100 yard crossbows?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
For faster shooting crossbows any good results for targets?

Mine clocks 402-406 fps and I've blown through rhinehearts, blocks, and the only 2 that I've found to stop a high speed bow is a spider target ($130) or a hurricane bag ($39). Before I get flack for the hurricane bag I was very skeptical too until I shot a friends that has one over 4 years old and that's been shot up to the point the bulls eyes are barely legible. I was impressed and picked up 2 both have been shot more than it took for my rhineheart and block to fail. Spider is a high end target but for its price I can buy 3 hurricanes and have enough left over for lunch on the way home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

country

Ten Pointer
Mine clocks 402-406 fps and I've blown through rhinehearts, blocks, and the only 2 that I've found to stop a high speed bow is a spyder target ($130) or a hurricane bag ($39). Before I get flack for the hurricane bag I was very skeptical too until I shot a friends that has one over 4 years old and that's been shot up to the point the bulls eyes are barely legible. I was impressed and picked up 2 both have been shot more than it took for my rhineheart and block to fail. Spider is a high end target but for its price I can buy 3 hurricanes and have enough left over for lunch on the way home.

My new crossbow is pushing 390 fps so my block target isn't cutting it anymore.

Manufacturer recommended spider but it is pricey. Was looking online and read about Morrell double duty 400 fps bag.

Which version of Hurricane do you use (h-21, etc.)?

Last edited:

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Spyder web for field points and a rinehart for broadheads. If you shoot the rinehart with field points with a 400fps xbow, you're going to need an arrow puller and a good back. Rag bag targets are great if you're on a budget, pack it tight.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Mine are 425 grains but .140 spine

I didn't realize they had improved the speeds that much. How do your broadheads hold up on deer? Can you even get a fixed blade head to fly that fast or is it strictly mechanical?

I can tell you the difference between 200 fps and 300fps with hunting weight arrows from trad and compound bows, and it is significant, but 400+fps is something I have never experienced. That is smoking fast for 400+ grain bolts.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
So far I've just been using rage 2 blades for crossbows, read quite a few issues of most fixed blades having issues at those speeds

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
So far I've just been using rage 2 blades for crossbows, read quite a few issues of most fixed blades having issues at those speeds

I think it is fairly widely understood that fixed heads can be testy to tune past 300 fps in the compound bow realm. Xbows don't have as many variables in play but figured the elevated speeds could produce some problems since the heads are basically identical.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
I didn't realize they had improved the speeds that much. How do your broadheads hold up on deer? Can you even get a fixed blade head to fly that fast or is it strictly mechanical?

I can tell you the difference between 200 fps and 300fps with hunting weight arrows from trad and compound bows, and it is significant, but 400+fps is something I have never experienced. That is smoking fast for 400+ grain bolts.
Fixed blades that fly well at 400fps are Slick tricks, ramcats, Harcraft, and Exodus. I'm shooting 440g 21inch spynal tapps at 425fps. Speed like this is tough on arrows as well as targets. I very rarely shoot mechanicals.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Fixed blades that fly well at 400fps are Slick tricks, ramcats, Harcraft, and Exodus. I'm shooting 440g 21inch spynal tapps at 425fps. Speed like this is tough on arrows as well as targets. I very rarely shoot mechanicals.

That is impressive....

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot stumps with my bow. Shoots around 450fps with a 500gn arrow. Rage extreme with brass inserts. Hits harder than a Mack truck. Sliced a deer in half last year.
ba0924d31ec4eb41c083d5f7cc0d45a0.png

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I shoot stumps with my bow. Shoots around 450fps with a 500gn arrow. Rage extreme with brass inserts. Hits harder than a Mack truck. Sliced a deer in half last year.
ba0924d31ec4eb41c083d5f7cc0d45a0.png

you must have good connections,,,,how did you get ahold of the prototype Rage's with the 2 ft cutting width???

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
That is impressive....

Here's a couple video's I made back in 2013 testing broadheads @ 100. The wind is the tricky part. I adjusted for the wind after the first shot, then it changed on me or died completely or my wind indicator gets stuck on the duct tape.
[video=youtube;cm-DNj_RHsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm-DNj_RHsc[/video]
[video=youtube;7s1SsKsUCFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s1SsKsUCFQ[/video]

Here's a clip on the ramcat in action at hunting distance. Yes, there's a house in the background. Suburban hunting.

[video=youtube;JSwgLvIF00A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSwgLvIF00A[/video]