Got my opening day buck back

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Backstory: killed him opening day on a dog drive. I took a stand and a fella turned loose beside me. He walked in a little ways and I seen a deer and horns getting up in the gall berries. Dogs fell in on him and a young boy killed him. Nice 6 with no brow tines. The fella that turned loose beside me walked back out to go catch his dogs. My dad called me on the radio and said he would work the swamp in front of me. Few minutes later I heard our walker dog open up a couple times. 5 seconds later the gall berries exploded and he popped out at 30 yards. Saw he was tall and a big bodied deer and let it eat. He hit the ground at the crack of the gun and that was all she wrote.

I walked up on him and came to the realization I had blown part of his main beam off.

c32c745233aec95d8e1e9710c22ba0fa.png
37ce8f10453461a543b9b61c70a098b3.png

Took him to my skull mount man who usually has pretty fast turn around time. Original plan was he was going to send it to another taxidermist to get the antler fixed. Sadly after 6 months his guy kept giving him the run around.

Thought a lot about it and decided to pick it up today. Think I'm going to hang the piece of horn by a leather string. Just glad to have it home and have something to remember the hunt by.

4097ae59cd26f67d2d9373b4192732be.jpg

Entrance hole below the base of the antler

1f459c319fc7da1c184106a2ad3ceabe.jpg

Pellet almost passed through.

ebebabf31fcdfa6bf10070e1a997eb54.jpg

b5502dd0053a1c84bad5508e63c85472.jpg

Lead stained antler

1ad8198149b6e983ae65f4470f8b6f22.jpg

I've said on here and I'll say it again, David Barbery at D&K skull mounts is the man to go to for a skull mount. Quick turnaround time, AWESOME customer service. He gave me a hell of a deal since it wasn't done originally like I had wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
You cant glue it back?

If nothing else you could try then use something to fill in any gaps.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
If you want to fix it, I have had good success with elmers wood glue for antler repair. It dries to almost the same color as the antler.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Glue it with some super glue then fill it in with wood filler.
Sand it down and use some light stain on all of it(except the skull of course).
You will notice it but not as bad as you think.

Never tried the Elmers's trick but you could try that first.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd attach antler to the base of the plaque like in your pic, makes for an interesting story

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats man. My brother got on of those Scotland county bucks this year. I gots to get me one dog gone it.

treestock

Four Pointer
I like your method of killing dog hunting. People complain about buckshot but it is real effective if you aim for the control panel. Horns don't stew well no way and story makes an average buck an awesome buck

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk