Turkey season 2017

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I am so ready for this season to be over. Pretty much no birds around here but tons of pressure on every adjoining farm. Everyone is trying to kill the same two birds...and I am ready to plant food plots for deer. For almost 30 years we had good numbers and (great numbers some years) of turkeys but for some reason unknown to us they are no longer here. 3 miles north and 3 miles south turkeys everywhere. What is weird is those areas have been clear cut and made into pastures. We have tons of hardwoods with lots of acorns rotting from last fall...I am at a loss.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i have been stuck in a three mile cioridor now for several years. sitting on better habitat that what is occupied a few miles away. Very frustrating.

i am tired of driving all over the country to chase a turkey. i want it as easy as the speed goats. :)

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
They go to open areas in spring. And baited areas draw them for miles. To many turkey hunters this day in time.all my private land spots have not produced nothing but jokes and hens the gobblers are far and few.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
They go to open areas in spring. And baited areas draw them for miles. To many turkey hunters this day in time.all my private land spots have not produced nothing but jokes and hens the gobblers are far and few.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

I have heard people calling and talking on several occasions near property edges this year. Never seen that quite as bad as this year.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Crazy season for me, hunted the least but had gobbles every day and every bird that died gobbled and strutted for us 1st. In the past I rarely killed strutting birds.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Brood range and food sources wins in the Spring Luckybuck. I got hardwoods up in Rockingham but there are always more birds closer to Paw Paw road where there is more pastures. Same thing here in Harnett county. The farms where the turkeys usually are were planted in rye and those fields are 6 ft jungles. The turkeys left those places and came up to my corner where luckily I had a few soybeans still standing that the deer didn't eat yet. My neighbor also had about 5 acres of beans left unpicked. All the turkeys were right here for once since the season came in. Probably will never happen again. I seen the same thing in Northampton county too. My neighbor and I had 65 acres up there . One year when the Meherrin river stayed flooded, my dad and I killed 4 gobblers off that property. That never happened again. Turkeys move around from year to year.
Sucks I know, there will be better years. ;)