Now here's two bills worth looking at ...

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I would support it if it also opened waterfowl hunting anywhere on public water anywhere in the state. Especially Pamlico, Dare and Currituck counties. We should all be able to hunt these places but greedy people and legislative cronyism keeps most of us out. NC could support public hunting if we spread it out and did not concentrate sound hunting to Hyde county.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Got a call from a friend who said WRC apparently IS NOT in support of the Sunday hunting bill. Word is the supporter(s) of the bill will do a run around in an attempt to get Sunday hunting passed. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hyde, I understand your point of view but that unto itself is an entirely different matter which would need major support from the GA. Been shut out of several counties now for 35 years, doubt anyone is going to try and "change" that. Not saying its right, just it would be a hard sell ...

Gus

Six Pointer
No ducks in Dare or Currituck anyway. They all pass us by
on their way to the 'legal' bait in the rich, greedy, non resident's impoundment known as Hyde Co.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Well, at least every non-waterfowl NC hunter now knows how elitist, self centered, greedy and entitled most of the NC duck hunters are.
:donk:p:donk:don:p:donk To hell with everyone but us. :donk:p:donk:p::donk:p.
Kids can't go in late or take a day off during the week to hunt. What about them?:(
Heres a thought, if you don't want waterfowl hunting on Sunday, lobby to opt it out of these SH bills instead of trying to kill the entire bill.
Since most of you only think about your duck season, how about this.
Apparently our NC flocks are in a down cycle so maybe the NCWRC needs to shorten the seasons [Feds say 60 days maximum, but don't mandate 60 days] until the flocks return to healthy numbers.
Maybe the non-waterfowl hunters need to let the NCGA and the NCWRC know how they feel about our falling duck numbers and ask what they are going to do about it.
New thread idea I suppose and a few stories in local papers to get the public onboard with the crash in our duck numbers and get their ideas on what to do about it.

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Well, at least every non-waterfowl NC hunter now knows how elitist, self centered, greedy and entitled most of the NC duck hunters are.
Kids can't go in late or take a day off during the week to hunt. What about them?:(
Heres a thought, if you don't want waterfowl hunting on Sunday, lobby to opt it out of these SH bills instead of trying to kill the entire bill.

The weekday hunter has 5 days to hunt. The weekend hunter has 1 day. Seems fair that the weekday hunter hunt only Wednesday and Thursday and allow the weekend hunter have Saturday and Sunday.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
In my opinion the best answer is one I heard discussed last February in a joint house/senate wildlife committee hearing on the subject. zone the state so that the hunters west of either Hwy 17 or I 95 have their Oct wood duck season and end their season earlier.
The Eastern part of the state forgoes the OCt season. this would account for most of the days.
In order to do this the WRC has to file a plan with the feds. They have a chance every three years and I think that window is open this year (not sure).

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Since most of you only think about your duck season, how about this.
Apparently our NC flocks are in a down cycle so maybe the NCWRC needs to shorten the seasons [Feds say 60 days maximum, but don't mandate 60 days] until the flocks return to healthy numbers.
Maybe the non-waterfowl hunters need to let the NCGA and the NCWRC know how they feel about our falling duck numbers and ask what they are going to do about it.
New thread idea I suppose and a few stories in local papers to get the public onboard with the crash in our duck numbers and get their ideas on what to do about it.

Dear Shady Cove, not sure if you are being facetious about duck numbers. If you read the federal and DU reports you know that duck numbers are well above the long term averages. North Carolina harvest about twice as many ducks as the next closest state in the Atlantic flyway. We have plenty of ducks, often times not good weather for killing them. I see you are from the piedmont and the duck hunting issues there are different than the eastern part of the state.
My comments are about public water hunting on NC's sounds. Not an issue for the private places such as impoundments because they usually only hunt once or twice a week because they know what pressure will do.
If the public waters that are open to the public (only 1 of the top 5 counties for harvest will let either you or me hunt near shore) on both Saturday and Sunday the harvest on the second day will be almost non existent unless there is a big weather event or there is illegally placed bait. Back to back heavy pressure days has a big impact on ducks. If the hunting were spread out to the other counties there may be a case.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
In my opinion the best answer is one I heard discussed last February in a joint house/senate wildlife committee hearing on the subject. zone the state so that the hunters west of either Hwy 17 or I 95 have their Oct wood duck season and end their season earlier.
The Eastern part of the state forgoes the OCt season. this would account for most of the days.
In order to do this the WRC has to file a plan with the feds. They have a chance every three years and I think that window is open this year (not sure).
Yeah thats a terrible idea. They tried to get rid of october season a few years ago. We squashed that quick once word got out. Take away the entire early season so we can sunday hunt?? :mad::donk

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Yeah thats a terrible idea. They tried to get rid of october season a few years ago. We squashed that quick once word got out. Take away the entire early season so we can sunday hunt?? :mad::donk

So you feel that YOUR very short early duck season [for the small percent of total NC hunters who duck hunt] is more important than SH for hundreds of thousands of other NC hunters. We needed you too confirm this for all NC hunters and you obliged in fine form, thank you sir.
Personally, I feel that if EVERY other state near us can hunt on Sunday, NC should be able too as well.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer

Do you really hunt the coastal NC counties in Oct? Everyone I know does not.. I hunt wood ducks and local mallards in the swamps along the neuse river in the central part of the state but not often.. usually to hot and too many snakes and mosquitoes.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
So you feel that YOUR very short early duck season [for the small percent of total NC hunters who duck hunt] is more important than SH for hundreds of thousands of other NC hunters. We needed you too confirm this for all NC hunters and you obliged in fine form, thank you sir.
Personally, I feel that if EVERY other state near us can hunt on Sunday, NC should be able too as well.
Its not just MINE. Its every bodies. Just because you do not take advantage of it doesnt mean other people do not as well. That four day season has been a part of duck hunting in NC for as long as I can remember. Lets not take from one group so we can appease another. :confused: I was just saying it wasnt a great idea, as some people look forward to that time in the season. Either way I think sunday hunting is inevitable and october season isnt going anywhere

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
However, I would rather hunt the coastal counties in January than I Oct if we have to give up days for Sunday hunting. I know we will still have 60 days but there will be less total weeks. Usually in Oct we do not have the migrators yet and usually in Jan. we do.

Gus

Six Pointer
Some of our neighboring states (TN) with Sunday hunting take the last Sat in Jan as their end date, and count backwards 60 days from there for their start date-typically Thanksgiving-ish. 60 straight days. I'd much rather have what we got. Imho of the three months Dec is by far the least productive. The calender ducks have moved on and the weather ducks haven't pushed down yet. Plus pressure is high on the few ducks that are here.
I realize it may be completely different in other parts of the state (I know Dare is better in Dec than Nov generally) but I'd hate to trade days in Nov for days in Dec.
I like the Oct. season and would prefer to keep the whole deal like it is.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Some of our neighboring states (TN) with Sunday hunting take the last Sat in Jan as their end date, and count backwards 60 days from there for their start date-typically Thanksgiving-ish. 60 straight days. I'd much rather have what we got. Imho of the three months Dec is by far the least productive. The calender ducks have moved on and the weather ducks haven't pushed down yet. Plus pressure is high on the few ducks that are here.
I realize it may be completely different in other parts of the state (I know Dare is better in Dec than Nov generally) but I'd hate to trade days in Nov for days in Dec.
I like the Oct. season and would prefer to keep the whole deal like it is.

Yeah i agree. Take the days from december. Its usually pretty slow up till new years accept the opener or if we hit some nasty weather. November is good and january is good. Lose december

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
The bill has passed the House, however it was revised significantly. Basically allows small game and deer hunting (no dogs) all day Sunday but still keeps the 500 yd distance rule from places of worship and houses. Does not eliminate the county option to opt out of Sunday hunting by their own local ordinance after Oct 2017 which could become a problem if counties begin go opt out. But the main kicker is migratory bird hunting was stripped from the bill and rewritten so that implementation, if approved, would be no earlier than March 1, 2018. The only way it can be approved is by authorization of proclamation or rules of the WRC. And the WRC must complete a comprehensive study associated with hunting migratory birds, then submit it's findings to the Speaker of the House, Pres Pro Tem of the Senate, and the chair or chairs of the House Committee on Wildlife Resources. In short, it's even more complicated and a political mess than it was before. Lot of politics going on here.

It now goes to the Senate ....where who knows what will happen. ;:rolleyes:

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Yeah its frustrating with how much the politics and pandering is being put into something simple. Like I have said before I dont want it but this back and forth is BS and is just making it more complicated than it needs to be. Everyone was up in arms about it in Va, yelling the same stuff about noise on sunday and disrupting church and the rest. They passed it and any and all discussion quickly went away as everyone realized it wasnt a big deal. Pass it or dont but all this limping along with amendments and exceptions is a pain

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
In VA you still have to stay away from churches to hunt (200 yards I think).

Apparently also allows the director of the wildlife agency to put restrictions on waterfowl hunting.

Allows a landowner and his family or a person with written permission from the landowner to hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including nuisance species, on the landowner’s property on Sunday, except within 200 yards of a house of worship or any accessory structure thereof. “Landowner” refers to all private landowners (including persons and entities). Public lands are not included.
It also allows for waterfowl (ducks, coot, geese, brant and swans) hunting on Sundays subject to restrictions imposed by the Director of the Department and except within 200 yards of a house of worship or any accessory structure thereof.
Continues to allow raccoon hunting until 2 a.m. Sunday mornings.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
In VA you still have to stay away from churches to hunt (200 yards I think).

Apparently also allows the director of the wildlife agency to put restrictions on waterfowl hunting.

Yeah its only private land as well. You should have to stay 200 yards from a church to hunt period, not just sunday

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Its not just MINE. Its every bodies. Just because you do not take advantage of it doesnt mean other people do not as well. That four day season has been a part of duck hunting in NC for as long as I can remember. Lets not take from one group so we can appease another. :confused: I was just saying it wasnt a great idea, as some people look forward to that time in the season. Either way I think sunday hunting is inevitable and october season isnt going anywhere

Of the +/- 400,000 hunters in NC, how many buy a duck stamp?

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Not sure. Why??

Because in your post [#43] you used the words MINE and every bodies.
I was just seeing if you knew how many hunters bought a duck stamp [much less hunted the 4 day season] in NC. And then we could compare that number with the number of ALL hunters in NC [400,000 or everybody else].
I am glad that you have always hunted those 4 days but I don't think that taking away even a single Sunday hunting day from the rest of the NC hunters is fair to them. I am positive that less than 10% of NC license holders bought a duck stamp last year [approx. 35,000] and I am guessing that the 4-day season was used by maybe 500 duck hunters.
No time to finish the math but it sure isn't a very large percentage of the NC duck hunters and it has to be <.01 percent of all the hunters in NC.
When we were trying to get Sunday hunting, I saw alot of this line of thought in the opponents of SH.
Me, mine, me, mine, me, mine and to Hell with anyone who steps on THEIR status quo.

Last edited:

Gus

Six Pointer
The 35,000 duck hunters are the ONLY hunters in NC who cannot hunt on Sundays right now. You other 400,000 can hunt on Sundays. I didn't see y'all starting no petitions about us not getting to hunt right along with y'all. It was we got ours, who gives a rip about the stupid fowlers.
Some of us think not having Sunday duck hunting is a good thing, JUST LIKE IT IS NOW. We don't have any problem whatsoever wit you other 400000 huntin whatever, wherever or whenever on Sunday. We ain't against Sunday huntin, were against Sunday duck hunting. Y'all set it up however you want just leave waterfowl out alltogether- like was done last time.
I'd guess closer to 25%(8000-9000) of NC duck hunters hunt at least one of the Oct. days.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
The waterfowlers openly opposed SH and fought it tooth and nail [this is why you are the only folks who cannot hunt on Sunday now]. Your leaders sold you out, not the SH supporters.
I will wait and see about NC this time since I can and do hunt other states whose DNRs are less controlled by a few politically powerful folks as NC is.
SH is and has been the norm for many years in ALL of those states.

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Because in your post [#43] you used the words MINE and every bodies.
I was just seeing if you knew how many hunters bought a duck stamp [much less hunted the 4 day season] in NC. And then we could compare that number with the number of ALL hunters in NC [400,000 or everybody else].
I am glad that you have always hunted those 4 days but I don't think that taking away even a single Sunday hunting day from the rest of the NC hunters is fair to them. I am positive that less than 10% of NC license holders bought a duck stamp last year [approx. 35,000] and I am guessing that the 4-day season was used by maybe 500 duck hunters.
No time to finish the math but it sure isn't a very large percentage of the NC duck hunters and it has to be <.01 percent of all the hunters in NC.
When we were trying to get Sunday hunting, I saw alot of this line of thought in the opponents of SH.
Me, mine, me, mine, me, mine and to Hell with anyone who steps on THEIR status quo.
There is always one sunday hunting proponent who starts throwing a fit when people disagree with him. Saw the same thing with a guy who was pro sunday hunting in virginia. I guess we know who that is on here. :donk :wave: Take it easy. Sorry I dont support it and sorry I would like to see october season continue. Like I said, sunday hunting is probably inevitable for ducks and october season isnt going anywhere.

Gus

Six Pointer
Yeah those mythical "leaders" sold us out. Who,exactly, are these "leaders" who represent all,or most,or even some of us 35,000 fowlers? And how did the "leaders" sell us out if, as you claim, we were all anti sun hunting anyway?
Don't wait on my account. You go right ahead and try to convince the WRC duck numbers are down and you want the season closed. Let us know how that works out....

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Bill passed the senate with revisions. 0n to the governor to sign- maybe. Still no migratory bird hunting until WRC comes up with a comprehensive study and presents it to many factions next year. Can read about it on NRA-ILA site. "Pro Huunting Bill".