Clover and Chicory Plot coming in!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I planted a 1/3 acre plot at the power line and a 1 acre plot in my fields. Both were planted with a clover/Chicory mix. They are coming up and I'm very excited. Can't wait to plant my corn in a few weeks and soybeans a few weeks later. The turkeys and deer are already in the plot.
I have an additional 2 one acre plots tilled and ready to plant. I was going to plant one acre with corn/bean combo and the other acre half with soybeans and half acre of sunflowers.
Thoughts?

97c36126b1d47dddf5a30b35545fc7b5.jpg
9a5d770eb255a0e1845f2f8711a4cb78.jpg
62d810ce3a478831b46433bcbdc2e9c9.jpg
4625e6d55919ee269bfda841d1142ee7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You are doing a great job on those plots, and with this rain you ought to see some greenery really soon. That clay usually needs lots of lime for a successful clover plot. Hopefully you got a soil test before planting , but if not it's never too late to spread lime. It'll keep some of the joint grasses and broomstraw at bay too until the clover can get established.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
You are doing a great job on those plots, and with this rain you ought to see some greenery really soon. That clay usually needs lots of lime for a successful clover plot. Hopefully you got a soil test before planting , but if not it's never too late to spread lime. It'll keep some of the joint grasses and broomstraw at bay too until the clover can get established.

I put about 1,000 pounds of lime per acre. I did not get a test done and it was a big mistake! I will next year. Do you think 1,000 pounds is adequate or a little light?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Typically it's about 2000 pounds per acre for most NC soils, but some need none at all. A soil test csn save you lots on just fertilizer too. Some soils need only a single component if you're lucky.

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Get your soil test done now. On the the soil sample information sheet there is a place to put liming in the last 12 months.

Be careful mixing the beans and corn, too heavy on the corn and you shade the beans. Look into mixing Lablab with the corn instead of soybeans.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Get your soil test done now. On the the soil sample information sheet there is a place to put liming in the last 12 months.

Be careful mixing the beans and corn, too heavy on the corn and you shade the beans. Look into mixing Lablab with the corn instead of soybeans.

Thanks, what is lablab?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Interesting, and you have tried this bean with success?

Tried them last last year for the first time. Some of the vines next to the woods went up about 8 feet. They were still lush and green after 70 days without rain. Took the deer a little while to figure out that it was good it.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can still apply lime periodically. The clover will benefit from pellet lime. Pellet lime takes about 3 months to completely break down in heavy clay but it will start working for the clover usually after the first half inch of rain.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do a soil test. It's free during most of the year. Once you get the pH right, in the piedmont and mountains you will only need to apply lime about once every 3 years. In the coastal plain, because it is sandier and will leach faster, every 2 years to every year depending upon the soil.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Thanks guys! I am going to do a soil test today! I might be a little light on lime.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Do a soil test. It's free during most of the year. Once you get the pH right, in the piedmont and mountains you will only need to apply lime about once every 3 years. In the coastal plain, because it is sandier and will leach faster, every 2 years to every year depending upon the soil.

So I did a ph test of the soil I'm my clover plot and the proposed corn plot.
Clover ph is 6.0
Corn ph is 7.0

Should I add more lime to the clover?

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Good looking plots. If you have a decent supply of deer your one acre bean plots will not last long in my experience.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Good looking plots. If you have a decent supply of deer your one acre bean plots will not last long in my experience.

Thanks! I do have a lot of deer! Do you think I'm wasting a good plot by planting beans? What would you suggest as an alternative?

099b5f1654b4dbc877b0a10863f0b1bb.jpg

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
The true purpose of the food plot is to feed the wildlife so this will take place. You should try it and see how it goes. It looks like you have more room to expand it you need too. If the plot gets eaten to the ground you can always come back in late August or early September and plant you fall plots and add beans or peas to it which will be a hot early bow season attraction.

This is the fun part to the off season. Trying to figure out what works best and getting it to work in your favor.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
The true purpose of the food plot is to feed the wildlife so this will take place. You should try it and see how it goes. It looks like you have more room to expand it you need too. If the plot gets eaten to the ground you can always come back in late August or early September and plant you fall plots and add beans or peas to it which will be a hot early bow season attraction.

This is the fun part to the off season. Trying to figure out what works best and getting it to work in your favor.

Thanks! I now have a new problem! Adjoining my fields are 40 acres of Ag fields owned by my neighbor. He has not planted them in the last few years due to health problems. I just bought this property in Oct and since he does not live at the property have not met him yet.
Yesterday I noticed someone bush hogged and plowed his fields. My guess is he is planting either corn or beans. I need to find out which. This may alter my plan some!

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Good looking plots. What are you using or going to use for weed control in the Clover / Chicory? Thanks! Mike

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Good looking plots. What are you using or going to use for weed control in the Clover / Chicory? Thanks! Mike

Actually, that's a good question! I have not given it much thought but I know it's coming up! I'll have to ask at Gragg's FarmSupply where I buy my seed and fertilizer!
Any suggestions?