What has happened to country music

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
I like Randy Houser...He's got a fairly traditional sound with a modern edge to it...Country meets southern rock style sort of

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Well, you can't blame this on Taylor Swift. She just picked up from Faith Hill and a long line of others, both male and female, led her to.

The CD changer in my truck currently sports Marty Robbins, The Oak Ridge Boys, The Statler Brothers, Chris Ledoux, Alabama and George Strait. In the console (thankfully big enough to stash a few corpses....) you'll find more of most of them, Earnest Tubb, Willie, Waylon, Merle, Hank Jr., Mark Chestnut, Bob Wills, Lefty Frizzell and others. My wife claims it's like going back in time every time I get sick of the pop crap on country stations and punch the CD "Shuffle" button.

I think this is the third or fourth wave of pop-county in the last 40 years and this time it's mixed with whiny guys that sound like new age eunuchs. Apparantly, all you have to do is a rehash of a Nirvana song and mention a dirt road for it to be modern country.......

Bring back COUNTY and WESTERN music, dammit!!!!

Lance

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Apparantly, all you have to do is a rehash of a Nirvana song and mention a dirt road for it to be modern country.......

You are pretty close to the truth....

[video=youtube;FY8SwIvxj8o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o[/video]

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I asked my wife this very question on the way to dinner last night. Her response was "things change" then just kept right on singing along, LOL. I can't stand driving in her car, I am not allowed to touch the radio dial.

Last edited:

pickle

Eight Pointer
Was out driving with the wife somewhere I changed the radio to country. After a while I asked her did you the radio station ? No she said this new country. NO I said this is not country music not even close. Saw the video 80 Mercedes on CMT and thought WHY is this on CMT ??? WHY ?? I don't understand !

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I always find this post funny. Music changes, when Waylon and willie and the boys were coming up the old timers said country was dead, then when Garth came around the Wylon and Willie fans said Country is Dead, now all the Garth and George fans say Country is dead. I say you can't have music sound the same as it did 50 or 30 years ago and expect people to keep listening. Waylon and his group saved country then, Garth saved it in the early 90's and Luke and Jason saved it in the 2000's. Now I am the first to say a lot of what you hear today I would not call country but if it were not for the ones that get all the air play getting money for country music you would not have the few that are country showing up. It takes those POP-Fringe artist to keep it going!

Its kinda like the whole Metallica argument, some think they should still sound like they did with Master of Puppets. I think they would be boring if they did that! 

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
One of my wife's closest friends was executive secretary to the president of Sony Music for like forty years. She was there before Sony bought it and knew the industry better than anyone I've ever spoken with. When Taylor Swift came on the scene she told us that the beginning of the end of country music was upon us. She liked Taylor Swift [got her autographed photo with a personal message for Zach] as a person and always noted how smart she was but knew that her and others were going to change the sound. Why you might ask? Money, money, and more money.

I'd say your friend was lucky to survive 40 years in the industry if she thought Taylor Swift was the "beginning of the end". She was definitely the nail in the coffin, but it started well before her.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Real country music is alive and well AND not in Trashville, Tn. They don't play it on FM radio much anymore. Not much more than pop and 'bro country to be found there. The only bro that belongs in country is a dobro.

Pretty good newer country music. Three Tall Pines - Stone Walls, I am sure most of us can relate to this song.
[video]https://youtu.be/dNN0drkrwFw[/video]

Last edited:

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sturgill Simpson, Whitey Morgan, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers, Colter Wall, Whiskey Myers, Blackberry Smoke, Jamey Johnson, Chris Stapleton, Ryan Bingham, Jason Isbell, Drive-By-Truckers, Lucero, Eric Strickland, Chris Knight, Whey Jennings, Ben Nichols, Jason Eady........Just to name a few.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sturgill Simpson, Whitey Morgan, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers, Colter Wall, Whiskey Myers, Blackberry Smoke, Jamey Johnson, Chris Stapleton, Ryan Bingham, Jason Isbell, Drive-By-Truckers, Lucero, Eric Strickland, Chris Knight, Whey Jennings, Ben Nichols, Jason Eady........Just to name a few.
Lots of good stuff here...country music is very much alive. The sugar coated pop stations don't play it because of money...plain and simple.

witler

Eight Pointer
Just saw on the news, Glenn Campbell passed at 81. He was not on my Top 5 list but still one of the old timers.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I think alot of your main stream country music singers are recording music that sells,its not that they can't sing more traditional country songs its about putting something out there that makes money.I have been to alot of concerts over the years with my daughters and when she puts her mind to Carrie Underwood can hold her own with anybody singing traditional country songs.The really good singers can sing anything its more about how much money they want to make.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
My old band teacher once told us that country music would never die. You can't make it complicated enough. If you look back over it's history you'll see a cycle. It started with it's roots, then tried to become rock, then reverted back. It'll revert back in a few years, and the cycle will continue.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
know the feeling, have just about worn out my chris stapleton cd's, he is the only one that has the old country vibe to me.

PG2

Ten Pointer
I use Pandora and create my own station filled with Hank Sr and Jr, Waylon, Merle, Jones and ole Johnny Cash.... You can have "today's" country....

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A "new" station out of Selma 102.3 plays an older version of Country music. On Saturday mornings they play Juke Box Country, from 60's, 70's and 80's. Good stuff

dgaines

Button Buck
You can try The Dead South...about the only thing from Canuck land I like lately.

[video=youtube;5y4qmWF9TIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4qmWF9TIM[/video]