When to spray Clethodim on clover

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
I have a good stand of clover but i have some weeds starting to creep in after the first mowing. When would Clethodim be most effective in spring?

TIA

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When your target weeds are most actively growing. As with any herbicide that is the prime time for chemical uptake. As with any time you are spraying multiple target species there are times some aren't as active as others so you may not get a perfect kill but you shoot for the highest percentage.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Do you have broad leaf weeds or grasses coming up in your clover? The Clethodim works great on grass but will not help you with broad leaf weeds. The normal plan i follow is:
I fertilized all my clover last weekend. I will sprayer my clover plots next week with Clethodim to get the grass early. Then in about 2 weeks (after the clover have all seeded out) mow it back to knock down the broad leafs. This will give the clover time to rebound before the really hot weather shuts it down on growing.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
I use 12 ounces per acre and add dawn dish soap as a sticking agent.

Yea that is bout right, and youll get a better kill with crop oil, i got some soybean oil from online [rural king] pretty cheap, use mowing and/or 24db butyrac for broadleafs weeds

Last edited: