Fishing kayak

Paulnc11

Button Buck
I'm looking at getting a fishing kayak, anyone have any recommendations or words of caution? I've been in plenty of canoes but not all that familiar with kayaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
12 ft is a good length to me. 10 is to small and doesnt track well enough, 14 you start needing a rudder and they can be to long to maneuver in some spots. Lots of reviews and comparisons online of different yaks. A yak with a wider flatter bottom will be more stable and easier to fish from, but also get blown around by the wind more and track not as well. A narrower or more v bottom will be less stable but cut through wind better and track good.

What type of water do you plan on fishing?

Paulnc11

Button Buck
12 ft is a good length to me. 10 is to small and doesnt track well enough, 14 you start needing a rudder and they can be to long to maneuver in some spots. Lots of reviews and comparisons online of different yaks. A yak with a wider flatter bottom will be more stable and easier to fish from, but also get blown around by the wind more and track not as well. A narrower or more v bottom will be less stable but cut through wind better and track good.

What type of water do you plan on fishing?

I'm thinking ponds and lakes but I would like to take it in the sounds too. Are you familiar with lifeline, or lifetime?

Paulnc11

Button Buck
Nice! Can I ask where you purchased it? Do you feel pretty stable in it?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Go to a Get Outdoors Demo day if you can and paddle as many kayaks as you can. Pick the one or style that suits you best and start shopping. The demo days are FREE and they have a very helpful staff to assist you with any issues/questions.

http://shopgetoutdoors.com/demo_days

<>< Fish

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Nice! Can I ask where you purchased it? Do you feel pretty stable in it?

Competitive edge products online is where I purchased it..they price matched walmart.com and had no tax and free shipping. They then gavr me a %5 discount due to being backordered

I recently saw the same kayak but green at OKI Wal-Mart in Southport for $287

Last edited:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Nice seat mods, care to share to how to on it?

<>< Fish

The seat mod was simple...its $99 from Bass pro (originally goes on the FS128t and is a swivel seat.

I cut 2.5" from either pipe of the seat frame base and it is sitting in a premolded lip on the kayak. I then plastic dipped EMT 2 hole straps and used them to secure the base to the kayak with YAkGear tri-rivets (very strong)

I also used the original Lifetime seat strap to cinch over top of the base, as well as, added a strap to the back of the frame and riveted it in. Looks very custom..I am quite pleased!

It actually mounts better than Ascend does. The FS128t has molded slots on the left and right that simply cradles the edges of the seat base and then has a bungee cord to keep it from dislodging

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Besides the seat..the anchor wizards are the coolest yak addition I have seen... If you buy without the winch they are only $20 and I riveted them in along with pad eyes leading up to fly reels to store my line. Also put quick cleats to wrap off to when anchor is deployed so as not to strip the drags on the fly reels

Last edited:

Lonehunter

Six Pointer
The seat mod was simple...its $99 from Bass pro (originally goes on the FS128t and is a swivel seat.

I cut 2.5" from either pipe of the seat frame base and it is sitting in a premolded lip on the kayak. I then plastic dipped EMT 2 hole straps and used them to secure the base to the kayak with YAkGear tri-rivets (very strong)

I also used the original Lifetime seat strap to cinch over top of the base, as well as, added a strap to the back of the frame and riveted it in. Looks very custom..I am quite pleased!

It actually mounts better than Ascend does. The FS128t has molded slots on the left and right that simply cradles the edges of the seat base and then has a bungee cord to keep it from dislodging

Does the seat still have 3 adjustments for height?

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
People said you could stand and fish in my kayak as well. They must have been 5'2, no way i could stand and fish in my kayak. Id think you would need a really wide kayak to do that.

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
Last edited:

Paulnc11

Button Buck
I have a west marine pompano. its just a re-branded perception pescador angler. Got it on sale for around $350. Typically wont find them or the pescador for under 500. Its a good yak and i like it, just wouldnt stand up in it. not that i ever feel the need too. Would recommend it as well, track great and has lots of fishing features built in already.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west...ngler-kayak-sand-black--16163834?recordNum=11

350 is a GREAT deal from what I can tell

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
10 ft is too small like the 2nd poster said. 12 ft is the best length if you can only have one. I went with a 14 fter as I am only going to use it in the sounds and ocean so i wanted a long fast boat that I could also stnd up in ...I have 5 canoes 3 of which are solo so they get the freshwater use, the 14 fter is my ocean boat Mack

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
2017-04-30 15.15.32.jpg

Maiden Voyage broke me and the yak in right!! Fished intracoastal shipping channel with 20mph winds blowing in direction with the current.

Good time though!

Caught 16" red drum, saltwater catfish, 2 keeper mangrove snappers, a pinfish, pencil fish, and lost a big one that cut me off on oysters

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I have a Jackson Cuda 14 that I bought used at a great deal. I would go used and get more kayak than going cheaper on a new one. A lot of great kayaks out there.

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
I have a Jackson Cuda 14 that I bought used at a great deal. I would go used and get more kayak than going cheaper on a new one. A lot of great kayaks out there.

Agree, Kayaks are made of pretty tough material, they dont deteriorate. Most have no moving parts so its not like they can wear out. Unless you find a new one on sale you can get a better kayak used that will last as long as you want.

Lonehunter

Six Pointer
View attachment 55125

Maiden Voyage broke me and the yak in right!! Fished intracoastal shipping channel with 20mph winds blowing in direction with the current.

Good time though!

Caught 16" red drum, saltwater catfish, 2 keeper mangrove snappers, a pinfish, pencil fish, and lost a big one that cut me off on oysters

How was the stability with the added on Acend seat? I am disabled and the last thing I need is to find myself in the water.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
How was the stability with the added on Acend seat? I am disabled and the last thing I need is to find myself in the water.

Definitely made it more tipsy in the wind but was worth the trade off.

I believe one would have to intentionally flip this yak...very stable

Paulnc11

Button Buck
Agree, Kayaks are made of pretty tough material, they dont deteriorate. Most have no moving parts so its not like they can wear out. Unless you find a new one on sale you can get a better kayak used that will last as long as you want.

Thanks,
I monitor Craigslist for a good used one, any suggestions for other good places to look?