Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What has happened to country music

Quote Originally Posted by mag44thunder View Post
    for classic country and bluegrass, the only station to listen to 98.1 out of galax va
    Me 2!!!! Most of the time they do ok. A bit repetitive for such a broad venue but ok for public radio.

Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    RIP Rhinestone Cowboy.............another good one.
    Did you know his last wife of 32 years is from Carteret county here in NC?

<>< Fish
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" - Mark Twain

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
    Does John Prine qualify as country?
    Yes and no. Grew up hearing my dad blasting his music as prepared for work most mornings. I love the early stuff of his. 1st album, Diamonds in the Rough, Sweet Revenge, Bruised Orange...

I like this guy mice sound to his music. Sean Rowe

Last edited by 25contender; 08-10-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Two words: Balsam Range
    RIP: Bill Duncan, better known as "Bull Cook". Maker of fine duck calls and a teller of tall tales! The last of a dying breed.

Eight Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
    I use Pandora and create my own station filled with Hank Sr and Jr, Waylon, Merle, Jones and ole Johnny Cash.... You can have "today's" country....
    Same here

Button Buck

There is a modern country movement coming out of east Texas that I love. See Blackberry Smoke, Whiskey Myers, The Steel Woods, Brent Cobb, Tyler Childers. Those should lead you on the right path.

Four Pointer

Didnt sift through all the pages in this thread so forgive me if its already been said. If you like country, and I mean the good stuff...you MUST find the time to get out to Nashville TN. I would say minimum of 4 days and that would be rushing it...6-7 days would be better. Aside from the Country Music Hall of Fame, you got the Ryman Auditorium, The Johnny Cash Museum, Patsy Cline Museum, and the list goes on and on. Not to mention all the honky tonks up and down Broadway. Every bar you go to will have live music all day every day. Heck there was live music in the lobby of the hotel at breakfast!! Definitely spend some time at Tootsies Orchid Lounge. 3 or 4 floors with a different band/musician on each level. There are also quite a few good BBQ joints to try. They have their own style in Nashville, a cross between KC/Memphis/NC I enjoyed it all
    Last edited by 624c; 08-22-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Four Pointer

The only mainstream artist I still really like is Eric Church. But if I'm not listening to old stuff (both Hanks, Waylon, George Strait, Garth Brooks, etc etc) I like Cody Jinks and Cody Johnson pretty well. There's some others making music now that I really like, but usually you have to dig a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
    I use Pandora and create my own station filled with Hank Sr and Jr, Waylon, Merle, Jones and ole Johnny Cash.... You can have "today's" country....
    Me too.....
    NRA Life Member since 1991