Wader ideas

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have been looking for a duck hunting wader that does not leak since day 1 of duck hunting 22 years ago. I am 100% convinced that it does not exist after going through my 6th pair of waders this year. I have never found one that I got more than 2-3 hunts out of before the crotch area started leaking. Once that happens it will always leak no matter how much patching you do. The closest I have come is a pair of waders I purchased at Overton's in G-Vegas 10-12 years ago. They were a off brand and had a DU logo on the front pocket.

Funny enough I still have my first pair of Simms trout waders I got in the late 90s- early 2000s and I am much harder on those than I would ever dream of being on duck waders. They have never once leaked!! I purchased another pair of Simms waders a few years ago simply because I wanted a waist length trout wader for small creek fishing.

I made a statement this weekend that I honestly believe there are only 2 companies out there that are capable of making a fully waterproof and durable duck wader. Simms would be one if they made a neoprene wader with built in boot. The other would be STOMR. They know how to seal the stitching inside and out on that stuff to make it last. I would be willing to pay upwards of 600-1000 bucks if either of these guys would get into the duck hunting waders.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
There is certainly a market for high end waders. I still don't understand the complexity associated with not upgrading the traditional waders expect for the fact that people are complacent about them. Give me a pair that is sealed like my wetsuits, blind stitched, glued on both sides and taped, add a good rubber boot like a muck boot, I would prefer neoprene legs and breathable from the waist up, a decent chest pocket with hand muff, and straps that don't slip and stay tight. If that combo costs $800 but they don't leak and last me 10 years I'll pay it. That's only 80 bucks a year to stay comfortable and dry.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I am on my 3rd season with my Drake Waders and no leaks yet, this is mainly swamp hunting and 3 trips to AR and a couple down east. I got lucky and caught them on sale only paid about $150 for them and its been worth it.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Wildlifer I agree 100%. I have honestly never met someone that is pleased with their waders 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I have been looking for a duck hunting wader that does not leak since day 1 of duck hunting 22 years ago. I am 100% convinced that it does not exist after going through my 6th pair of waders this year. I have never found one that I got more than 2-3 hunts out of before the crotch area started leaking. Once that happens it will always leak no matter how much patching you do. The closest I have come is a pair of waders I purchased at Overton's in G-Vegas 10-12 years ago. They were a off brand and had a DU logo on the front pocket.

Funny enough I still have my first pair of Simms trout waders I got in the late 90s- early 2000s and I am much harder on those than I would ever dream of being on duck waders. They have never once leaked!! I purchased another pair of Simms waders a few years ago simply because I wanted a waist length trout wader for small creek fishing.

I made a statement this weekend that I honestly believe there are only 2 companies out there that are capable of making a fully waterproof and durable duck wader. Simms would be one if they made a neoprene wader with built in boot. The other would be STOMR. They know how to seal the stitching inside and out on that stuff to make it last. I would be willing to pay upwards of 600-1000 bucks if either of these guys would get into the duck hunting waders.

I'll give u that. During spring and summer I'm in waders a lot with my job. The older style cabelas stocking foot have been really good. I feel the same way about wading boots as you do waders. All I want is a pair of felt bottomed boots that last me. Got some buddies with Simms and there are really well built and seem to last but I can't bring myself to pay that or most importantly ask my boss to pay it. Haha

I have a pair of waders in the bag in the garage that haven't been out in 5-6 years. They're probably dry rotted all to h3!l. But I bought a pair of Dan's hip boots attached to muck wetlands and those the best thing ever. Walk trough greenbrier and blackberries then through knee deep water and not be scratched or wet!!!

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
An old hunting buddy figured it out several years ago and when my current pair wears out I am going to duplicate what he did. To preface this for most hunting around NC a 3mm or even a breathable wader is sufficient for most NC hunts as far as warmth goes.
What he did was this:
Buy an inexpensive pair of 3mm stocking foot waders that fit his length and chest (nowadays breathable waders would suffice for most)
Buy an inexpensive pair of lace up hunting boots with good soles for traction sized large enough to fit over the wader feet (cordura works well for drying out)
For brush protection (swamp hunting, etc) buy a cheap pair of oversized briar pants to wear over the waders

Your feet will be warm because of the stocking foot- they fit better with a belt holding up the pants and the boots don't suck off in mud because they lace up more snugly and they will last for years

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
They already make wader boots that have a hiking boot like construction plus drain holes so they don't become 5lb bricks when you leave the water. I have done the whole stocking foot deal and there is no way your feet will stay as warm. Everything is tight around your foot and with no air insulation you are going to have cold feet. If it works for your buddy that's great but It sounds but that 3 part system sounds like a pain when everything gets wet not to mention every thing you talked about is cheap and having 3 cheap things working together is asking for a bad time.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The closest I've ever come to voluntarily pissing myself was the first time I wore my brand new uninsulated breathable waders on a cold morning on jordan lake 17-18 years ago. I was so cold I was seriously considering it if for only a few moments of warmth. Hahaha

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
The closest I've ever come to voluntarily pissing myself was the first time I wore my brand new uninsulated breathable waders on a cold morning on jordan lake 17-18 years ago. I was so cold I was seriously considering it if for only a few moments of warmth. Hahaha

Man you must not surf or dive. Its a common occurrence to piss and warm things up. Similar instance happened to me on Jordan. Uninstalled waders and I was already cold before I set my spread out. I ended up ripping them while breaking ice and didn't notice because my feet were already numb. It wasn't until they really started to hurt that I realized there were not only cold but soaking wet.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Cheap dicks proline waders. When they leak throw them in the trash. Or as I have done spray them with truck bed liner. Epoxy them. Rub silicone window sealer on them. Seem to work for me. What I have noticed is big people tend to tear waders up faster.
Some guys I hunt with do as stated above and buy cheap stocking type waders wear cheap Walmart hunting boots and do fine. Buy them a hair big and wear thermals and sweat pants under them.
If you have to walk along way to your spot put your waders in a back pack and carry them in. Makes walking a lot better.

skydog

Cheap dicks proline waders. When they leak throw them in the trash. Or as I have done spray them with truck bed liner. Epoxy them. Rub silicone window sealer on them. Seem to work for me. What I have noticed is big people tend to tear waders up faster.
Some guys I hunt with do as stated above and buy cheap stocking type waders wear cheap Walmart hunting boots and do fine. Buy them a hair big and wear thermals and sweat pants under them.
If you have to walk along way to your spot put your waders in a back pack and carry them in. Makes walking a lot better.

I think this must be the case. I'm a pretty small guy and am on year 6 or 7 of my Cabela's waders and haven't had a single leak. And I have put them through a lot of very tough swamp hunting.