Prescribed burns

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Alcoa has been busy burning gamelands and some of they're private property. Talked to a forester last week and they're getting ready to burn in Uwharrie.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Good. That will open up alot of understory so turkeys can see the inept hunter much easier.
This same clearing will help the birds later on this year with the new growth coming on. Good.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Alcoa is probably being burned by the nc forest service under the Stephens amendment

Yep, they got 800+ acres burned one day last week. Talked with a county ranger earlier today,sounded like burn category might be low for big blocks, but they were looking for some smaller blocks or lighter fuels. They had a few native grass fields that might fit the criteria.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Did a couple last Saturday but basically they were just hedgerows that were a lil overgrown.
Prescribed burns are great for wildlife.

9cc2a7405a25fed3741d0278b446cdd9.jpg

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor

Here's one from last week that we finished up later in the evening

Last edited:

BBC

Six Pointer
I wish our timber co. would use burns on our lease as well. They only spray which equals a biological desert in terms of food and cover.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
On the way to a shoot this past weekend I saw a huge staging of local firefighters...minus any fire. Turns out they were there to support a local hay farmer burning a hundred acres of his hay fields. Nice to have some pull....

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor

Been busy lately,but finally got around to burning a section of the field at the house tonight. Not a big area, but I broke the field up in thirds and burning on a rotation so there is always standing cover for the critters. I've planted some scattered shortleaf pine in this area,so they got raked around to keep the heat off. I know shortleaf will sprout back usually from a fire, but I don't want to stress them following a drought.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Got some burning done this week down in Duplin. Couple pine tops from Matthew made it interesting for a short bit. It's strange being 70-80 degrees and not 40-50. Be lots of new browse soon for the critters. Have a little more to do but they'll wait till April/May to better control hardwoods, primarily sweet gum.

Got some burning done this week down in Duplin. Couple pine tops from Matthew made it interesting for a short bit. It's strange being 70-80 degrees and not 40-50. Be lots of new browse soon for the critters. Have a little more to do but they'll wait till April/May to better control hardwoods, primarily sweet gum.
B, did you do the burn yourself or use the forest service? in just to the south in pender and nervous to do it with a couple houses nearby

Oh those wonderful sweet gums, our place is covered up in em. You found any use for em besides fire wood or mulch?

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
As a Quail hunter I am a big fan of Prescribed burning. I think it is great to see that all of you guys are on board with the benefits of a fire ecology and the way the wildlife responds. Happiness is a warm drip torch.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Oh those wonderful sweet gums, our place is covered up in em. You found any use for em besides fire wood or mulch?

There is a cross tie market for sweetgum and they are used for pallet lumber. And as much as I hate them, they sell half decent in some markets. And I'd rather not split much sweetgum by hand. Been there done that and didn't really like it. But I guess that's why it makes good cross ties, they can drive a spike in it without splitting:cool:.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Tis the season. Flew to Dallas yesterday and people had fires going everywhere. Passing over west Tennessee and just out of my little window I counted 7.