Rifle restrictions proposed for Halifax County

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I know one area of Halifax County that does have problems and I probably know who some of the trouble makers are. These poachers even give the other dog clubs in the area a bunch of trouble. I would like to see them stopped as much as any one. I know who some of them are and the LEO's know who they are. The loaded shotgun/rifle in a stopped vehicle on the side of the road will go a long way to stop this.

The I do have a issues with some of the proposals one is no loaded shotgun or centerfire rifle on the state right of way including the travel lane. I feel like if I'm not stopped and traveling through Halifax County I have a right to kept a loaded firearm of my choice in my vehicle.

Two- I very much dislike height requirements for centerfire rifles, some terrain can be safely hunted with a rifle from the ground.

Three- If written permission and posted signs, along with membership cards is not enough to establish a person is where they can be I don't know what is. Most sheriff departments have access to GIS and readily can have knowledge if the permission is valid, if any doubt cite them see'em in court. I think if any one form of hunting has to keep such records such as proposed, all aught to have to. Hunts interrupted to prove this could borderline harassment. I don't particularly like the 300 acre rule maybe 100 as I can control my hounds on a hundred acres as well as 300 acres. The problem here is most of the poachers only have a few acres.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I hope the height requirement doesnt pass, there are lots of areas that hunting a tree stand isnt feasible.....and us fat kids dont like heights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I hope the height requirement doesnt pass, there are lots of areas that hunting a tree stand isnt feasible.....and us fat kids dont like heights

Just be glad that they didn't ask for "no centerfire rifles".
And as anyone who paid any attention at all in geometry class can see that being up 8 feet does not make one bit of difference after the bullet has flown more than 100 yards in eastern NC [or anywhere else]. Unenforceable too.
I hope that you folks have good luck with this but you need to keep working against these new rules.
Us old guys like box blinds too.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll first state for the record that I DON'T want to see dog hunting banned.

But is anyone really surprised about this?

I've been saying for some time now that county by county, we were going to see proposals to regulate / ban deer hunting with dogs. The only surprise about this to me is that its Halifax. I would have expected Vance or Franklin to be the next domino to fall.

I doubt that these proposals will get very far, but its a sign of things to come. Dog hunters as a community need to get pro-active, organize into lobbying groups and seriously start policing the "scofflaws," or somebody else is going to do it for you, to the detriment of all of us.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
I imagine the no loaded weapon while on a highway right of way would apply during hunting only. I doubt seriously that a "civilian" not hunting, not wearing blaze, with a concealed carry would fall under this rule.
I'd rather see rules like these, than a blanket no rifle law passed, which can and does happen. IMHO, dog hunting alongside a road with a rifle is a tragedy waiting to happen, followed by a knee-jerk political response that no one will like.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
A few bad clubs is probably what caused laws to be looked at.
I always thought you had to be off the ground with a rifle anyway....i guess not.

Leo

Banned
Kinda sucks, I've got a relative with alot of land in Halifax and a coyote problem. Hopping from tree to tree each different calling spot won't be too much fun.

I'm not surprised though, he complains that he has to run the same groups of dog hunters off his land multiple times every season. Driving up there, it's not an uncommon site to see dog hunters lining 158 with guns in hand.

They have a lot of prime property in Halifax with the lake there. Short drive from east Wake too. Makes it a prime area for deep pockets to invest, bring lots of influence and intolerance of hunters with that "outside the laws mentality.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Some counties already have a rifle height above ground requirements.

I'm not sure it actually does anything for safety,

sakoman

I don't deer hunt much anymore, but concerning the 8 ft. off the ground rule is crazy. If a man is walking to his stand and see's a shooter buck , what's he gone do, say hey I can't shoot you because I'm not 8 ft. off the ground. If so , show me that man.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Some counties already have a rifle height above ground requirements.

I'm not sure it actually does anything for safety,

Its an asinine feel good rule, even elevated there is just as much risk when the shooter is unsure or uncaring of whats beyond his target.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
And as anyone who paid any attention at all in geometry class can see that being up 8 feet does not make one bit of difference after the bullet has flown more than 100 yards in eastern NC [or anywhere else]. Unenforceable too.
I hope that you folks have good luck with this but you need to keep working against these new rules.

I would vote for a no centerfire rifle law in Bertie quick. Matter of fact do away with the muzzleloaders too.

lewis9378449

Four Pointer

Geometry was my favorite subject in high school (although that was 30+ years ago). The 8 foot rule is from the ground to the lowest part of your body...most likely your feet. Add another 2 feet to allow for shooting rail, your rifle will be about 10' off the ground when you shoot. Lets assume your target is 3' off the ground at 100 yards out. Not to get too complicated but the bullet has already dropped from 10' to 3' within 100 yards or roughly 70 % of the total drop required to hit the ground. What makes you feel this "angle" will not intersect the ground within the next 30 or so yards?

There is a HUGE difference in firing a rifle from the ground than from an elevated vantage point

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I would vote for a no centerfire rifle law in Bertie quick. Matter of fact do away with the muzzleloaders too.

I'm 99% Bowhunter, but Deer hunters need rifle hunters to keep herds in check and revenues for the NCWRC. I'd support a different season structure, but I think rifles provide more positive than negative.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
A bad hunter is a bad hunter If he shots off the state r/w now he will still do it after they pass these laws.Banning deer dog hunting does nothing to help this that's proven every year in states that do not allow dog hunting in most of these states the number 1 problem is road hunting if it wasn't they wouldn't run so many operations to catch them.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I deal with the knuckle heads every year that think because they live in Halifax county they can go any where and turn out dogs and retrieve their dogs anywhere also......We pay top dollar for our leases and they do not pay a membership.

When I left Halifax at the end of the season they were running a piece of property that I know they do not have permission to run........Hell yea.....Ban it if they are going to continue this. They run anybody and everybody's property at the end of the season or mid week while folks are not around.
The eight foot rule is not going to accomplish much, but the permission slips and verification of such permission and the unloaded and locked away guns would help. We had a deer shot on our property a couple of years back.....we(9 members) were standing about 500 yards from the shooter and he killed the deer in line with where we were standing.... Sgt Hatcher was right around the corner when I called him and he took care of it.

There are SEVEN bad SPOTS in Halifax County...............and no, not all the dog guys are trying to do this, but I have had enough and if it takes a ban.....so be it.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Interestingly, the article states that Halifax county Sheriff Tripp said he was approached by a group of property-owning dog hunters requesting these regulations.

Glad to see some are willing to be part of the solution. Take steps now to fix the problem(s) and have some say in the process.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
ScottyB, I have more trouble with people still hunting my leases. They just hunt it a few feet from their side. Should we ban that too! Banning hunting of any form is not the answer.

The one part of a this proposal that will help, making it illegal to have a loaded long gun while stopped on the r/w. We already have statewide laws on written permission, it is called the Landowner Protection Act. We have had a written permission law here for some were around 30 years, if used it does help. Written permission can be verified an LEO very easily with GIS.