Hyde County/Pamlico Sound Trip

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We hunted the sound Tuesday and Wednesday and had a ball. We fought the constantly changing wind and a deep fog on Tuesday but still managed to get several Teal, and Black Duck for a total of 19 birds for 4 of us. Wednesday morning it was on, we were done by 7:58. All Green Wing Teal except for .....2 Wood Ducks first thing. Kind of odd for the sound. The day before we had groups of 3-5 birds working our decoys but Wednesday for whatever reason we only had huge flocks work our decoys and ended up limiting out quick. We also watched HUGE flocks of Redheads flying high overhead going towards the lake, they wouldn't give us any kind of a nod. Did have one Pintail fly over our spread Tuesday but no luck, never fired at him, came out of no where. I have several pictures on my phone I will try to get them posted on here tonight. Anyone else going down this month?

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
I'm sure a lot of people will be going down. Good scouting reports and they head east. An armada of aluminum Jon boats will be witnessed on 264 tomorrow.Thankfully I hunt private land in Hyde so I don't have to worry with the circus.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm sure a lot of people will be going down. Good scouting reports and they head east. An armada of aluminum Jon boats will be witnessed on 264 tomorrow.Thankfully I hunt private land in Hyde so I don't have to worry with the circus.

Indeed you are lucky. I can only imagine what it will be like this weekend along with the weather. If it were not for the 5 hour drive I would get serious about trying to find some private impoundments or club to join.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
A good teal shoot is underrated!! Sporty little rockets!! Y'all got some mighty fine eating from those two days!!

skydog

Nice shooting, sounds like a fun trip. Was this with a guide or on your own?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Guided hunt. I'm not a huge duck hunter but look forward to this trip every year. I can see why folks get addicted to it.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Those jon boats will look like beer cans tomorrow if the forecast holds out. Winds gusting to 40 knots on the Pamlico. I wouldn't be surprised if some idiots end up drowning down there.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Those jon boats will look like beer cans tomorrow if the forecast holds out. Winds gusting to 40 knots on the Pamlico. I wouldn't be surprised if some idiots end up drowning down there.

A hard head makes a soft @$$. Hopefully no one gets hurt or worse but I expect a few of them without proper equipment will give it a shot. I've seen that sound rock like the ocean more than once.

workennels

Eight Pointer
A hard head makes a soft @$$. Hopefully no one gets hurt or worse but I expect a few of them without proper equipment will give it a shot. I've seen that sound rock like the ocean more than once.

Robert (Hyde county GW) had to pick up guys that capsized a 21' boat in Juniper today.

Glad y'all had some good hunts we camped and hunted up there all week didn't have any super days but had a good hunt Tuesday we also seen 4 pintails just out the spread. Wednesday we had easily 500 blackheads lite at 70 yards we never fired a shot at them is was damn impressive! We came home last night a day early on account the weather

old school

Six Pointer
Per a GW and a veteran Guide there were two vessels lost in the Sound in Hyde and another in the Neuse near Oriental. Probably some of those mentioned above. Gear can be replaced. Not so with Souls...

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Robert (Hyde county GW) had to pick up guys that capsized a 21' boat in Juniper today.

Glad y'all had some good hunts we camped and hunted up there all week didn't have any super days but had a good hunt Tuesday we also seen 4 pintails just out the spread. Wednesday we had easily 500 blackheads lite at 70 yards we never fired a shot at them is was damn impressive! We came home last night a day early on account the weather

That's terrible, any word on the ones in the boat?