Mono, fluoroscopy, fluoro-coated, braid, good grief!

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Tried to buy some fishing line today. The myriad of choices is overwhelming. My only experience with braid is from the early 2000s (Spiderwire) and I don't want to go back there. I think braid has probably changed a lot since then, though.

Any comments for a guy fishing the sound for trout and flounder with 7foot rods? Surf, too.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Tried to buy some fishing line today. The myriad of choices is overwhelming. My only experience with braid is from the early 2000s (Spiderwire) and I don't want to go back there. I think braid has probably changed a lot since then, though.

Any comments for a guy fishing the sound for trout and flounder with 7foot rods? Surf, too.

Nanofil from Berkley is thin and strong like braid but handles and fishes a lot more like mono. I use 8 to 17lb test from the mountains to the sea here in NC and there has never been a better line for spinning reels than Nanofil that I have saw.

<>< Fish

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Why does everyone compare other fishing line to Braid.

Kind of like everyone comparing all coolers made to a Yeti cooler.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
BTW

I fish Power Pro for flounder 15 lb and it is small. Depends on what and how it is fished I find myself using about 2 to 3 foot fluorocarbon or mono.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Why does everyone compare other fishing line to Braid.

Braid is a generic term so it's not like comparing to Yeti, but maybe to any rotomolded cooler. (However, Yeti is the pioneer, it seems, in the "overpriced, uber-heavy, I'm-so-cool, cooler market segment, so it makes sense to compare to a Yeti if you ask me). I do it by saying "my $50 Coleman holds ice all day, just like your $500 Yeti, and I can carry it with ice in it". Had he said "it's like PowerPro", then maybe, but even then, if something is similar to a know product, why not compare?

More than half the rack at Academy is a braided line. Neither of us mentioned a brand of braid (a la Yeti). I had to google Nanofil. Berkley says "Not a mono, fluoro or braid -- The Next Generation in Fishing Line!" - so even they are comparing it to braid.

Have you got an opinion on fishing line?

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For the specific use that you mentioned, consider Power Pro 10 lb. 15 at the very most....braid is somewhat buoyant so larger is more buoyant and can impact lure action. Braid's two biggest benefits are sensitivity and no stretch (opinion).

For trout and flounder fishing, consider using only 70-100 yards of braid to fill the reel (cheaper and conducive to changing when needed)....backing can be whatever you choose. Reverse the braid when it fades or more quickly if abrasion is obvious. Moss green. Consider buying a 1000 yd spool and replace on your reels as necessary (shop on line).

As mentioned above, use a mono/ fluorocarbon leader. (buy a spool of cheap 15 to 20 lb flurocarbon and not the leader stuff) Study the knots. As leaders tend to be changed under stress, consider a surgeon's knot for the braid/leader connection. Quick and strong (double the braid before tying).

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I also like the way it cuts the water. Does not feel to have drag like larger lines and mono.
When a wave hits or fish tracks in and out if waves it does not deflect as much as mono from my findings.
More a direct line from rod to fish and not the arc or curve I was getting with mono. I feel that has to do with the dia of the line.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You've been given good advice. Power Pro with Fluro leader. I use it for everything from crappie to surf fishing.

The sensitivity, strength, and diameter are unmatched. In light bite situations, it will absolutely be the difference in catching vs. not.

Last edited:

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
briad with a flouro leader is the way to go. Will outcast anything and is way more sensitive. You will catch more fish fishing with braid. I tried it early on as well and went back to mono. Gave it another shot and havnt looked back. I use kast king braid, its cheap and works great.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I've went back and forth myself, but I've settle on power pro or Diawa braid with a fluorocarbon leader. Learn the fg knot, best leader knot I've learned to tie. Passes through the rod eyes flawlessly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use braid for several things, one drawback to braid is older eyes and if you are fishing several rigs at a time if you get them wrapped you have a full blown mess on your hands.

When I am fishing the river and in trash for flatheads I used some old 130# Big Water Braid left over from my shark fishing days. That stuff is big enough yet very limp and and easy to work. It isn't bad to get loose if you get wrapped. The only thing is you have to have a paddle or piece of wood to wrap it around to break it off if you get hung. And even then it will pull the anchors most of the time.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks everyone - you too, Gadget :) - I can sure feel the stretch in my mono. I have one feel, spooked by someone else for me and I'm not sure what he used. It's white, mono as far as I can tell. I can't break it off if I get a snag. It stretches and will cut my finger. I can't stand that. Gotta respool it.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I have braid on some and mono on some outfits. Most of my saltwater gear has braid. Braid is very thin and you can put a lot more on a reel than its mono equivalent, ie. 30 pound mono vs 30 pound braid. Power Pro gets my nod, however I am checking out FINS and Kast King, off of Amazon, from China. Kast King feels good, about the same size as PP, except I got 1000 meters for 37 bucks. That's a lot of line, enough to fill multiple reels without filling half of the reel with mono.

I chase Albie and I like the full reel of braid, they can smoke out of the gate. I use 15 pound for most fishing. Everyone has his or her likes and dislikes for different brands of braid.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Power pro braid is on every reel I own. From bluegill to surf fishing. The biggest drum I've ever caught I caught (39") came off 10lb power pro.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Flouro leader tied with a FG knot to Power Pro Super 8 Slick Braided Line on mi spinners. JB Hollow Core Braid to a mono windon on my trolling gear.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Been using mono line for surf and saltwater fishing for 40 years. Tried braided line way back when they first hit the market and everyone was raging about them. I guess my old vintage 70's & 80's era Daiwa SS and GS series reels and rods weren't designed to be used with braided line and caused minor damage to some of them (line rollers on the reels and guides on the rods), so I switched back to mono and have looked back since. The new reels and rods these days (and for the past 10-15 years or so) are designed to use braided line so that is not an issue these, but I still use mono line for all my fishing. I use Berkely Pro Spec and Triline Big Game mainly with outstanding results. I buy it by the large 3 pound spools, for several poundage's, at a time and I get much more line per dollar with mono. I fish the surfs from Nags Head to Ft. Fisher (and most points in between) from May to October, a dozen or so times a year and never felt under gunned with mono nor have been out fished, regardless of whether I am fishing for big reds or for whitings, spots, pompanos, etc. With mono you will get more drag in the water than with the thinner braided line, but that doesn't really hurt anything, that much. For trout and flounder in the sounds, mono would work just fine.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Once you tie it once or twice you will be good to go. Make sure you keep the braid tight when you tie it and make sure you pull the mono and braid when done to cinch it tight. It is a 100% knot and I have never had one fail.
I've checked out the FG knot. Wow. I'll try it out, but it looks complicated.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is a 100% knot and I have never had one fail.

That's saying something. I can't say that about any kind of knot I've tied. After looking it up, I can see why though. I may try a couple of these. That Alberto knot looks pretty easy.

I usually use the Surgeon's knot because it is very fast, very simple, and works about 97% of the time.

Last edited: