Deer and Cattle

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
What's everyone's opinion on hunting deer on property with cattle? Most people I've talked to have said that when they have cattle they have more deer, but from my experience it's the exact opposite. I never see deer when cattle are in the pasture I'm hunting, and I always see more deer on parts of our farm that the cows can't get to at all.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Deer love a cow pasture,especially the edges...they're just not too fond of cows.We have sections of pasture where we keep the cows on different sides,the deer are usually in the one the cows are not in.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer will use the edges to stay away from the cows has been my experience. Frigging cows will chase you in the dark walking to the stand though.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
After spending an hour or more herding stupid cows yesterday after one got by my truck and into a closed pasture...I hate cows, unless they are on the grill.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Deer love a cow pasture,especially the edges...they're just not too fond of cows.We have sections of pasture where we keep the cows on different sides,the deer are usually in the one the cows are not in.
^ My experience. The deer like the edges of the pastures .... but not when cows are in them.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer

That's what I've seen. When I'm hunting if the cows are anywhere on that side of the farm (our farm is split into 2 40ish acre pastures) I won't see a dang one. But as soon as the cows move to the other side, those fields and woods where they just were will be full of them.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Y'all done said it all. Cows chasing you in the dark. I had one lead cow that would seek the others on me during the daylight. I'm glad that cow is no longer on that farm.

I have seen cows chase deer off more than once. The deer generally won't be in the open with cows around. I have however seen cows on one side of a hedge row and deer on the other, while in the same pasture. Deer watch the cows like a hawk though.

Cow patties make for good cover scent. Makes for good camo face paint too!:D