Fox season question

wl704

Ten Pointer
Can somebody help clarify the laws for fox east of I77? My read is the season is Sat before Thanksgiving till new years.

What throws me is the second clause cited at the ncwildlife.com foxseason page.

15A NCAC 10B .0212 - Foxes may be taken the Saturday next preceding Thanksgiving through January 1 by firearms or bow and arrow in all areas of the State east of Interstate Highway 77 and in Caldwell and Mitchell Counties with a daily bag limit of 2 and season limit of 10.

Foxes taken under this season may not be bought or sold.

S.L. 2009, c.43, H551 - Notwithstanding any other provision of law, there is an open season for taking foxes with weapons and by trapping during the trapping season set by the Wildlife Resources Commission each year, with no tagging requirements prior to or after sale. No bag limit applies to foxes taken under this act.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Yes. Basically you can run and gun foxes east of I-77 or shoot them with a bow or firearm from your deer stand from the dates mentioned above until New Year's. You have to leave them lay or toss them in the woods. You may only buy or sell foxes that have been legally trapped under a trapping license. Whether or not you can trap them depends on the county that you're trapping in. The laws are different county to county. The S.L. 2009, c.43, H551 is a trapping ordinance for a county. That means that in that county (or counties) that it applies to you can trap foxes during the established trapping season without tags or bag limits, regardless of what other statutes say.

Yes, it makes that much sense. This kind of confusion is why we've been trying for decades to get the fox regs changed. They make absolutely no sense like they are and are not set by any sort of biological standards. They are completely political.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
What makes you think the WRC will set biological seasons on foxes?

Do they even have any data to set fox seasons since they do not deal with them?

That is if the NCWRC doesn't want to declare them vermin like coyotes and open the season year around for private landowners and hunters.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
What makes you think the WRC will set biological seasons on foxes?

Do they even have any data to set fox seasons since they do not deal with them?

That is if the NCWRC doesn't want to declare them vermin like coyotes and open the season year around for private landowners and hunters.

That's not even worth a response.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
So you are telling me the NCWRC keeps data on two species they don't even manage?

As a matter of fact, Yes...since the state did that 1 year study, to stall and block a statewide fox trapping season about 3 yrs ago.

The study showed a statewide fox trapping season was viable, and it still as not passed it...bout the dumbest state I've ever lived in, just saying.

Last edited: