Carp fishing in rivers

gameland

Twelve Pointer
While I'm a self proclaimed bassaholic, but since Ive been without a boat for a couple years until recently I've gotten into carp fishing in paylakes. While it is fun and can be expensive I've been trying to learn how to catch these fish in lakes and rivers. Is anyone familiar with fishing for carp in the wild? I'm wanting to learn when is the best time of year to bait a spot and how and what areas of a lake are productive in the different seasons. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Although I prefer to shoot them in the face, I've caught my fair share on rod and reel. Definately a fun fish to catch! Go to lakes that have public fishing and better yet, parks and even better, one that has a lot ducks used to being fed. The fish usually gather in those places knowing there's free meals. They receive very little if any fishing pressure. Canned corn and dough baits always worked well for me.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I always use dough balls just like I would at a pay lake...if you never caught a wild carp, you are in for a fight! I love catching them

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can use the universal bait :D corn and wait a few days then go back and use canned corn and slay them. You will catch a few channel catfish as a side benefit also. They will feed on it to a much lesser extent.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I sight fish them with flies a la tailing redfish. It's my staple in the dog days of summer. Really screams saltwater reels and heavy rods.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
I guess to better clarify my question is where on a lake should I concentrate baiting the carp? Shallow coves, main lake, channel drops? Thanks for all the responses so far.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess to better clarify my question is where on a lake should I concentrate baiting the carp? Shallow coves, main lake, channel drops? Thanks for all the responses so far.
As I said, they are in the shallows now, they will go back into deeper water within the next couple of weeks. They are opportunistic, bait them and they will come.

Also remember, if the shallow they are much harder to fish for. You bang the boat they are gone for a while. You stand up where they see you, they are gone, etc.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
We used to go below the dam at Jordan and fish calm water on other side of wing wall on spillway. Litterally catch carp every single cast. Throw bait as clos to wall as you can get it. There not big but there in there by the hundreds.........or at least they us d to be.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Never fished them on a river but I have out of several lakes and ponds. Water near where people come around a lot is usually good the best, such as boat ramps, parks etc. If they're used to people throwing food to them or the ducks, it'll be a piece of cake to catch one. We used fruits.