Montana Drawing Result Was...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
UNSUCCESSFUL!! Man, that sucks.

I was told that I would have an entire week off this fall, not by my choosing - it would be Oct. 28th-Nov 4th. Not a bad week to have off - so my Dad and I put in for a MT deer combo tag in hopes of hunting whitetail on a friends ranch in SE MT, not too far from Devil's Tower. It is not a special permit draw, just a general tag. The success rate, according to the MTFWP employee, has been 100% for the last 5+ years, but it was NOT this year. I've been trying to talk Dad and a couple other friends into going back out there for the past few years, but there have always been other obligations. We finally make arrangements this year, and we strike out in the draw.

So now I'm looking at other options. I want to go out of state that week because if I stay here it will be wasted, for several reasons. I used to go to Indiana each year, but family that I stayed with has aged to the point where they can't accept guests. Now I am looking for some type of OTC tag hunting opportunity, but it has to be that week. I guess a closed door opens up the possibility of hunting somewhere new, but finding the right place can be a challenge.

Anyone else heard from your western hunt lottery draw results? Anyone have a good out of state OTC opportunity?

broodc2

Four Pointer
Sorry to hear about that. Those western tags are coveted. You could maybe look in western Kentucky (Calloway and Christian counties). It might be a good balance of decent size deer and OTC tags.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
I have not looked at the season dates for this coming fall but that week is normally the the third season for elk in Colorado. You can get bull tags OTC.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
If you're interested in elk, Montana did have leftover Elk Combo tags, which go on sale, I think, May 8th, but they'll go quick.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is. The last time I hunted this ranch I was sitting on the fence line...which is also the state line.

I would be up for chasing elk, but that first of November timeframe is usually better for deer, IMO. I think Dad's days of being able to elk hunt are over though.

Last edited:

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
You wouldn't happen to have 4 Iowa preference pts would you, if so I gotta a farm you can hunt in SE Iowa.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ That makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. :D

You wouldn't happen to have 4 Iowa preference pts would you, if so I gotta a farm you can hunt in SE Iowa.

I wish you would have mentioned that 4 years ago!

I would start getting Iowa preference points if I had a place in mind to go, but I'm not confident enough to just pick an outfitter and pay them big money. I like a more do it yourself, semi-guided style anyways.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
PM me if interested in DIY western KY deer info. I have been twice to this place and it is an amazing hunting opportunity.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Was finally able to sign onto the website and get my confirmation, will be chasing the rutting mulies out of the crazies this November, now the long wait.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Good luck we will be back in Montana next year. I am taking a break this year.
Was finally able to sign onto the website and get my confirmation, will be chasing the rutting mulies out of the crazies this November, now the long wait.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Thanks. I always look forward to your adventure. One day if you have an open seat, let me know...

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
I want to go somewhere. Got 3 points to Iowa just not sure where to go. I want to take my son with me somewhere just cant settle on a spot.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
I want to go somewhere. Got 3 points to Iowa just not sure where to go. I want to take my son with me somewhere just cant settle on a spot.

Does your son have 3 points as well?
Are you wanting a shotgun hunt or a bow hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
Same here. No tag. :(

I'm surprised both of you didn't draw based on what I was told when I applied this year.

Thankfully I was successful in drawing a deer/elk combo general tag. I'm flying out Sept 14 & returning the 30th. Super excited!!!

Bux hope you draw next year.

Skyhawk I hope you & your dad find a place to go this fall & are successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk