TN hunter shot a 47 point buck.

It has a few pics,couldn't figure out how to get it here,
and also one from the Bluefield Telegraph (WV) a hunter
killed a very unusual deer,don't remember the points,
but it's got a pic.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Saw an article yesterday that had a picture of the official B&C score sheet with an entry score of 312 3/8. New world record non-typical by 7 inches.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
google is your friend,,,,,,,

stephen-tucker-twrajpg-83b8e932e643d84b.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Says 312 5/8" official score, which makes it the world record non-typical.

yes, but technically it's not "official" until the next B&C triennial meeting, where they then verify the score and make it official

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I drive right through Gallatin on my way to KY. Doesn't look like much but big bucks are where you find em!

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
The "score" is the score.... I get that, but it sure doesn't "look" close to a world record type buck. Put it right beside the buck from Albia, IA and you will see what I mean...

mdunker

Ten Pointer
He had it a day earlier in front of him and his gun misfired. He then passed it at 150 yards later that day. He was 3 1/2. I would have given him another year.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
He had it a day earlier in front of him and his gun misfired. He then passed it at 150 yards later that day. He was 3 1/2. I would have given him another year.

young man must have a horseshoe somewhere,,,,,,big buck three times in less than 48 hours,,,,,,hot doe hot doe,,,,,,,,,,,

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
It doesnt look like a world record compared to that other pic but i guess all the points pushed it over the top.
Thats like the NC state non typical record by bow....it doesnt look big enough to be a record but it is.
I mean no disrespect to anyone just saying if you look at them against other bucks that are record type deer they dont look bigger.
Congrats to the hunter!

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
No disrespect meant at all just saying what I heard out there a couple of weeks ago. That's not far from where I used to live and hunt so I know there have been two or three bucks with those genetics taken off land adjoining a golf course. This guy wasn't the first to see this deer, from what I heard the buck was well known and often seen. Nothing illegal about it but not exactly spot and stalk either.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
The "score" is the score.... I get that, but it sure doesn't "look" close to a world record type buck. Put it right beside the buck from Albia, IA and you will see what I mean...

Your right, one looks like its from IA, one looks like its from TN

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
He wasn't killed of a NC corn pile, so I recon it wasn't real sport hunting.

I've hunted several of the "top" whitetail states and provinces and I can tell you that none of those areas were harder to hunt than Eastern NC. Any trophy buck taken within the law in NC is an accomplishment. If you know a hunter in NC that legally kills the better bucks in his area on a consistent basis, that guy can do it anywhere in North America.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've hunted several of the "top" whitetail states and provinces and I can tell you that none of those areas were harder to hunt than Eastern NC. Any trophy buck taken within the law in NC is an accomplishment. If you know a hunter in NC that legally kills the better bucks in his area on a consistent basis, that guy can do it anywhere in North America.
Yep, and I have hunted in just about all those states also. Most of the guys in NC that I knew, I hardly know any of them now that consistently kill large whitetails anymore but the ones that I did know rarely depended on corn. Or depended on a corn pile, they may utilize harvested fields to their advantage one way or another. But you wouldn't catch them setting over a bait pile.

30/06

Twelve Pointer

This is a very true statement, no matter where you are there is a little luck involved but the amount of daylight deer movement in other states compared to NC in amazing. Hunting in NC has lost a lot of its appeal, not because there aren't some good deer here but because they're so darn nocturnal. It takes a lot of time and skill to kill big deer in NC. If I kill one every 3-4 years I'm pretty happy.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I've hunted in Tn for twenty-five plus years so I can say with some degree of authority that there are more big bucks killed over corn in Tn than in N C. Notice I said BIG bucks 150 BC and up. Think about this before you disagree........if you are the only one putting out corn in a five square mile area vs everyone putting out corn don't you think your chances might increase a little?

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
There is another pic with the hunter holding the antlers from straight on, and it gives a better idea of why it scores so high.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've hunted in Tn for twenty-five plus years so I can say with some degree of authority that there are more big bucks killed over corn in Tn than in N C. Notice I said BIG bucks 150 BC and up. Think about this before you disagree........if you are the only one putting out corn in a five square mile area vs everyone putting out corn don't you think your chances might increase a little?
I have hunted Tn. well over twenty five years myself, I have no illusions that baiting doesn't go on there. That being said I also hunted Ky and southern Il also during that same time frame. A squirrel dog will tell on a bait pile just about as quick as anything out there because squirrels are going to go to that bait pile also and I'll admit it takes a rather foolish individual to hunt completely illegal and either be on private land they aren't supposed to be on and be baiting or be on public land doing it in a state that doesn't allow it. But the two worst states I have ever been in for illegal baiting well let me take that back three, but one state has since allowed baiting all over SC. But IL and Georgia were the worst I had ever seen.

I hunted with a state trooper in Ga and he had the GWs for the area on his phone and would call them and tell them the GPS coordinates to the bait piles. More recent he would just text the coordinates to them. I honestly never saw any in Tn. But don't doubt you one bit, being in the business I was in I know the nature of the beast.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
This is a very true statement, no matter where you are there is a little luck involved but the amount of daylight deer movement in other states compared to NC in amazing. Hunting in NC has lost a lot of its appeal, not because there aren't some good deer here but because they're so darn nocturnal. It takes a lot of time and skill to kill big deer in NC. If I kill one every 3-4 years I'm pretty happy.

I agree. I would attribute most of it to hunting pressure. Smaller tracts in NC, more hunters per acre. I bow hunt good deer density areas and I can't see very far, but I average seeing 1 mature buck on the hoof a year for 6 years. 2 a year if you include 3.5 year olds and I average 40 hunts a year.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I have hunted Tn. well over twenty five years myself, I have no illusions that baiting doesn't go on there. That being said I also hunted Ky and southern Il also during that same time frame. A squirrel dog will tell on a bait pile just about as quick as anything out there because squirrels are going to go to that bait pile also and I'll admit it takes a rather foolish individual to hunt completely illegal and either be on private land they aren't supposed to be on and be baiting or be on public land doing it in a state that doesn't allow it. But the two worst states I have ever been in for illegal baiting well let me take that back three, but one state has since allowed baiting all over SC. But IL and Georgia were the worst I had ever seen.

I hunted with a state trooper in Ga and he had the GWs for the area on his phone and would call them and tell them the GPS coordinates to the bait piles. More recent he would just text the coordinates to them. I honestly never saw any in Tn. But don't doubt you one bit, being in the business I was in I know the nature of the beast.

The favorite method is a six or eight inch pipe tied vertical to a tree and filled with corn. Very hard to see unless you walk up on it.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The favorite method is a six or eight inch pipe tied vertical to a tree and filled with corn. Very hard to see unless you walk up on it.

You should see the corn being sold by the cart full at wal-mart and tractor supply in Martinsville/Ridgeway. We are going to have to work hard this year to get a few decent food plots going. Had a couple empty corn bags sitting across from our club a month ago.