Thread: Falls of the nuese - Butner Depot

Four Pointer

Default Falls of the nuese - Butner Depot

Guys not trying to be a cyber scouter but a buddy and I have a permit hunt there tomorrow morning. We had planned on scouting it this past weekend but life happens and we didnt make it. I have read online that some impoundments in butner were not being pumped this year, does anybody know if the butner depot impoundment has water, or any other "advice" they can offer me. Ill only ever hunt the place on a permit hunt, as the coast is closer and seemingly more rewarding, just dont want to get out there to a hayfield. I can deal with ice, but dont want to make the drive for it to be dry. - Jake

Not sure if it's dry, but you most likely will be breaking ice. Pond I hunted today in Pitt county had 2-3 inches of ice on it and it ranges from 2-8 feet deep.

Four Pointer

yea i expect that much. I live in Pitt county as well and my swamp on my property is all of 3 inches thick as well. I can break ice, just cant make water appear!

It's not dry I scouted a certain impoundment and saw 40 roost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten Pointer

It's not dry, will def be froze. Birds are in that area FYI
    https://www.facebook.com/MichaelFuqu...R/?pnref=story

Athens Archery-Staff Shooter
    Roost'em Calls-ProStaff

Four Pointer

thanks fellas. thats more information than i was expecting, and i truely appreciate it. Will let yall know how it goes

Full of water but the ice will be so thick that it won't even be worth the drive up with roads as bad as they are.
    Right Wing Extremist - Bitterly clinging to guns and religion.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by ridenismo View Post
    Guys not trying to be a cyber scouter but a buddy and I have a permit hunt there tomorrow morning. We had planned on scouting it this past weekend but life happens and we didnt make it. I have read online that some impoundments in butner were not being pumped this year, does anybody know if the butner depot impoundment has water, or any other "advice" they can offer me. Ill only ever hunt the place on a permit hunt, as the coast is closer and seemingly more rewarding, just dont want to get out there to a hayfield. I can deal with ice, but dont want to make the drive for it to be dry. - Jake
    Jake,
    If you need to check the flooding schedule for the Butner gameland impoundments, just check the game land map for that area: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...s-of-Neuse.pdf

You can see that the NCWRC puts notes on the game land map every year stating which impoundments are being flooded that year. (Check the lower left corner of page 2).

A buddy and me were drawn for the Flat River impoundment for today........I didn't even set my alarm. This has happened to me several times in the past few years, frozen out!!! One year we took a canoe in there and broke ice for an hour before sunrise........never saw a duck. I think I'm going to apply for dates in November and December from now on!

Lou

Four Pointer

Well Lou you hit the nail on the head. We broke a big spot open, probably 30 yards in diameter and saw 4 ducks all morning. They were so high they had to dodge planes not pellets. Cant be mad about it though, any day in the field seeing new areas with buddies is better than a day at work or laying in bed! The ice was thick enough we walked on it the whole way to our "spot", so it had been locked up at least 2 days.