Best tomatoes

baseball2828

Getting ready to plant tomatoes, I usually plant Better Boys but was wondering , which is the best tasting Tomato?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
In my experience, after grwing them for years, the best tasiting maters I have found I bought from the farmers market lol.

Big Beefey boys were the best I've ever grown though.

hurricanepeppers

Six Pointer
My opinion
Fresh eating tomato sun gold cherry tomato

Paste/ sauce tomato would be Roma

Slicing tomato would be Cherokee purple.

The heirlooms have such a better flavor. Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

witler

Eight Pointer
Wife and I like German Johnson, low acid content. There is a guy on Hwy 64 near Wilsonville that grows a bunch every year, German Johnson, Big Red and a couple of others. His prices are reasonable, cheaper than growing your own except for the enjoyment of growing your own.
Nothing like a fresh loaf of bread, a jar of Duke's mayonnaise and a German Johnson large enough that one slice covers the slice of bread, of course salt and pepper.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here's another vote for Cherokee Purple. My wife would not touch a fresh tomato, until I introduced her to Cherokee Purples. Now she is actually excited when I pick one.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Brandywine/brandy boys. That would get my vote. I imagine the old seeds would be best, but we have to plant seeds with resistincies.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Celebrity may be the best overall tomato. If all averages are taken into consideration, a celebrity is a strong tomato.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Celebrity may be the best overall tomato. If all averages are taken into consideration, a celebrity is a strong tomato.

Yes, celebrity is a good tomato we plant those as well along with brandywine's . German Johnson and a few better boys complete our tomato crop each year..Hopefully this year will be a good growing season for tomatoes in our area..

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Mater sandwiches! Duke mayonnaise (if you are not using Dukes, why even bother making one?). Cherokee purple is my favorite as well.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Mater sandwiches! Duke mayonnaise (if you are not using Dukes, why even bother making one?). Cherokee purple is my favorite as well.

Did I type this? I could have and should have.

Duke's and Cherokee Purple with some fresh homemade bread.

That is fine eats where I'm from!

fdtrucky

Six Pointer
My favorite since I discovered them 3 years ago have been the mortgage lifter large meaty tomato with few seeds and low acid.

richard11989

Flavorful cherry tomato varieties Husky Cherry Red, Sun Sugar, Black Cherry, and Super Sweet 100 make terrific snacks. The Roma Grape (also called Juliet) tomato is a bit larger and has lots of uses.

baseball2828

Thanks for all the suggestions, I went with Better Boy, Celebrity and Cherokee Purple..cant wait til about the last week in June

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cherokee purple and German Johnson are tought to beat. Maybe a yaller mater for the wife ir a Mr, Stripey just cause....good stuff.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
http://www.rareseeds.com/

This is the best site I have run across for buying heirloom seeds.
As for my tomato of choice is German Johnson, several slices of think cut crispy bacon, a Romaine lettuce leaf, salt, lots of black pepper, and homemade honey mustard dressing. I dont do mayo!!

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I love Rutgers for the taste,but they're heirloom so they're more likely to get disease...hard to beat celebrity for all around tomato.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
My favorite tomatoes to grow at the ones you can't find at the local farmer's market. This year I have black cherry, chocolate sprinkles, yellow pear, indigo rose, and sun gold.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Cherokee Purples and German Johnsons is what we plant here for eating tomatoes. For canning tomatoes we plant Roma's.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I like a good old fashioned Better Boy. The heirloom breed are great but for a tomato sandwich I want a Better Boy. I have been craving a fresh tomato sandwich for months btw.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I like a good old fashioned Better Boy. The heirloom breed are great but for a tomato sandwich I want a Better Boy. I have been craving a fresh tomato sandwich for months btw.

Better boys are hard to beat and the vines produce a lot of fruit usually. I have had them grow over 6' tall at times..