Trying to blow myself up again...............

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Been to wet to mess with the powder wedge yet so I have reverted to another method of blowing myself up again and need some advise. I have a small heater head that fits on a 1 lb. propane bottle. Problem is, the dirt dobbers go me over the summer. I finally have everything cleaned out and gas is flowing. My problem is adjusting the gas flow so I don't keep getting large flames out of the heater. I am thinking the problem is in the bolt in the top of the adjustment valve (it has fiber packing under the bolt in the top of the adjustment housing so I figure that is where the gas comes out.) Is it just a matter of getting that bold loose enough to allow the flow without being completely tight, thereby stopping the flow? Trial and error? I have it just tight enough to light but any attempt to increase the flow results in lots of flame. Maybe I should take this project outside and away from all this ammunition and FFF.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Maybe I should take this project outside and away from all this ammunition and FFF.

I don't see where there's a "maybe" anywhere to be found in that situation....(maybe a "let me go ahead and take this outside away from any source of combustion and/or death to myself or others") :)

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Come on Eric. You know by looking at me I'm not that sensible. I was counting on someone like you to help me solve this. LOL.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
My thoughts too but I can't find anything. I can't even find an orifice for the gas to come out, only around the top bolt.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Come on Eric. You know by looking at me I'm not that sensible. I was counting on someone like you to help me solve this. LOL.

Last time I saw you , you were wearing sensible shoes.....that's something.

I've got a single head heater that's sitting on the stairs, it works fine, no adjusting bolts or anything. I'll happily bring it to you at the DDC if you promise not to blow yourself up. :D

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
LOL..... thanks Eric. The things aren't that expensive, even on a government check. I just hate to have something that is good but just needs some tinkering. Looking forward to the GTG already.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lee look good is the flame yellow? I am guessing it is starving for air. It only adjusts by your knob that regulates the gas, I am betting the venturi that lets air mix with the fuel is still clogged.

Can you get after it and blow it all out with compressed air from the burner side?

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Eggman...... what risk? It is only a one pound bottle that's not even full. What is life without adventure.

NC... that's what I'm thinking but I can't seem to get anything else out of it. I've run about everything I can find up that tube and washed it out till water flows smoothly. If I have the adjustment know just barely cracked it will burn kinda, sorta, OK, just not enough to really heat up the screen. Any slight increase in the knob and I've got flame all over the front of the whole thing. I'll keep messing with it tomorrow. If I don't report back on here by late tomorrow, come look for charred remains somewhere between here and Virginia.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Dirt dabbers can mess up a lot of stuff. I tried to get a burner straight from them and just threw it in the barn and got another. It never ran right anymore.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Dirt dabbers can mess up a lot of stuff. I tried to get a burner straight from them and just threw it in the barn and got another. It never ran right anymore.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I had a similar problem with one of the Heater Buddies. Dang muddobbers. Anyway Mine would spark but not light. I tried compressed air then I read where someone suggested using one of those "fuzzy" pipe cleaner thingys. After a lot of spit and patience I got the darn thing unclogged. Just wondering if you "opened" up something to much? Like someone said it ain't worth the risk. A man your age should be able to find some other way to get his adrenaline rush. LOL.

At the same time I had the bottle of propane refilled. I had attached the heater to a 10 lbs propane bottle per instructions that came with the heater. I sat the bottle outside by my stove building intending to take both back to my condo the next day. As I walked out the back door the next morning I immediately smelled rotten eggs and the bottle was about 15 feet from my back door AND there was a slight breeze. That convinced me that the bottle was leaking pretty bad. A few of things I don't mess with, wild wicked women, electricity and propane. LOL. I carried the bottle as far away from my stove building and house as I could and called the fire department. They advised me to take it to one of those places where they sell propane and exchange it. I certainly didn't agree with that because someone else might wind up with that leaking bottle. Long story shorter, I took it back to where the guy had refilled it, he bled off a lot of gas and said it's ok (it was leaking out of the safety valve). I said no thanks and bought a new bottle, he refilled it for free. I love flying but prefer to be my own pilot and in control of my journey. Main point of the story is that I had been using the heater and bottle both INSIDE my condo. Next day I built a box in which to store the bottle OUTSIDE of my condo. I also found that, if I read correctly, that it is against federal law to have one of those bottles inside a closed building. ??????? I have to say after this happened I think that is a good law.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Well Larry, I can't get to Route 66 so I have to get my kicks somehow. I agree with you on the old, wicked women and certainly electricity but I have never been bothered about things that go BOOM. Hell, I used to take the 100# propane tank at the old clubhouse down home and throw it in that back of my old truck to get it refilled. Drive back with it rolling from side to side, then unload it and hook her up. You know how I check for leaks, right? Zippo. If it flames, tighten her up. Still messing with this one but it is only a 1# bottle. How much damage can that do.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
What Larry R says is my mantra also. I'm too old for wild women and I'm too smart to mess with propane. I will work with some electricity stuff but I am cautious to the point of ridiculousness and I'm okay with that.