What else is in the surf now? Bait, flounder, pomps, etc.?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Heading to Nags Head with the family tomorrow for a beach day - probably Coquina. I'll pack some rods and see what I can do, given that it's not a complete surf-fishing trip. I imagine that drum and blues are on the menu, but how about flounder? We usually go to Emerald Isle where the water seems to be warmer and I rarely do these day trips up in Nags Head. I saw a nice 4.5-lb pomp on Facebook, caught on Ocracoke the other day. How about sand fleas?

Any advice if I don't bring any big rods? (Might bring a 9' spinner, otherwise 7' spinning stuff). Probably won't do the live bait thing unless the sand fleas are in town. Other than casting spoons for blues, I might go John Skinner on the flounder with a bucktail rig if the flatties are laying there.

Mountaineer91

Four Pointer
I have followed the reports closely and was there last weekend. Speckled trout fishing has been very good. I would consider fishing at the little bridge early in the morning (before you get to Nags Head but past
Pirate's Cove). Also, there was a run of very large whiting last weekend in the surf. I have not heard much about flounder yet. Check TWs bait and tackle for a daily fishing report. Lots of big blues for the first time in a long while.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I doubt I bring the heaver but I've packed a lot of Hopkins and the like. Oughta be able to connect on something!

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Drove passed the bait shops and got to the beach before I realized it. Casted Hopkins and other spoons on and off along with a jig/gulp combo occasionally. The Pelicans were having a hay day along with the dolphins less than a quarter mile off the beach in the clear water. Nothing in the brown stuff. A few folks with rods but no one fishing. We were there from low tide to almost high tide. When we left, the neighbor was finally breaking out his equipment to go bottom fishing for blues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk