Now here's two bills worth looking at ...

shurshot

Ten Pointer
So you want to hunt ducks on Sundays in NC? Here it is ........and it will probably go through according to a reliable source. In this bill, you'd be able to hunt private and public lands, including game lands. But WRC would have to come up with specific rules for this and take it public hearings, then back to them, etc. which could take up to year. There are also time and distance restrictions, along with county opt outs still left intact in this bill.
This link will also let you follow the progress of this bill

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2017&BillID=h559&submitButton=Go

But low and behold, here comes another bill that among other things includes repealing GS103-2 (Sunday hunting) and leaves regulation of Sunday hunting up to WRC. Also repeals the provision that counties can opt out of Sunday hunting by ordinance after Oct. 2017 (which they presently can). This one will probably be a battle since it basically will treat Sunday as most any other day.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2017&BillID=H614

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,,But low and behold, here comes another bill that among other things includes repealing GS103-2 (Sunday hunting) and leaves regulation of Sunday hunting up to WRC. Also repeals the provision that counties can opt out of Sunday hunting by ordinance after Oct. 2017 (which they presently can). This one will probably be a battle since it basically will treat Sunday as most any other day.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2017&BillID=H614

I have no issue with that

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Sunday is Just another day. No different from a Tuesday other than I don't have to be at work.
Cant wait for the day I can shoot duck on Sunday in NC

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think the first bill will open up Sunday hunting on Jordan or Falls game lands along with other federal lands. The bill states "public lands of the State". It doesn't seem to apply to federal lands. Same with ducks on federal waters.

Last edited:

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I don't believe federal law prevents duck hunting on Sunday. That has always been a state thing. I would assume all public waters would be open in that case. I may be way off here, just thinking with the keyboard

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I don't believe federal law prevents duck hunting on Sunday. That has always been a state thing. I would assume all public waters would be open in that case. I may be way off here, just thinking with the keyboard

You are probably right. I'm not a duck hunter. I tossed the duck part in at the end. Your reasoning probably could extend to deer/small game hunting as well. It's probably just a state prohibition. Someone can reply to say Sunday hunting is fine on federal lands of other states. Learn something new every day.

Jmac

The 3 day a week for waterfowl gamelands may re-do their 3 day schedule but I doubt it

ridenismo

Six Pointer
I hunted ducks every sunday when living in NY, its definitely a state thing with no sunday hunting.

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
I could be wrong but if they allow hunting on Sundays, wouldn't they end up making the season shorter?

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I could be wrong but if they allow hunting on Sundays, wouldn't they end up making the season shorter?

In terms of actual days for waterfowl, no. 60 days is 60 days. Now if you are talking about a shortened "time frame", then yes since the Feds allow us compensatory days for not being able to hunt on Sundays. But it wouldn't be but about a week worth of days.

As this relates to doves (migratory birds), we actually would pick up "extra days to hunt" because the Feds don't allow us compensatory days, thus we have been losing them.

Last edited:

Gus

Six Pointer
I don't think I want to trade 8 regular hunt days for 8 'restricted' hunt days. I'd need to see exactly what the hours and distance rules are gonna be before supporting it. 1:00-4:00pm on Sun.s isn't very productive. I'd also need to know exactly which dates they are giving up to add in Sundays. If they are taking the days out of Nov. or Jan. I'm against it.
And I'm dang sure against 'let's just pass it and let WRC figure out the details later'.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I don't think I want to trade 8 regular hunt days for 8 'restricted' hunt days. I'd need to see exactly what the hours and distance rules are gonna be before supporting it. 1:00-4:00pm on Sun.s isn't very productive. I'd also need to know exactly which dates they are giving up to add in Sundays. If they are taking the days out of Nov. or Jan. I'm against it.
And I'm dang sure against 'let's just pass it and let WRC figure out the details later'.

This! If the people who set the rules actually knew what they were doing then I would be more open minded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Yesterday, HB 614 (not the bill held up in the Senate last week) was read/passed and then referred to the committee on wildlife resources. Hopefully it will get a fair review there and continue on.

I understand the above concerns but if this bill passes, it effectively repeals the general statute on Sunday hunting restrictions and the counties abilities to opt out by ordinance if they so choose. Yes, it puts WRC in charge of regulating Sunday hunting but they will have to take it to public hearing, etc. and receive input before laying it in stone. The last opinion poll to allow Sunday hunting I saw was very much in support of it w/o restrictions.

So, imo, IF this bill passes, we would see Sunday hunting w/o special restrictions. I would guess WRC would keep the 4 day Oct. opener (too many wood duck hunters statewide) and start the Nov. split a week later than usual to account for the Sundays. In all likelihood, the last split would run to the very last day allowable in Jan. set forth in the federal framework.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
In my humble opinion this would not be n the best interest of the majority of duck hunters in our state. in the counties where citizens can hunt in the sound, the added pressure would just cause ducks to leave. Pressure is a big influence on ducks.
I get the "I have to work during the week and I want as many days to hunt as possible thing" , I have tried to work with my employer so that I can hunt in the morning and be at work by 8:30 or 9.
I could only agree with losing a week off of the season if they made the season later (into the first two weeks of Feb)

The real issue with lack of duck hunting opportunities in our state rest with the legislative theft of our public trust rights with the Safe Hunter Law (Carteret and Pamlico Counties) and the Game Commissions (in Dare and Currituck). these have caused very limited opportunities for hunting on public waters in 4 of the top five counties for waterfowl harvest in our state.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
In my humble opinion this would not be n the best interest of the majority of duck hunters in our state. in the counties where citizens can hunt in the sound, the added pressure would just cause ducks to leave. Pressure is a big influence on ducks.
I get the "I have to work during the week and I want as many days to hunt as possible thing" , I have tried to work with my employer so that I can hunt in the morning and be at work by 8:30 or 9.
I could only agree with losing a week off of the season if they made the season later (into the first two weeks of Feb)

The real issue with lack of duck hunting opportunities in our state rest with the legislative theft of our public trust rights with the Safe Hunter Law (Carteret and Pamlico Counties) and the Game Commissions (in Dare and Currituck). these have caused very limited opportunities for hunting on public waters in 4 of the top five counties for waterfowl harvest in our state.

I disagree with your first point. You only have have to look at all the other states that have Sunday hunting to see that it doesn't push birds out.

Your last point is spot on.

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
I could care less about it as I try to take a morning off during the week and hunt before I want to get out there a play bumper boats on the weekends

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Yeah i want it to stay the way it is as well for sunday hunting. Saturday is a mess and I usually do my best to stay away from public land. During the week its way better to be out on the water. Sunday hunting is a bad idea. Most people in virginia who are serious hunters dislike sunday hunting. The casual hunter seems to be more of a fan than the serious one from the people I have talked to.
As to the pressure argument, I know it works elsewhere, but you cant tell me that another weekend day of hunting, or another day of hunting period, will help to keep more birds in the area. It will only hurt.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Yeah i want it to stay the way it is as well for sunday hunting. Saturday is a mess and I usually do my best to stay away from public land. During the week its way better to be out on the water. Sunday hunting is a bad idea. Most people in virginia who are serious hunters dislike sunday hunting. The casual hunter seems to be more of a fan than the serious one from the people I have talked to.
As to the pressure argument, I know it works elsewhere, but you cant tell me that another weekend day of hunting, or another day of hunting period, will help to keep more birds in the area. It will only hurt.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This........I agree completely

Gus

Six Pointer
Just caught the tail end of a news report saying they are proposing duck hunting after 12:30 on Sundays.
If the report was accurate that is rediculous.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
If you need to have one day a week where there is no hunting to keep pressure off, then designate Wednesday as the day. Or Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.

Why Sunday is a mess on public land and not all those other days you find a pleasant hunting experience? Because people are working. It's the whole point about Sunday hunting. It's to allow hunter that work weekdays to have more than one day to hunt per week. Not everyone has a lot of vacation days to use to go hunting.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Right now the hearing on the bill and others was cancelled for this week.

The deadline to pass it is April 27th (crossover)

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Just caught the tail end of a news report saying they are proposing duck hunting after 12:30 on Sundays.
If the report was accurate that is rediculous.

Unless a new bill has been introduced, that report is not accurate. The bill that's still alive eliminates the no hunting closure between 9:30-12:30 however, it does keep that time frame as law IF you are hunting within 500 yds. of a church or dwelling.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Right now the hearing on the bill and others was cancelled for this week.

The deadline to pass it is April 27th (crossover)

HB 614 got the ax a week ago in the House Wildlife Committee. That bill was to basically treat Sunday hunting like any other day. The original bill, HB 559 did come up in committee last week where no action was taken but will be heard later in the session. It basically allows migratory bird hunting but does have the 930-1230 closure clause within 500 yds. of churches and dwellings.

CDC, don't know where you obtained your info (which might be current)? I did, however, receive an update yesterday evening saying the bill was going to be heard tomorrow (Wed.). Regardless, I still understand it will be heard.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I got an official email saying the meeting tomorrow of the wildlife committee to discuss and vote on this bill has been cancelled.

It may very well get rescheduled.

Also the companion bill in the state senate has gone nowhere.

So there is that also.

Plus these bills can be and are amended.

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
If you need to have one day a week where there is no hunting to keep pressure off, then designate Wednesday as the day. Or Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.

Why Sunday is a mess on public land and not all those other days you find a pleasant hunting experience? Because people are working. It's the whole point about Sunday hunting. It's to allow hunter that work weekdays to have more than one day to hunt per week. Not everyone has a lot of vacation days to use to go hunting.

I get why its being proposed. I dont support it myself but I get it. I still stand by the fact that sunday hunting will hurt the number of waterfowl using a given area by adding an extra heavily pressured day. North Carolina isnt louisiana or texas or arkansas. We have less birds and less area to hunt and more people hunting in these smaller areas. I dont think it will ruin duck hunting in north carolina, but an extra day wont help in regards to number of birds we hold. Pro sunday hunters need to get that fact straight as that always seems to be thrown around

To be completely honest, if they do sunday hunting private land only like VA, it will benefit me more than hurt. However I like the day off as it stands now. I believe its coming for waterfowl either way

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I get why its being proposed. I dont support it myself but I get it. I still stand by the fact that sunday hunting will hurt the number of waterfowl using a given area by adding an extra heavily pressured day. North Carolina isnt louisiana or texas or arkansas. We have less birds and less area to hunt and more people hunting in these smaller areas. I dont think it will ruin duck hunting in north carolina, but an extra day wont help in regards to number of birds we hold. Pro sunday hunters need to get that fact straight as that always seems to be thrown around

To be completely honest, if they do sunday hunting private land only like VA, it will benefit me more than hurt. However I like the day off as it stands now. I believe its coming for waterfowl either way

I'm with you on all your points, very well put. The only correction I'd make is if the present bill passes, it would also include being able to hunt on public/gamelands too. The final rules would be determined by WRC after input/public hearings, which would take quite some time to go through the process.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I got an official email saying the meeting tomorrow of the wildlife committee to discuss and vote on this bill has been cancelled.

It may very well get rescheduled.

Also the companion bill in the state senate has gone nowhere.

So there is that also.

Plus these bills can be and are amended.

The companion bill (SB 624) is pretty much in waiting to see how the other bill proceeds through the process. I don't understand all this positioning but it's just the way the political process in nc plays out. It's a waiting game ...

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
There was a lot of opposition to Sunday hunting back in 2015 when the original legalization bill was passed hence all the restrictions.

I would not be surprised if that opposition is still there. Dunno.

You are right the House is moving first and taking action.

See what happens.

Last edited: