collar condition for beagles?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I like my collars to be in as good of shape for my beagles as I do for the big dogs!

gamehunter

Old Mossy Horns
gotcha... the question I have, do the rabbit guys put the collars on the dogs; and, train as they hunt. Or do yall train with collar then hunt and correct the dog when needed? I wanted to train dogs using the here command using tone but was pose to finish doing that last week....now it seems it will be a week later before I can conditioned them to collars which will put me another week before I can finally drop the tailgate.:confused:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ok,,,I was just funning as your question was so ambiguous,,,,,

I always train first with positive reinforcement, then introduce the collar only after dog knows what's up,,,,,,on beagles I have never had an issue as mine "generally" hunt within the block,,,,,,on off-game (dang blasted deer for the most part) I'll "set them up" on a hot one to train,,,,usually takes twice,,,,,and when they do bump one when hunting make dang sure what they are running before breaking them off - every once in a while a rabbit will run a ways as you well know,,,,,,,it helps me as I normally have some that are dead broke and will "tell" on the other dogs if they are on something other than rabbit,,,,,,

but it's normally (always?) best to train them first cause if you wait till your hunting there is a lot going on,,,,,

I'm sure some others will have much better info,,,,,