Thoughts on a Howa mini action 7.62x39 bolt rifle

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Personally, I think a sub-6 lb rifle in any of the offered chamberings would be a useful rifle to have in one's inventory. I've contemplated trying one in .223 or 6.5 myself.

ETA: The only downside to the mini-Howa is its proprietary magazine. They're a bit pricey $50 a pop.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
never owned a mini-howa but have and have had several howa made rifles,,,,,fine enough rifles

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have owned a few Howa based and Howa rifles and never had any faults with them. Had they been left handed I'd still own them.

I bought my wife a CZ 527 bolt action carbine in 7.62x39 over a decade ago and it has accounted for several deer. The plain old Wolf 154gr soft point ammo works wonders on pigs and deer.

I wouldn't hesitate to try out one of these Howa minis.

<>< Fish

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I'm looking at the 50 yard target (on high road forum) and thinking that the accuracy is not good enough for me. Certainly it shoots better than that, at 50 yards, right?

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
My Yugo Npap AK shoots cheap russian steel ammo to 2 MOA all day long with a red dot. It does have a Cold Hammer Forged barrel with no chrome lining killing accuracy. I would think a bolt gun with a scope should do a bit better with good ammo

JakeH

Four Pointer
If going with the Howa, personally I'd go with
5 Grendel. No, the practice/plinking ammo isn't near as cheap but you'll get more performance out of a simular round. Unless you just want it for shiggles, I'd take the Grendel.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I really don't care much for the new Howa HACT trigger. I called Timney and they do not make a replacement for that trigger. Some folks are cutting the spring to lighten it up but that is still a PITA.