excited like my grandkids at Christmas,,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
realized last summer that my lab was getting some age on her,,,,she's 12 this spring,,,,,,,

so I began the hunt/planning/investigation on replacing her. For many years I'd been playing with the desire to get a "versatile breed",,,,,,so that was the direction I leaned. I hunt a variety of game so wanted to try this,,,,,,,

first I looked at German Wirehaired Pointers, then learned the testing difference between them and Deutsch Drahthaar,,,,,went to a fall hunt test back in Oct, then a spring test end of February,,,,,,,,yeap, a DD it is,,,,,,

over the last year I did research on the breed, lines, etc,,,,,,learned about "performance litters",,,and how to read the info on a dog (from hunt tests, etc)..........

anyhow - have a deposit on a pup,,,,they were born 24 March,,,,,,,,I am really looking forward to working with this pup,,,,,,,

XAByGYrV6s5-W-eWuVcTgEb-8I-Ga5HCc8vIrwidI0CVOIf_9ecMHlzEwOyNO6AwLpIsetAKTCrb-w=w293-h220

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are supposed to be a well rounded dog that's not overly hyper, great choice and congrads on finding one, I understand they aren't easy to find.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
They are supposed to be a well rounded dog that's not overly hyper, great choice and congrads on finding one, I understand they aren't easy to find.

I spent a lot of time at those two hunt tests just observing how the dogs worked and handled,,,,,(not competitions, tests of the dogs against a set of standards like the HRC stuff),,,,,,they do appear well rounded and the temperament fits me,,,,,

now if I can bring out the dogs natural abilities and not mess her up!!

looking at bird hunting, waterfowl, and deer tracking,,,,will also attempt to work on furred game,,,,won't be a tree dog but I know they will run/retrieve rabbits so may make a dang squirrel dog too!

Last edited:

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
What does Deutsch Drahthaar translate to?:cool: Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist.

Enjoy your pup. They're a lot of fun. Mine does point/tree squirrels. Actually, IME they will point/chase anything til they learn that its no interest to you. You ought to come out to some of the NAVHDA meetings, they aren't too far from you IIRC.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What does Deutsch Drahthaar translate to?:cool: Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist.

Enjoy your pup. They're a lot of fun. Mine does point/tree squirrels. Actually, IME they will point/chase anything til they learn that its no interest to you. You ought to come out to some of the NAVHDA meetings, they aren't too far from you IIRC.

yes, many GWP owners want to say they are the same,,,,,,but I looked at each and I personally preferred the DD breedings,,,,,,and Ja,,Ich kenne die englische Übersetzung von deutsch drahthaar,,,,Ich spreche Deutsch ein bisschen, aber bitte spreche langsam oder ich verstehe dich nicht,,,,,,and I also know what the "standards" are for a breeding of the AKC versus the VDD,,,,,,it was part of my analysis and part of my decision process,,,,,,and I prefer the VDD,,,,,,I guess that's why there is a bazillion and one breeds of dogs,,,,,,

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

thanks,,,,already have the NAVHDA application printed,,,,expect I'll attend some of them if you all will have me,,,,,,,,

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
yes, many GWP owners want to say they are the same,,,,,,but I looked at each and I personally preferred the DD breedings,,,,,,and Ja,,Ich kenne die englische Übersetzung von deutsch drahthaar,,,,Ich spreche Deutsch ein bisschen, aber bitte spreche langsam oder ich verstehe dich nicht,,,,,,and I also know what the "standards" are for a breeding of the AKC versus the VDD,,,,,,it was part of my analysis and part of my decision process,,,,,,and I prefer the VDD,,,,,,I guess that's why there is a bazillion and one breeds of dogs,,,,,,

I'm just needling you. The VDD-GNA program produces great dogs, and the data involved makes it easy to have a good idea of exactly what you're getting. Post a picture when you get her.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm just needling you. The VDD-GNA program produces great dogs, and the data involved makes it easy to have a good idea of exactly what you're getting. Post a picture when you get her.

ya got me,,,,,,,,,