flintlock season in North Carolina

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Right now, I own a sidelock percussion ML. A flintlock only season would give me just enough excuse to add one to my collection. :)

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Good grief. Where I am, you can already do so for about 2 months. Deer numbers are way down. Have at it in Nov/Dec.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I thought just little while ago you were griping about lack of opportunity for western deer hunting

Its not needed for game lands.

Private lands? Landowners can do what they want.

My complaint about this was antlered deer only archery only.

Why not guns if its bucks only?

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Its not needed for game lands.

Private lands? Landowners can do what they want.

My complaint about this was antlered deer only archery only.

Why not guns if its bucks only?

the "circle of life",,,,,or is it the "circle of posting",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you've used that rhetoric before,,,,,put it where it belongs,,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Oh yeah, I knew where you were going with it, just applying some reality from my 100 or more real life experiences making that trip. Your 4 hours to Richmond only leaves you 3 more. The Warrenton VA I mentioned is far north of Richmond. I've done it from Winston-Salem also (and Greensboro and Lexington). With minimum stops and good traffic, it's at least 6.5 from W-S, regardless of what a computer may tell you. The place I'm stopping is off 81 just north of Greencastle PA, where I will be soon be attending a gunshow.

Now back to the topic at hand, the flintlock season in PA...

well thanks for the reality,,,,,,I was just using "poetic license" to put forward that PA isn't that far,,,,,but yes, depending on where you start and where you're going it could take a while,,,,,14 1/2 hrs of driving to where I used to flintlock hunt up in North Central PA,,,,,,,and I don't worry on what a computer tell's me for driving,,,,,dare say I put as many or more miles on a vehicle each year than anyone but professional over the road folks,,,,,,,

yes, well aware of Warrenton,,,,,haven't in a 18 months or so but my work used to keep me going back and forth to Northern VA/MD, etc.,,,,,,,don't miss them 5 1/2 hr drives that turn into 10 hour drives due to traffic!!

and yes, back to flintlocks in NC during October!!

whoops,,,wait,,,,

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I dont give a rats :donk:donk:donk about the crap CRC is spouting and some of the rest.

I would love to have a late season Jan/Feb be it just a few weeks or days and not really picky about the weapon just to have a chance for cold weather season and or snow. They can take a week off the start and add to January.

My wife wished we had a split season say off a week in OCT and or DEC just to have me home and not gone for almost 3 months

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Not much difference in an average week in jan than an average week in dec temp / snow wise

Edited to add "around my place",,,,

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Personally I don't care,,,, deer season is long ,,,plenty long,,,,breaking it up some might prove an interesting concept,,,,

Won't never fly though I don't expect

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Mr Gadget,

If they took time off the beginning and added it to later in the year after bear season (keeping the total season length the same) I could go along with that.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A truly primitive weapons season, be it rifle or bow, would be nice but you've got a better chance of seeing pigs fly. Not enough money in it with too few people willing to accept the challenge of getting close. Heck, without the online stores, just finding a source for traditional archery gear in the state is like finding a white crow....

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
A truly primitive weapons season, be it rifle or bow, would be nice but you've got a better chance of seeing pigs fly. Not enough money in it with too few people willing to accept the challenge of getting close. Heck, without the online stores, just finding a source for traditional archery gear in the state is like finding a white crow....

Thompson Center no longer makes any flintlock models for one

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
^^Shame they did away with "primitive weapon" season. Some of the new blackpowder stuff is more accurate and has more range than some "modern" weapons.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thompson Center no longer makes any flintlock models for one

True enough but there are a ton of sources still out there for quality rocklock longrifles and many custom rifles can be had for no more than a well-equipped Mathews or Hoyt. Heck, you can order kits from Pecatonica and others just like the CVAs of the 60's and 70's. That's not the problem. I guess what I'm trying to say is that with so few people accepting the challenge there isn't enough money to be made off of them to hire lobbyists.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
^^Shame they did away with "primitive weapon" season. Some of the new blackpowder stuff is more accurate and has more range than some "modern" weapons.

When PA passed the flintlock season, they rejected the use of cap lock or percussion guns because they were much more modern and reliable than a flinter.

Times certainly have changed.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I would like the eastern season expanded by a couple of weeks. Do you realy think 2 weeks of flint lock hunting will decimate a deer population?

Nope, and I have hunted with flintlocks since the mid '70s... ;)

I've also hunted eastern NC since the 60s...Bow season starts in early September, you can't hardly
stand to hunt those swamps because of the mosquitoes that time of year...So I guess we can start
flintlock season say, August 15th...Due to the fact that few hunters have ever even shot a flintlock
and the mosquitoes and August heat will make it hell to hunt eastern NC I don't believe the deer
population will suffer...

But I can tell you, there is nothing wrong with using a flinter all season long, nobody stopping you...

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
When PA passed the flintlock season, they rejected the use of cap lock or percussion guns because they were much more modern and reliable than a flinter.

Times certainly have changed.

No they aren't, a quality flintlock is very, very reliable, you just have to know what you are doing...

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No they aren't, a quality flintlock is very, very reliable, you just have to know what you are doing...

I'm just repeating what the Pennsylvania Game Commission said in 1974 in setting up the flintlock only season.

I have several flintlocks. They shoot fine.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
What about a seperate shotgun season, handgun season, longbow, recurve…where do you draw the line? How about we leave them like they are, and you can use your flintlock any time muzzleloaders are allowed.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
What about a seperate shotgun season, handgun season, longbow, recurve…where do you draw the line? How about we leave them like they are, and you can use your flintlock any time muzzleloaders are allowed.

How about an any legal weapons seasons?

Use what you want where you hunt.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
How about an any legal weapons seasons?

Use what you want where you hunt.

Well there CRC if you had ever done much hunting, you would know that we already have that.
It's called firearms season and it is open at some point in time statewide.
Read the reg digest, lots of good info there [BTW it is available online in PDF]

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Well there CRC if you had ever done much hunting, you would know that we already have that.
It's called firearms season and it is open at some point in time statewide.
Read the reg digest, lots of good info there [BTW it is available online in PDF]

No I mean like the lowcountry of South Carolina.

It works there.
Game Zone 3 - Private Lands

No limit on antlered bucks.
Limit 1 antlerless deer per day on either-sex days or with individual antlerless deer tags.

Archery and Gun Hunts: August 15 - January 1

Buck only, except on either-sex days or with individual antlerless deer tags beginning September 15. 1 antlerless deer per day.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
And what we have works here. What's your point?

An "any legal weapons" only season works and works well.

A few years ago Georgia finally enacted a muzzleloading deer season at the request of muzzleloading manufacturers.

You can easily use a muzzleloader during the gun season but that doesn't sell muzzleloaders does it?

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly does everyone feel like they are entitled to their own special season? How bout hunt when the season is open and don't ask for a special season for every weapon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly does everyone feel like they are entitled to their own special season? How bout hunt when the season is open and don't ask for a special season for every weapon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "blackpowder" and archery seasons we have now are unnecessary in reality.

What controls deer populations better? Modern rifles or compound bows?

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
They got some kind of glacier zone in SC that I don't know about? Who in the hell would want to deer hunt on August 15th? I couldn't afford the DEET, permethrin, and Gatorade required to hunt deer that time of year. Just the thought of dragging a deer to the truck in August makes me want to sell my deer hunting stuff and buy a squirrel dog.

Last edited: