Wild turkey population declining in Mississippi

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I believe lot of walk away birds have either been shot at been with a bird that has been shot or just had crap beat out of him in late March to point he has learned his lesson on the plus side they tend to gobble a lot

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
You always hear guys talking about the lonely love sick two year olds running them over to get to the call. In my experience that hasn't happened. The suicidal birds that I have killed, which hasn't been many,have been three year old birds. Now I know there is no way to definitely age a gobbler but they all had spurs an inch or better. The two year old turkeys I have killed have mostly been quiet and did very little strutting. This was probably due to the age structure of the gobblers in the flock but that's been my experience. I don't know the ages of the walk away gobblers I've dealt with because they are still out there walking away. I'm pretty confident at least some of those were timid 2 year olds that had been beaten up and didn't want it to happen again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
You always hear guys talking about the lonely love sick two year olds running them over to get to the call. In my experience that hasn't happened. The suicidal birds that I have killed, which hasn't been many,have been three year old birds.

Exactly. Seems to me the loud-mouthed, suicidal two-year old turkey is one of those myths that die really hard.

Now I know there is no way to definitely age a gobbler but they all had spurs an inch or better. The two year old turkeys I have killed have mostly been quiet and did very little strutting. This was probably due to the age structure of the gobblers in the flock but that's been my experience. I don't know the ages of the walk away gobblers I've dealt with because they are still out there walking away. I'm pretty confident at least some of those were timid 2 year olds that had been beaten up and didn't want it to happen again.

Lone two year olds are typically very tough to kill, in my experience. If they gang up, that's a different story.

The field gobbler I was talking about above, turned out to be a two-year old. I figured as much after dealing with him for a while.

Since by definition, it's tough to hold a dead walk-away bird in your hand, you never really know what he is - it's my belief that they are typically birds that are timid and avoid confrontations, and usually two-year olds.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I guess it depends on area and population because I got big old pile of 2 year old spurs that came in on a string typical 3/4 inch spur 18 pound 8-9 inch beard eastens and they gobbled like crazy I pass on lot 2 year olds each year just to keep them in woods just for simple fact I'm still looking to break that 12 inch mark on beard and 2 inch spur may never happen but I remain hopeful. The 2 I killed last year were both 2 year olds that I watched from previous year grow from jakes and they gobbled non stop and came in easy one from about 600 yards away off another hill crossing creek then through laurel thicket he couldn't wait to get shot. No t disagreeing because I've seen plenty 2 year olds that were beat on that would sit and gobble but not move or walk away gobbling whole way It may depend on how many older birds are in woods in area hunting to make them walk away but the stories of 2 year old suicidals are very true couldn't begin to count the ones I've called in and buddies have killed of course this is over many years

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
my short spurred easy ones lead me to believe in the suicidal two year old theory.

plus i want to think that there may be one around every corner, just waiting to play.

otherwise i would not hunt as hard.

do not confuse me with facts. :)

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I've definitely killed more 3 year olds than 2 year olds. I have had a 2 year old land in my lap off the roost but that's it. They like to gobble and strut but not commit.

And most 3 year olds that came in gobbling their head off or right from the roost, came in with a partner.

Just my experience.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
One thing that may make my experience different is I hunt pressured public land in several states and there may just not be the number of 3 year and older birds in population to keep the 2 year olds suppressed. For example 3 years ago we had abundance of birds in woods so I called in probably 13 mature birds that season ended up with 2 11 inch plus beards letting anything with below that walk now last 2 years bird numbers have been slimmer so only thing brought n were 2 year olds reasoning is 4 years ago had lot birds so had carry over of 3 year olds on public ground last 2 years especially last year where was 20% decline in harvest where I hunt was barely 2 year olds to be found but they were dominant 2 year olds strutting and gobbling both breeding hens pics on trail cams confirmed. Now this coming spring I've been watching a group of 5 gobblers since they were poults now are 2 year olds and they have been in this area since were poults not an older gobbler one to be found and I use cameras all year they have been together since jakes grouped up at that time so come March they'll split and I'll end up with 2 more 2 year olds for NC this spring.