First Coyote

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
After much reading online I decided to try my hand at trapping and made 5 sets yesterday morning. Got my first yote today! I'm hooked! Time to buy some more traps!
b377023eb3289228ce81091cf8c63f05.jpg
7db2fb8b6ffef8913228715f87142005.jpg
15a1e47df181bb7616fb9c435ef06c9e.jpg
9e78e3d2df440f2251b4519557792166.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Congrats,,,,

Trapping is a good skill to have,,,,it teaches a lot about animals and reading sign

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congratulations on your first! Trapping is addictive and it will definitely improve your woodsmanship. You will start seeing sign you never noticed before.

Get after em!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I shot this yote with a 22 to the head. There was a lot of blood but I reset the trap anyway. Covered the blood with some dirt but I'm sure the scent is still there. Is resetting a waste of time?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,,. Is resetting a waste of time?

expect you'll get 47 different answers on that,,,,,but in my efforts the answer is yes, no, and depends,,,,,,

yes it can sometimes be a waste of time,,,,,,,,
no, sometimes it makes other yotes curious (especially young ones) and they'll come check it out,,,,
and it depends,,,,on if your targeting specific species or "just trapping",,,,,,,cause your just as likely to catch a grinner in that remake!!

odie408

Ten Pointer
Good job, we need many more coyote trappers. Shooting them is more fun but those traps work 24/7.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I reset in the same trap bed every time unless it is soupy mud but I use a catch pole to avoid the blood in the catch circle. I have had coyote catches in some resets, sometimes as soon as the next night. You reset, see what happens. The scent of the catch circle should certainly get the attention of another coyote passing by but it might not commit to get in the circle. If you do not have another trap in the immediate area, you might want to consider adding another set nearby to give him another opportunity to get caught.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I reset in the same trap bed every time unless it is soupy mud but I use a catch pole to avoid the blood in the catch circle. I have had coyote catches in some resets, sometimes as soon as the next night. You reset, see what happens. The scent of the catch circle should certainly get the attention of another coyote passing by but it might not commit to get in the circle. If you do not have another trap in the immediate area, you might want to consider adding another set nearby to give him another opportunity to get caught.

Good advice. Thanks. Actually I do have a second set about 75 - 100 yards from this one in the same field.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You need one a lot closer than that. One that another yote will smell while he is milling around the catch circle.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Tell us a little about your set up. I've got a couple traps but haven't had any luck. What lures and also explain the purpose of using an attracting lure and another lure that goes in the hole?

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Tell us a little about your set up. I've got a couple traps but haven't had any luck. What lures and also explain the purpose of using an attracting lure and another lure that goes in the hole?

I'm new to this so I'm sure others could give better info. Here are some pics of my set
7ae291e6a7b6659ffdd35231fa020c19.jpg
7fd24641ec920bc551f553ec4d692eb6.jpg

I used Cavens Minnesota brand bait covered with sheeps wool and Dunlap JDs predators gland lure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Welcome to the addiction! Try to keep sets at least 10 feet apart in case you double. Don't want them tangling up with each other. Keep up the good work!

BuckMark

Spike
Took a tip from another trapper and started using a heart shot to dispatch. Just as quick and effective, and much less blood.

cowgirl

Four Pointer
Yes double lung/heart shots work for my husband. Very little blood and animal is gone in seconds. Good job on your first catch!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
The head shot caused a lot of blood for sure. I will try a heart shot on the next one! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexx33

Bumping this thread to the top.

I'm new to trapping and have a couple very good spots lined up for this fall/winter/spring. My question is, where do you all sell your furs at? Does anyone close to Charlotte/Mooresville/Mount Airy area buy the entire coyote and do their own skinning from trappers?

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
list of licensed fur buyers in NC.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Trapping/Documents/fur_buyers.pdf

Kevin Myers is fairly close to you. Give him a call. Not sure he will be interested in carcass coyotes but never hurts to ask.

NC coyotes have poor quality pelts for the most part. I skin less than 1/2 of the ones I catch because they have no commercial value and I still skin some that I should have discarded. From my observation, typical NC coyotes run in the $10 to $25 range if they do not grade as damaged. Damaged go for $1 or $2.

And it is not just NC coyotes. Eastern coyotes in general have a coarse wiry coat with thin under fur. They also are all over the place on color. The fur market likes the silky western coyotes with heavy under fur and pale color.

I enjoy catching them but understand that I am not going to cover expenses selling them on the fur market.

alexx33

That makes complete sense, thank you sir. I enjoy the art of trapping and the experience of being out in the wilderness, I'm not doing it to make money by any means. A lot of the areas I deer and turkey have seen a big drop in numbers the last 5 years with a big increase in coyotes. I live in the city limits of Charlotte and we see coyotes in our neighborhood about every other month.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Glad to see others are helping with the coyote population regardless of the method used. Congratulations and as stated I'm sure it is addictive. Keep after them.