Pig Cooker...

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
This one might drag out a little longer than the brick one did just because I'm short on time and scavenging for parts. I've been sitting on this drum for 6-7 years now.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
After marking them with a marker on the sides and a chalk line on the front and back, I scored the cuts with a grinder and a carbide wheel. Once I was most of the way through, I could cut the drum almost without even plugging the sawsall in.
A good hot fire for most of the afternoon was the next task.

9e4d51286eb80c85f72dd585d2be4ad7.jpg

Last edited:

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My son in law and built one last summer, good luck on build. There is a guy here in Chatham county that builds great burner set ups for 100.00.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
My son in law and built one last summer, good luck on build. There is a guy here in Chatham county that builds great burner set ups for 100.00.

Thanks. I'm planning on going charcoal/wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have built several. I go ahead and brace them up around the perimeter before I burn them out. It makes it much easier. Many times they will distort and won't match up worth a crap from the heat after being cut. Or that was what I found and it was just easier for me.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I'll find out I guess. I wasn't too keen on cutting and welding until all the fuel was gone.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll find out I guess. I wasn't too keen on cutting and welding until all the fuel was gone.

If you do another one you can drain it all out and wash with soap and water. Stick an air hose in there and regulate it back and just leave it on. It will evaporate it all out completely. I have done that to them that even had gasoline and they will purge themselves of all fumes.

coondog87

Eight Pointer
Stick a hose from the tsilpipe of your car into the tank and do all the welding u want. The exhaust gas will displace the oxygen.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
It was a booger to line up the front and back. I had to do the back twice to remove a half inch to keep the front from overhanging too much. I'll save the sides for another day.

5ab302abbe546546ebf34e3c63061421.jpg

3ab79c0f7eb27dc67c0238a907b0a895.jpg

94c21872937d884fb52a3608f1c700d2.jpg

113f66c8b334583938d2beef4eddf480.jpg

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I'll get the sides on then add some corner braces to keep it square.
I still don't have the lid assist or catch figured out.
The grate will be just above the front lip so I can slide it out on the tracks about 15" and reach the chicken quarters without an eyeball full of smoke. The rear of the grate will be split right and left. It will have a cut out to grip it and it will cantilever over the front grate to get to the rear of the grate within reach. When the rear is raised up I could add some drop in grates so I could keep the taters or corn up top and the quarters below. All will lay flat for whole hog.

1f26bf57fd634da3bb9379d1d697b40b.jpg

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are two ways on the lid assist, springs or counter balance. If you go with a counter balance I would go with the captivated one in a pipe. That way a kid around when you are cooking won't be apt to get a finger smashed if it is the wrong place when you lift the lid. Personally I liked to use springs.

fdtrucky

Six Pointer
I will try to get you a photo of my spring assist on my cookers a friend of mine designed them and they are the cats behind.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We built cookers in highschool. Filled them with wather and then drained them a couple times. We seemed to always catch them on fire, but never any big booms.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If not careful, springs will wear out. Id definitely recommend taking them loose during storage and hooking up during transport and cooking.

Dead weight makes a great assist and hydraulics work well and are easy to replace if they go bad.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good call on cutting the lid full size. Much easier to work with meat when the whole top opens. Have one of both types nearby. Both are good but the full top with the rack that lifts out is easier than sliding forwadd.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Got one side in today between mowing, splitting wood, mulch and pork ribs in the brick smoker.

bf6b07cb1c9d8c15ae10eaaf3c8e0cd0.jpg

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for the pics. Anything you do and don't like about them?

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I got a little further today. Next step is to mount it to the trailer. I want to see where it sits on the trailer before I brace the lid too much. How the bottom sits may rack the lid to one side or another. Also I want to level the cooking grate after it's on wheels.

47ec421e36a7bc769694dce8de374495.jpg

85628c9f38da25d21f9d9e07069124ee.jpg

da950ef910bfa110c0644d12cc582c82.jpg

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the pics. Anything you do and don't like about them?

I like the full lid better than the half lid. Definitely like the expanded metal on front of both. I know you are doing wood, but i would build a burner that fits in there and be able to swap out easily. Those are both gas, but after cooking on wood and charcoal, the gas gets much easier to deal with when cooking for a crowd.

I would build a heavy trailer. One of Dads is light as a feather. The quarter lid weighs twice as much or more. It pulls much better and doesnt bounce on the road.

I might would look into a stainless rack. Those both have steel, but they have both seen rust a time or two and had to be cleaned up and reseasoned. Not a big issue. If you use bbq sauce, clean the rack within a day of cooking. It will eat one up quick.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Good friend said most important thing he added was a hasp to lock lid close. He used charcoal and during events or competitions folks wanted to "take a peek" and lift lid. There goes temp.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good friend said most important thing he added was a hasp to lock lid close. He used charcoal and during events or competitions folks wanted to "take a peek" and lift lid. There goes temp.

That is what the shovel is for that you spread the charcoal with. If used correctly you usually don't have repeat offenders.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Tucker Max described that as "toning". The bell ring sound shovel makes after making good contact. In his use it was to train a dog not to eat goats.

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
I had a friend with a massive smoker/BBQ grill. He added a 12volt fan and a battery to the trailer. There was a rheostat switch to control airflow and he could add some air to the coals if needed. I forget how it was piped in, but the fan was an inline one used in inboard boat motors.