Food Plot

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Can I plant soybeans in the rows between my corn? I figure if the soybeans give off nitrogen and the corn craves nitrogen this might be a good combo. The beans might help with weed control as well.
Thoughts? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
soybeans need lots of sunlight, they may very well not produce well but if you're looking for greenery then you should be fine.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I'm wondering will the soybeans start producing nitrogen in time for the corns needs.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Legumes (soybeans) are nitrogen fixing. They gather nitrogen from the soil (using special bacteria) and store it in nodules along the roots. Then when the plant dies and breaks down, this stored nitrogen is released into the soil. They don't "give off" nitrogen while growing. That's why they are planted in a rotation with corn, not together.

I have seen people plant winter peas in the rows with corn, but it's not for the nitrogen producing capability.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Soybeans don't need a lot of fertilizer, while corn will take as much as you can throw at it. You may make some really good greenery on your beans, but probably not many beans per acre. If you are using this only for a food plot I think you'll be ok for browse, although climbing beans or peas would probably do better with corn since they have a narrower habit and climb to reach more sunlight.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Soybeans don't need a lot of fertilizer, while corn will take as much as you can throw at it. You may make some really good greenery on your beans, but probably not many beans per acre. If you are using this only for a food plot I think you'll be ok for browse, although climbing beans or peas would probably do better with corn since they have a narrower habit and climb to reach more sunlight.

Thanks!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Legumes (soybeans) are nitrogen fixing. They gather nitrogen from the soil (using special bacteria) and store it in nodules along the roots. Then when the plant dies and breaks down, this stored nitrogen is released into the soil. They don't "give off" nitrogen while growing. That's why they are planted in a rotation with corn, not together.

I have seen people plant winter peas in the rows with corn, but it's not for the nitrogen producing capability.

Thanks! It was just a thought albeit not a good one! My original plan was pole beans or winter peas with the corn, guess I'll stick with that!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer

My plan for the corn was to plant with 10-20-20 and then when the corn is about 12-18" top dress with 34-0-0. Does that sound right?

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Yeah, it's usually the fertilizer that costs the most.

I bought 700 pounds of 10-20-20 and 200 lbs of 34-0-0 for $215.00 and I think I have about $225.00 in lime . Another $50.00 in Clover and chicory seed and probably have another $200 in seed before it's over.
Then there's fall planting! Expensive venison!!! Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ncnat

Ten Pointer
I bought 700 pounds of 10-20-20 and 200 lbs of 34-0-0 for $215.00 and I think I have about $225.00 in lime . Another $50.00 in Clover and chicory seed and probably have another $200 in seed before it's over.
Then there's fall planting! Expensive venison!!! Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Expensive, yes, but your feeding way more than deer.