Build AR from lower

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The problem you run into with hunting is the bullet selection for the 300. Most bullet are 308 and are made to expand at 308 velocities. The best hunting bullet for supersonic is the 110 barnes. Supposed to reliably expand down to 1300 fps. Depending on what you shoot that's around 300 yards. I've had good luck with deer shooting the 110 vmax. The vmax is a varmint bullet, but at 300 blackout velocity it behaves like a normal hunting bullet. I'm shooting a 16" barrel bolt gun

Right. The nosler is supposed to be in that same neighborhood.. From what Ive researched it seems the guys trying to shoot 150-300 yards with the subsonic rounds is what's given the 300 a bad rep..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I'll have to post pics of my built 6.5 ar10. I didn't drink the 300 blk coolaid, not knocking them but for me even though I'm temped by them I think a 6.5grendle or 6.8spcII would far suit me better. If I went to the woods with a 20O yard gun, every deer would come through at 300. At least that's how archery season goes 9pt 11pt and a couple nice 8s just standing there oblivious yo me and my supper stealth ninja bow, only problem...... 134 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Please do. So is the 6.5 Grendle compatible with a normal 5.56 lower?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Yes it is. I think though you need Grendel specific mags and bolt....don't hold me to that I may be mistaken. But it's easy enough to build a new upper for 6.5 Grendel and swap as needed, most guys don't run the same BCG in multiple uppers (get some funky wear patterns doing that.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
7bef35bbc0dee5b02e9d7dc8dbcec59a.jpg

Aero upper with FA and dust cover.... 20 inch match Ballistic Advantage barrel with matched bolt.... Aero BCG ..... Wilson combat accu-tac flash suppressor...Clark carbon fiber 15" free float tube with an adjustable gas block.
Lower is a stock DPMS lower with basic safety/mag release.... CMMC 3lb trigger....luth-ar precision stock.
Scope is a Sightron 3 , 4-20x50 30mm Moar retical.

Last edited:

ridenismo

Six Pointer
If i can give any recommendations, specifically for a first time AR buyer start with a 15 not a 10. AR10's or should i say LR308 DPMS based variants are expensive to build, and even more expensive to build right. Also build the lower with as high quality parts as you can afford because in the future when you start adding more uppers to the collection and swapping around you have a fine shooting consistent starting point. Ive since sold all of my large frame AR's and have stepped back to a 300blk pistol and a 20" 6.5 Grendel with dedicated lowers, they suit my needs.

The Grendel is a great round on small to medium sized game, with as much range as a 308 and exceptional ballistics because of the 6.5 bullet. My blackout with its 8" barrel is my defense, plinking, *insert your reason here* cool gun. Its fun to shoot, versatile, and a gun i built simply because i wanted to with all usefulness tossed aside.

You truly need to decide what you need the gun for, then pic a caliber that suits those needs and let the build begin.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I appreciate all the feedback. After researching the 6.5 and 6.8, I think I've decided to still go with a 300 Blackout based on the wide variety of bullet weights, low recoil, and modularity of parts and ammo. Where I hunt in NC, you're lucky if you even have a 100yrd shooting lane so the bullet drop past 150yrds really isnt a large factor for me. This is going to mainly be a purpose built gun for hog hunting with a nightvision scope.

Also I said earlier that Im not currently planning on a suppressor but I guess I should have said that I would like one but I'm waiting to see the results of the Hearing Protection Act. If that passes, I will buy a suppressor but otherwise I dont want to deal with the hassle of the trust and added expense of that and the tax stamp. If it passes I'll happily add one on once the crazy demand settles down but otherwise I'd still be completely happy with the setup without one.

Thanks again for all the feedback and hopefully everyone doesnt think Im too crazy for sticking with that.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Well I ended up building (rather assembling) my own Aero Precision. I went with a 300 AAC blackout. Between their military discount and waiting for sales I was able to get everything at 25% off on the parts except the trigger and ended up paying $930 for the entire package. I ended up going with a complete lower and complete upper since they were actually cheaper than the sum of the parts to put them together. Below is my part list in case anyone is curious.

AR15 Enhanced Complete Gen 2 Lower Receiver w/ Magpul MOE & STR - Anodized Black
M4E1 16" .300 Blackout Complete Upper Receiver with 15" MLOK FF
5.56 Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group, Complete
AR15/M4 5.56 Charging Handle
VG6 300 GAMMA
Magpul PMAG® 30-round Non-Window M2 - Black
JMT Saber Trigger

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Happy that you built what you wanted. I've never bought a completed AR15 as been building them since 87'. Never been so good a time as now to buy parts and the selections are never ending. Just built three more last couple weeks when home on leave. Still need to build 3 ea 5.56mm guns for the grandkids, got two Green River 18" 1:5 & 1:6 twist .223 Wylde barrels and need to order a 6.8 SPC II barrel for hunting. Only thing a hunting 6.5 Grendal or 6.8 SPC really need besides barrel is Specific bolt as they have different head case diameters. Bolt carrier is the same and if you only load just a few rounds into a 5.56 mag then they'll feed. Only if you want to load a mag to full capacity do you need a different mag.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Thanks, I looked heavily at the 6.5 and 6.8 but something about the 300AAC was calling my name. If the hearing protection act passes I'm hoping it will drive down prices on a supressor and I'll pick one up. I hear that's where the 300 AAC really shines.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Nice build, nhn2a.
I went the other way on mine. Wasn't super excited about the 300BO since I was building a strictly hunting AR, and wasn't concerned with shooting suppressed.

Went with 6.8SPC and love it. I think the thread is still on here somewhere in firearms section. Wanted as light a rig as I could get.
PSA Lower with a Timney 3# drop-in and a MagPul SL-K slimline stock to keep from snagging on brush.
Mega Upper with 16" 1:11 twist barrel, mid-length free float tube handguard, and knurled thread protector instead of a FH.
Topped with a 2/7/32 Nikon. Shooting SSA 110gr Nosler Accubonds

Whole thing loaded with a 10rd mag and sling is still under 7#.

Only managed to kill one deer with it this season but he was a huge-bodied 8pt in the mountains.
IMG_3537.jpg
He dropped like a sack of taters at 100 yards. Rifle shoots so smooth I was able to watch him drop in the scope.

Plus the short AR packs great when I'm lugging meat out...
IMG_3549.jpg

My brother went with a 6.5 Grendel. 20" barrel. 4/16/50 Vortex. Shoots really well and kills deer dead, but ammo selection isn't great right now unless you handload.
Plus that 20" barrel and rifle length gas system makes the rifle a little front-heavy. Not as "quick handling" as my 6.8, which is why I built mine the way I did.

He lives in SC and hunts a lot of fields/stands, so weight and handling aren't as important to him as me since I'm lugging the dang thing around the mountains still hunting for miles.

These AR's sure are fun to play with... Really enjoy carrying/hunting with mine this year.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Looks good. Like your brother, I mainly hunt tree stands or from blinds so the weight doesn't bother me. When I go hunting out west I have a Tikka T3 lite setup for hauling around so would carry this either. I'm mainly going to use it for hogs and target practice. I may try deer hunting with it but again most of my shots are within 50yrds with my longest possible shot only being 120yrds where I hunt.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Looks good. Like your brother, I mainly hunt tree stands or from blinds so the weight doesn't bother me. When I go hunting out west I have a Tikka T3 lite setup for hauling around so would carry this either. I'm mainly going to use it for hogs and target practice. I may try deer hunting with it but again most of my shots are within 50yrds with my longest possible shot only being 120yrds where I hunt.

That's funny. I got a Tikka T3 Lite as well. 300 WM. Kills on both ends, but never seen a deer take a step after the shot.
The 6.8 AR is nice and soft shooting, but dang if that 300 doesn't do the trick. I love killing one way up in the mountains with the 300. That thing goes off and you can hear the shot roll through the hollers for a while.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
That's funny. I got a Tikka T3 Lite as well. 300 WM. Kills on both ends, but never seen a deer take a step after the shot.
The 6.8 AR is nice and soft shooting, but dang if that 300 doesn't do the trick. I love killing one way up in the mountains with the 300. That thing goes off and you can hear the shot roll through the hollers for a while.
Definitely love my Tikka. Not to get off subject but it truly is an awesome rifle. Mine is a 30-06 and likewise every animal I've shot has crumbled from hogs to deer and even Elk. I'm really impressed with my AR but by no means will it ever replace my 30-06 as my primary go to gun.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Built these six from stripped lowers.

Wifes 18" Varminter with 1:14 twist, all others 1:7
AR15_wifes.jpg

Sons
AR15_sons.jpg

M16A4 and M4 clones: These are my hunting rifles and HD guns. Only taking praire dogs in ND with the 20" last month and have used the 14.5" with 77gr OTM for several whitetail deer in NC.
ARs_with_Tolz.jpg

CD

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Very nice CD.

FYI for you others that hunt with 223/5.56... Silver State Armory has 63gr soft-point spitzers on sale for $9.95 / 20ct. (Loaded in 5.56 brass)
(From Midway Specs below)
Muzzle Velocity:2950 Feet Per Second
Muzzle Energy:1216 Foot Pounds