Struck out on the birds, but had an interesting morning...

guiltycounty

Six Pointer
My buddy and I went after the turkeys for the first time this year at his family's land in Chatham County.

Walked around at daybreak and called a few times. Nothing.

Picked out a spot near where we've had some luck in the past. After 30 mins we hear two different birds, but they never come any closer. After another half hour we decide to pick up and move towards them because we couldn't quite tell which side of the creek the they were at.

As we walked down the hill, I see a slight movement to my left and it was 5 coyote pups huddled together at the base of a tree. We walked right past them and the only reason I saw them was they started to move and wander off. They were probably 5-8 weeks or so. They could not move super fast, but their eyes were completely open and they were aware of us enough to try and move along.

It wasn't pleasant since they were pups, but we knew what we had to do. I opted for a pretty large rock that did the job quickly and humanely as possible.

So no birds, but it was a productive day.

*MOD EDIT* - Removed pic of dead coyote pup.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm not judging you one bit. I expect it was the right thing, but I don't know that I could have done it.

Cheese

Six Pointer
Seriously? No reason to share this. Do what you feel like to eradicate a coyote but posting the photos and your tool of choice draws attention our sport doesn't need.

buckrutt29

Four Pointer
Good job. Rather little or big they need to be controlled. I see no difference in posting this than any other animal that we hunters pursue. Way to go

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
My feelings aren't hurt. I did search and search the "manner of taking" section and failed to find the large rock category.

Last club I was in you would have earned yourself $100 in bounty money with 5 of them... Imagine how many deer and turkey those things would have eaten in their lifetime if they had been allowed to grow up. Job well done if you ask me.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly when I first started reading I was angry cause I thought you kept walking... GOOD JOB...have no mercy!

Kill em all anyway you can

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
No way I would have killed them. I would keep them fed where I found them and we would have some fun with them and about 40 head of hounds this summer time once the crops got up

NC hunter

Next time find a good solid stick set the end on fire blow it out, let it smolder. Do the work tell everybody you got them with a "Smoke Pole" Good job. We have some around here that want to run them with dogs complain about someone putting a hole in one, crying about no deer in deer season. A few are getting the same way about hogs.