Things Unique About North Carolina

LadyHunter

Button Buck
Okay, so I am currently a student at Western Carolina. I have a project due for the end of the semester. This is an outdoor related project. I have kinda hit a brick wall and I just can not come up with any ideas. It needs to be something very unique and cool about North Carolina.

Everyone has been to a state park, walking trail, ect. We have all seen the little signs along the way that tell us something unique in that park or on that trail. Well, that is what I have been asked to do is create one of those displays for people to read and learn about.

So, this is where I need some help!!! What do you guys think would be really cool and fun to see? I need cool and interesting ideas! I figured us all being outdoor people this would be a great place to ask around for some ideas.

Thanks!!:)

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I would guess there are limitless possibilities with regard to the Biltmore Estate.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would guess there are limitless possibilities with regard to the Biltmore Estate.

Speaking of Biltmore Estate......how about the matriculation of the Estate from 100,000 acres of private property to becoming a National Forest??

Much of the Pisgah NF in Buncombe, Henderson, and Haywood Counties was once owned by George Vanderbilt!!

The history of how the Estate was formed is interesting in itself......

You can visit the Biltmore House to get much of your information.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
At one time, and I expect it is still true, NC has more miles of paved roads than any other state.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Oooohhhhh the possibilities.
Mount Mitchell is the tallest peak east of the Mississippi
High Point is dubbed the furniture capital of the world(although a dying industry)
If my memory is correct, Carolina is the oldest State University in the country
We get to claim both Black Beard AND the Wright brothers
Cherry Pointe is the Marine Corps largest air base
We have the Venus Fly trap
You've got the first colony on Roanoke Island
It seemed like I've read before that we're the largest producer of sweet potatoes, but that may be wrong
KRISPY KREME
I can go all day....

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
How about we teach the nation how to do BBQ?

Whole pig, cooked over wood with a Vinegar based sauce.

Those folks in Western NC still need learning on the whole hog part.

First gold rush, first school of forestry, first in independence, Regulator War kicked off the American Revolution. Without the Tar Heel boys of NC the Civil War would have been over quick.

Heck you could do a long history on Zebulon Vance alone.

NC is rich in history

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Light houses.

Ferry system, one of the largest

Bridges, Bonner, Lynn Cove, costal draw bridges, swing bridge at topsail that is being replaced

wl704

Ten Pointer
I think I recall from my brother (a biologist) one of the densest (maybe most varied, I can't recall) of amphibians.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Don't forget about all the NWR 's we have in NC. You went to one last year at the pinch point, next to that natural funnel!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LadyHunter

Button Buck
Don't forget about all the NWR 's we have in NC. You went to one last year at the pinch point, next to that natural funnel!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Too Funny!! Although, I think I could talk about that big oak tree sitting on top of the hill, but my wind would be wrong for that! Even though I could still kill them with my super wing tail, 25 grams of more powder, extra speed and distance.. bullets.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The black bear size is a good one ,most folks don't realize NC has the largest black bears in the world. BBQ. The unique costal geography/ culture/ ecology. The amazing diverse geography across the state from the highest point east of the Mississippi River to the costal black water rivers and cypress swamps draped in Spanish moss. NC's mountains are amazing and haven't been raped like other regions in the Appalachians.

Great state, unfourtanatley it hasn't gone unnoticed, too much human population growth

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest---------last remaining stand of virgin timber, if I'm not mistaken
Swinging bridge at Grandfather Mountain
Festivals for: Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Rhododendron, Pickles, Ramps, Shrimp, Native Americans, Fossils.......and that's only the ones I've attended or written about.

Then there is the Mountains to Sea Trail.

Last edited:

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of stuff on Daniel Boone,lived up in your neck of the woods for twenty years,met his wife Rebecca and got married here.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Look at the coast of NC on a map. Barrier islands...outer banks. Pretty much north to south. Also means our sounds and estuaries. The last may be reaching, but I think our outer banks make us unique. Also, Grave Yard of the Atlantic. Think that may be why we have numerous light houses. And Carolina Bays. SC probably have some though.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Rescue was the only one to bring it up. The outer banks are not unique only to NC, but the entire northern hemisphere. Not to mention. Fishermen come from all over the world to fish there and sightsee the various attractions.

Even the dialect is very distinct to eastern NC and south eastern Va. Think I heard one time that the dialect is only found there and is as true to what the English language actually sounded like when the area was colonized.