Hyco

Dan

Four Pointer
Anyone know if the plant is discharging hot water these days? I know they weren't last winter due to the plant using gas instead of coal. Headed there this weekend and that may play into my plan of attack! Thanks

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
they are not running as warm as traditionally according to a friend who was there last week. warmest at the epicenter of the warm discharge was 53 degrees versus 60's or more in the past.

Hope that helps.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Sutton and Hyco plant have been changed and the discharges are indeed not as hot as they used to be....most of the plants have or are are going to be converted to less warm discharges. One of my fishing buddies is in on this and I dont know the processes involved but it is happening.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Same with Lake Julian in Asheville. Gas not coal and not as warm water.

I'm guessing no red drum at Hyco then

damarshall7

Four Pointer
Hyco and Julian are not gas burning units, they are still coal, but due to natural gas being so cheap, these plants are not ran as often or as hard, and do not have as much hot water discharge.

You will only see hot water discharge at Hyco when natural gas prices spike up, or when it is very cold or hot and the plants need to run to supply excess energy.

Sutton on the other hand is no longer a hot water discharge since the coal plant was decommissioned and demolished.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Hyco and Julian are not gas burning units, they are still coal, but due to natural gas being so cheap, these plants are not ran as often or as hard, and do not have as much hot water discharge.

You will only see hot water discharge at Hyco when natural gas prices spike up, or when it is very cold or hot and the plants need to run to supply excess energy.

Sutton on the other hand is no longer a hot water discharge since the coal plant was decommissioned and demolished.

The clouds of water vapor [not smoke] that rise over most coal units these days contain the heat that used to go into the discharge.