Thoughts on tomorrow

JD1107

What are your guys thoughts for tomorrow swamp wise? Do you think they will be locked up after the temps we've had here in eastern NC for the past two days? Swamp I hunt ranges from 2-4 feet deep and as I was leaving yesterday morning there was already a thin layer of ice starting to form.

JD1107

That's pretty much what I was expecting to hear. There's no moving water through this swamp so I'll have to go with plan B unless I feel like busting ice all morning to keep a hole open. Anyone else heading out in the morning?

ceanderson

Six Pointer
If I had some open water I would hunt. If you go be extremely careful as things happen quickly and can be very dangerous with these temps.

JD1107

My swamp is locked. Does anyone think a pond can produce tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what my plan B is. Pond is about a mile away from the swamp and is around 4-9 feet deep so should be open. If the swamps around me are frozen hopefully they come find me on the open water. Trucks packed with tons of snacks and dry cloths just incase as well as the buddy heater. No fields to get stuck in tomorrow either so I should be fine.

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
My swamp is locked. Does anyone think a pond can produce tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a pond that only produces in these conditions. It stays open and usually can shoot a few because it's some of the only open water around. Hoping history repeats itself tomorrow.

crzymke85

Six Pointer
I'll be on a farm pond tomorrow. Pretty deep in the middle so it should be a good shoot. Fingers crossed.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I'm headin to a pond in the morning, hoodies, ringers, & ruddies on it today. Hopefully the temps will freeze surrounding swamps and have em looking for open water.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Game warden was standing by his truck near my house listening at 0630 this AM ,,,,,,likely got a call about folks shooting wood ducks before legal

crzymke85

Six Pointer
Didn't see many birds flying but luckily had about 80-100 geese on the pond. Busted a few as they took off just after first light. All quiet after that.

EGrdneck

Busted 1.5" ice in the cutover today...saw 2 ducks and 10 geese...no shots and back at work by 9am

JD1107

Plan B consisted of busting ice all morning.. knocked down a drake woodie at shooting time. Walked around the pond to pick him up, duck jumped, gun froze = no duck. been the story of my life past few hunts! Did manage to find some open water with a lot of woodies sitting on it, but it was across my property line. I'll be back at them Saturday when thing defrost and temps are back in the 60s.

awcrow91

Spike
Two buddies and I finished with 8 gadwall combined. Had to bust a hole in the farm pond we were hunting. Two groups of about 15 each decoyed and that was it. Over in the first 15 minutes. Had two groups of geese come in later but we were retrieving the ducks with fishing rods at this point. Might be time to invest in a dog ha.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Had to bust ice to get out of the boat house this morning. The back half of the open water was locked up so I had to back track and hunt a spot closer to where I started. Birds starting gett'n it at first light, big time. Missed a few early on but ended up with a drake spoon, hen teal, and some hairy heads. Not a bad morning. Had 3 jackasses directly set up behind me, probably 200 yards away, but they couldn't handle the cold. They left pretty early.