Various Stickbaits in RED Head / WHITE body scheme: Generally very effective?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
A lot of stickbaits seem to come in the RED head and WHITE body color scheme. Mirrolures and SuperSpooks come to mind. What do you think of them? Worth using?

Thinking of getting some Skitterwalks and Superspooks for the surf...any color recommendations would be welcome.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
...and I've read opinions about what makes the combination work with the near-consensus being it's the contrast b/w head and body that makes a difference.

My question is do YOU have success with this combo and do you go to it often? Otherwise, the aforementioned lures come in a dozen or more colors that are all very beautiful but really necessary?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Red head/white body is my go to color on topwater probably 80% of the time. I've chased trout and drum with that combo from Virginia to Texas over the years and it just plain works. I'll get the occasional trip where they seem to prefer some other color combo, but if I had to choose one color combo for topwater, red and white it is.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
red/white is a classic combo,,,,,look at daredevil fame,,,,,,I like that color scheme,,,,works on shad too,,,,,,,,not sure why and the fish ain't talking,,,,,

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Grew up in Canada, catching pike in the summer on vacation and rarely used the Daredevil. Don't ask me why not! (Used a lot of live bait - leopard frogs).