Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spin Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewale View Post
    To add on to Eggman's response. My buddy has a spin feeder set up behind his house. He strung a rope between two trees. On a third tree between those two trees, he attached a winch on the trunk about 5' above the ground. At the midpoint of the rope between the two trees high above the ground, he attached a pulley. Run a second rope from the spin feeder through the pulley to the winch. Now you can easy raise and lower the feeder to add more corn. Most animals other than squirrels can't reach it.
    This is pretty much the way I do it, except that I use chain or cable between the trees and cable for the winch. Might be overkill, but it's the only way I've ever done it.
    NRA Life Member since 1991

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    This is pretty much the way I do it, except that I use chain or cable between the trees and cable for the winch. Might be overkill, but it's the only way I've ever done it.
    ^^that's the way we only way we found to keep bears out of our feeders.^^ To keep squirrels from walking the wire just thread on a 3 foot piece of 1/2 inch pvc before and after the feeder, anywhere in line will work....the squirrels get a rude awakening when they try to cross it.

I haven't seen a problem with a tripod. Got plenty of pictures of deer standing under the feeder or even trying to nudge it if there isn't corn on the ground. Of course, mine are in an area that I can pull the UTV right up to it and dump the corn in the barrel while standing in the bed. It seems to be easier for old farts. I only have to fill it a couple of times during our 6 week season.

Eight Pointer caswelltrophyhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
    I haven't seen a problem with a tripod. Got plenty of pictures of deer standing under the feeder or even trying to nudge it if there isn't corn on the ground. Of course, mine are in an area that I can pull the UTV right up to it and dump the corn in the barrel while standing in the bed. It seems to be easier for old farts. I only have to fill it a couple of times during our 6 week season.
    No more problems with the bears knocking them over ?

Just that one that came through, what was it, 3 o 4 years ago......... but we got bear tags now. Duhhhhh.

Four Pointer

Like others have mentioned I have mine on a chain between two trees , I raise and lower it using a boat winch. It's a 30 gallon barrel feeder and so far works great .

Eight Pointer

Of the guys that have theirs up in a tree are you getting pictures of big deer using it or just does

Four Pointer

I had one big eight and another eight he was fighting with plus a couple of sixes and some small spikes . I hope to have a decent season this fall !! I was seeing a couple of bears but they stopped showing up right around the first of Oct.