Things Unique About North Carolina

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am really glad I made this post! It not only gave me a lot of great ideas but I also learned a lot about our state that I never even knew about! One of the ideas that really stood out to me was things to do with our coast and Cape Hatteras Lighthouse! Thanks guys for all your feedback! Also thought I might post the final product on here! I think it turned out quite well! View attachment 55106

This is an end of year project for college? Is there a paper associated with it or is this just a small portion of the classwork?

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did a tour of Fontana Dam a few year back. The locals are sure (and will swear it) that it was the backup location for government during the cold war, built completely inside the dam. While it may be hard to prove, it would make a great paper.

The locals seem to know the most. I do know the dam was so big they put cooling coils in the concrete because they feared the years of generated heat from the concrete curing would cause cracks. They also had a worker or two fall in but they never stopped the pour. The govt. said it was for Alcoa and the aluminum for airplanes and some did indeed get used for that. It was specifically built however for the nuclear bomb effort going on in Oak Ridge.

I did not know that the dam was actually in North Carolina!

Last edited:

LadyHunter

Button Buck
This is an end of year project for college? Is there a paper associated with it or is this just a small portion of the classwork?

For this class in particular it is my final exam. There is a lot more to this project that I will have to explain in class not just this display. It will contain almost everything I have learned in the class this semester. Also, it will be a big portion of my grade. This class was based around teaching in the outdoor professions. Seeing as I will be an Parks and Recreation Major teaching people that come to the park ..will be a part of my job duties in my profession.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As an engineer, I find it most interesting that they literally sawed the lighthouse off it's rock foundation and moved it. I haven't seen it in it's new location.

oteixeira

Four Pointer
Sure is in NC, of course, you can go less then a mile and be out of state, but it's on our side of the line. :) Beautiful country out there.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
For this class in particular it is my final exam. There is a lot more to this project that I will have to explain in class not just this display. It will contain almost everything I have learned in the class this semester. Also, it will be a big portion of my grade. This class was based around teaching in the outdoor professions. Seeing as I will be an Parks and Recreation Major teaching people that come to the park ..will be a part of my job duties in my profession.

Congratulations on your project. I'm glad we could be of help. :)