Are food plots the same as baiting?

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I've never planted a plot, mostly because of money and time, but it's no big deal because I like to catch deer on their travel routes anyways. I wouldn't put a food plot on the same level as baiting, because it's much more natural and actually improves the environment instead of temporarily giving them food to bring them in range. However it is still trying to manipulate natural patterns, but so are calls, decoys etc and I don't see a problem with it. A corn pile is a different story. Worst in my opinion is timed feeders, not only do they unnaturally bring deer to your stand, but they program them to come at a particular time every day.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
If by "the same" you meaning putting out food to attract deer, then yes, they are the same. Planting crops would then add some nutritional advantage for the deer, I would think. Pouring out corn is faster and easier. My experience shows the cost is about the same, although the time difference is huge.

I tried planting crops, spent lots of time and a little money, for no real advantage. The man across the road grows corn and sells it 1000# at a time, to folks who dump it out near me. You folks here said I still need to put out corn even though I planted the crops. Makes no sense to me.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unfortunately if your neighbor puts out corn and you don't, then don't expect to see too many deer. I tried that for years. I finally started corning back in 2000. When the weather gets cold the deer go from corn pile to corn pile. I have seen bucks visit my corn and not show up again for 2 weeks .

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Unfortunately if your neighbor puts out corn and you don't, then don't expect to see too many deer. I tried that for years.
I agree, especially on smaller parcels of land or hunting spots that are close together. I call it "defensive corning" and "the corning arms race". But I've been told by some right here on this board that it ain't so. It sure is the case where I hunt.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
We only plant and have never put out any corn like our neighbors do. We haven't had any problems keeping deer or turkeys on our property. We always manage to kill a few decent bucks every year and plenty of does. We do have a larger piece of property.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah if you have a large piece of property with good food sources then corn is not a factor. My clover plays out in November in Rockingham so corn becomes King. Here in Harnett soybeans are king, corn only goes so far . All the nice bucks end up being killed near the bean fields that have not been picked yet.The deer and turkeys will follow the soybeans around here. Down at the dog club we have to put out Alot of corn. All our land is timber land with a few bermuda pastures around but all the agricultural fields are down the road from us or behind our tracts. We have to put out over 6000 pounds of corn from August to March. We are going to put in a good size foodplot this year down at the dog club for once.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's different at every property. There are absolutely places where you're not gonna beat 'em, so you might as well join 'em. I don't care what anyone on here says. If you're a strictly no-corn hunter, then you won't hunt there long.

I would say that most hunters who use corn would rather not. They would rather not spend the money, time, or effort. They would rather be sitting on such great natural food sources and travel routes that all they have to do is show up and sit in the right spot. Many would even prefer to plant food plots if that were even an option. The truth is, that with every Joe Blow hunting every 5 -acre parcel, 80% of the places being hunted are not top quality habitat, conducive for natural hunting. If you're lucky enough to be sitting on great habitat, count yourself lucky. For the rest of the hunters in NC, they have to grab a bag and start slinging.