Annual traditions

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i see brother Eye's book in that stack.

He is the great contradiction in the turkey world. He is the run and gun master but his hosting of the outdoor media and keeping them confined to blinds to be successful turned the turkey world on it's ear.

for those that dont have it; the book in question is ray eye's "Turkey Hunting Bible"

warning- Do not read if you think calling once an hour is the way to kill them. :)

Thanks for the feedback on the mcClure book.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Old Ray will give a bird all they can handle and more when it comes to calling that is one of very few people I've never met i'd like to go on run and gun hunt with in Missouri

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i like eye because he has opinions which i share.

he is a strong believer in our inability to sacre turkeys with our calling. (if we sound like a turkey). that logic seems likely to me.

i dont think they can reason that a human is trying to trick them by sounding like a turkey.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
i like eye because he has opinions which i share.

he is a strong believer in our inability to sacre turkeys with our calling. (if we sound like a turkey). that logic seems likely to me.

i dont think they can reason that a human is trying to trick them by sounding like a turkey.

Nope they don't connect the dots till these knuckleheads on public land call em in 5-6 times then they learn to just let the hen come to them like they supposed to. Its shocking how many people don't understand the toms are ready early and will come to any hen sound made and usually come running or fly in. Turkeys are scared of people not turkey sounds

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Turkeys are scared of people not turkey sounds

I think a lot of folks make assumptions about why turkeys do or don't come in that are not based totally in reality. Of course, none of us are turkeys, and don't really know what is in their heads. And all we can do is use human thinking to come up with rationale.

But I know turkeys are scared of people usually. And I also think turkeys are scared of turkey sounds sometimes. That is evidenced by those walk-away birds we've been talking about. But the reasons they seem to be scared turkey sounds in the case of walk-away birds, don't have much to do with people, IMO. I got theories, but that's all they are.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
same here just theories, I love the thinking and trying to figure them out a little though, and well a lot of guessing as to why they do what they do I've ket lot notes over years and probably the biggest thing I find is the difference between how they act on public land and private ground ones that haven't been hammered with calling and human presence find way more walk away birds and birds that will stand their ground and gobble but not come in then of course find them on private as well just not as often. I think some of the times they are scared of calling is just wrong call at wrong time of course how are we to know till we try I've seen them run from just subtle yelps before, how many times have you seen birds in spring that seem to show no interest in breeding activity happens every spring and who knows why just crazy birds being birds. Then mile up road they are on fire.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Ray Eye is one guy I look up to most in the turkey hunting community. My style of hunting is a lot like his.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah ts real hard for me to sit and watch grass grow even as I get older I'm more patient and do little more sitting but I can't sit for hours with no action I gotta go try and make something happen I always believe there is one over that next ridge just gotta keep going and pull a gobble out of him

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Yeah ts real hard for me to sit and watch grass grow even as I get older I'm more patient and do little more sitting but I can't sit for hours with no action I gotta go try and make something happen I always believe there is one over that next ridge just gotta keep going and pull a gobble out of him
Yep, my philosophy is, somewhere on the property I'm hunting is a gobbler that wants to die. It's my job to find him. I don't go running all over the country, it may take an hour to cover a half a mile but unless I'm working a turkey I'm very rarely sitting down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Where I hunt and the area you were talking about you'll have to do that there are miles where there isn't a bird to be found bt if you stay at it they are there somewhere. I'll miss it when my aging legs don't let me walk the hills anymore