Taxidermy questions

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
In Belhaven looking to have 2 birds mounted. Not really looking to travel far or spend a arm and a leg. Suggestions?

old school

Six Pointer
Got another choice to your request for someone local. Wildfowl Taxidermy on River Road in Washington Park, Washington N.C. does a great job on all species of waterfowl. Also does a tremendous job on turkey mounts. Real reasonable rates and has a large list of returning clientele each year.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I know your not looking to travel but I would suggest looking up Mark Benfield he is in lincolnton and does amazing work. You could probably set something up to ship it to him and long after you will be admiring an amazing mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Is wildfowl taxidermy referring to David Gossett? If so, his work is less than stellar. Used him once and only once.

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
I undstand you get what you pay for and I have been killing birds for a while. Just don't want it to look like crap and waste my money on my first ever mounts. I've called a guy or 2 and it looks like they can be anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half out

Last edited:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I'd rather have a great looking mount two years from now than a half-assed pile of feathers next week.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Is wildfowl taxidermy referring to David Gossett? If so, his work is less than stellar. Used him once and only once.

Agree. I have a wigeon he did several years ago and I'm just waiting to kill another pretty one so I can throw the one he did in the trash. He is not terrible and I've seen many that were worse than him but he does not do the kind of work I expect.

Never listen to anyone when it comes to duck taxidermy. See the work before you take the bird to him.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Not On Target Taxidermy. There's a lady in louisburg Natures touch taxidermy I believe. She does outstanding work!

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Page Nethercutt is one of the best bird taxidermist in the state. Remember with taxidermy especially, quality is remembered longg after price is forgotten. Anything under $200 is too cheap in my opinion and raises a red flag. Dont worry about wait times either 6 months is surprisingly fast I would say. Thats the nature of taxidermy. Take it to someone who has been around for a long time, has won several competitions and even better judged them. That doesnt mean you will get competition quality mounting but it does prove the have that level of knowledge.. Especially if they have judged.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Man, I hate to hear Gossett's work has gone down hill. I always liked him, and his work. I've got a few sitting/hanging around that he did for me almost 20 years ago that still look fantastic. Wish I knew another ENC local to recommend.