.

I too had the same velocity question and from what I researched you lose maybe 100 feet a second although I cant remember the comparison length. Thats fine with me though. I dont plan on shooting a bird past 40 and I have no concern it will work at that distance.

I actually have a chronograph... Next time I go shoot in the back yard (soon) I will take it, and check the velocity of my 26" maxus vs the 18.5" 870 and follow up.
View attachment 55199
View attachment 55200

And maybe its just becuase I am coming from a 26" barrel that I believe its a huge difference. I dont know. But I am just telling you, If you havent hunted turkeys with an 18" Barrel, you should try it. If you can get it to pattern then why not. Pretty much everyone says the same thing about not wanting to shoot a turkey past 30 yards anyway. I can tell you I sure as hell wouldnt want to get shot at 30 yards. I just think the difference in 8" or less of additional barrel length is negligible and the benefits far outway the ONE negative which is a little velocity loss of what maybe 5-8%?? (and maybeeee accuracy if using the guns beads)

Good looking turkey gun!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You will never see me carry a long barreled gun again, I was cutting barrels and having tubes installed way before it was popular to cut weight. The only way I would use a long barreled gun would be in a duck blind situation and that would be only in respect for the people around me and I don't see me in that situation again.