Antlers growing

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
PICT0009.jpgPICT0059.jpgPICT0062.jpg

Deer have been using my trace mineral blocks for several weeks now and their antlers are beginning to grow. This mineral site is in a winter wheat food plot that is now headed out and the deer will soon be eating the seed pods.

led0321

Six Pointer
Great pictures. All of my cameras are in SC now but I had a little buck here behind the house that was starting to grow a few weeks ago.

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
This food plot is one of 7 on a 400 acre farm that has 40 cleared acres used mostly for hay production and the rest is in timber that ranges from 3 years to mature and about every 3 years 20-30 acres will be selectively cut which creates good bedding and browse for the deer and feeding areas for the turkeys. There is never any clear cutting of the timber. Most of the food plots are sown every fall around the first of October with winter wheat at the rate of 100-150 pounds per acre and a couple of food plots also get ladino clover added to the winter wheat at about 4-5 pounds per acre.

The land is cut up with a heavy disc before planting. Winter wheat is cut in about 1 inch and clover is sown on top of the ground and not cut in at all. All plots are fertilized with 17-17-17 at 375-400 pounds per acre at the same time I fertilize the hay fields. Lime is applied as needed to keep the PH around 7. Clover doesn't need the nitrogen but I don't worry about weeds or grass growing in the wheat since I will cut and bail it for feed in late May.

Some people will laugh at this but I don't buy certified wheat seed. Much cheaper feed seed does just as well for food plots. Hope this helps.

Last edited: