She must be a Zombie

Bean

Eight Pointer
I went out on the 16th of this month in hopes of shooting a doe for my neighbor so they would have some meat for the winter. I shot this doe about 5pm that afternoon after waiting about 30 minutes or so I started tracking good blood for 200yds then nothing. I was confident in my hit, I even shoot lighted nocks so that made me feel even better when I saw the pass through. I go back the next day walk for several hours and find nothing so I gave up very bothered by it none the less. Fast forward Christmas eve last minute card pull and low an behold here she is. You can clearly see the entrance and exit on her hide this I will never understand. 100gr Muzzy was the head.

Capture.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
She still looks healthy and even fat...she must have been eating 4 leaf clovers that day for breakfast.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
And all the "experts" vehemently deny that there is not a "no mans land" between the vitals and the back bone. I shot one exactly like that once with an arrow and it survived. I killed it later and as we were skinning the deer there was the tell tale sign on the inside of the hide entrance and exit. My brother shot one with a 30-06 also and we never recovered it that day. A couple of months later he shot and killed the deer and again while skinning the deer there was the tell tale sign. On that one we also found that the lung had grown attached to the inside of the rib cage at the site of the wound.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
To all those hunters who I tracked shot deer for, the ones that I either scolded or cussed for making a bad hit.
I will now APOLOGIZE.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
That is crazy...if she keeps a noticeable scar, I believe I'd have to give her a pass from here on out if she stays healthy. That's insane right there.

I have a squirrel here that I shot 3 times last year with a 22...he is still alive and well. Hit him in the back, in near his shoulders, and again about middle ways, and shot most of his tail off...you can clearly see the two healed over bald patches and the 2/3rds of his tail missing. I have given him a pass each time I have squirrel this year.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
IMO..... Muzzy says it all....

I know Millions of deer have been killed with them.... but in my extensive experience, the blades are dull and that happens a LOT.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
IMO..... Muzzy says it all....

I know Millions of deer have been killed with them.... but in my extensive experience, the blades are dull and that happens a LOT.

I thought the same thing. I tried to sharpen Muzzys without success many years ago, never got them sharp enough to shave.
I shot Snuffers back then and owned and used alot of hones so I was pretty good at getting a good edge on several kinds of broadheads. Muzzys always beat my best efforts.
Today's broadheads are alot sharper from the pack than they were back then but I don't know about Muzzys.
My take away from these photos is to ALWAYS, ALWAYS have a shaving sharp broadhead on your arrow.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
wow deer are some tough animals but how in the @#$@ did that not put her down. Good luck and hope you get another chance to help out your neighbor.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
And all the "experts" vehemently deny that there is not a "no mans land" between the vitals and the back bone. I shot one exactly like that once with an arrow and it survived. I killed it later and as we were skinning the deer there was the tell tale sign on the inside of the hide entrance and exit. My brother shot one with a 30-06 also and we never recovered it that day. A couple of months later he shot and killed the deer and again while skinning the deer there was the tell tale sign. On that one we also found that the lung had grown attached to the inside of the rib cage at the site of the wound.

I agree with you that there is a "no man's land" for high hits, BUT, this ain't it! This shot looks close to perfect to my eyes. Maybe a little far forward, but I wouldn't have thought too much. I don't understand why this wasn't a short track with a happy ending. Amazing critters for sure.

Last edited:

Bean

Eight Pointer
I agree with you that there is a "no man's land" for high hits, BUT, this ain't it! This shot looks close to perfect to my eyes. Maybe a little far forward, but I wouldn't have thought too much. I don't understand why this wasn't a short track with a happy ending. Amazing critters for sure.

I was thinking it would be a short track also. I'm still at odds with it because I feel like the shot placement was spot on. It just wasn't her time maybe she is carrying a future BOONER in her belly.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I was thinking it would be a short track also. I'm still at odds with it because I feel like the shot placement was spot on. It just wasn't her time maybe she is carrying a future BOONER in her belly.

Nope, it was a dull broadhead.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Blades were new out of the pack maybe so. I guess I am not suppose to know. I would think dull broadhead or not that should have got both lungs which should have been a dead animal.

The only blades that I have found that were sharp enough out of the pack were the ones for a Slick Trick.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Ok let me ask a dumb question. I've killed well over a hundred deer but only 7-8 with a bow. I understand broad heads need to be as sharp as possible but how can a dull broadhead pass through that deer and not kill it but a sharp broadhead in the exact same spot would have?

77f150 beast

Eight Pointer
Ok let me ask a dumb question. I've killed well over a hundred deer but only 7-8 with a bow. I understand broad heads need to be as sharp as possible but how can a dull broadhead pass through that deer and not kill it but a sharp broadhead in the exact same spot would have?

I assume they are thinking the bradhead pushed the vitals aside as it passed thru,instead of cutting them,but i also find it hard to believe it passed thru if it wasnt sharp........others please chime in this thread is getting interesting!

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I will take the bait.
I have killed alot of deer with a bow.
I have killed at least 10 deer that had been previously shot.
I have tracked hundreds of deer with and without a dog.
I have been in on the cleaning of thousands of deer, no brag, just fact.
I have always tried to look at the wound channel in a dead deer killed with either gun or bow.
A deer can carry a bullet/arrow or the wound left by them and live for years or die after the season is over.
I have never seen a deer shot where the one that started this thread live very long.
The "no mans land" between the spine and the top of the lungs may be there. But IMO most of the deer that get away because they were supposedly shot there were really shot with dull broadheads.
To kill deer, a sharp broadhead is the most important part of your archery setup.
Everything else is wasted if your broadhead fails to cut all the way through a deer.
And yes, I have seen where a dull broadhead slid by some major arteries/veins as it went through a deer. Those died [some many hours after being shot] but I am sure that I have tracked alot of them that lived.
So, IMO, you need to sharpen every blade on every broadhead that you carry hunting.
Just sayin'

Last edited:

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I will take the bait.
I have killed alot of deer with a bow.
I have killed at least 10 deer that had been previously shot.
I have tracked hundreds of deer with and without a dog.
I have been in on the cleaning of thousands of deer, no brag, just fact.
I have always tried to look at the wound channel in a dead deer killed with either gun or bow.
A deer can carry a bullet/arrow or the wound left by them and live for years or die after the season is over.
I have never seen a deer shot where the one that started this thread live very long.
The "no mans land" between the spine and the top of the lungs may be there. But IMO most of the deer that get away because they were supposedly shot there were really shot with dull broadheads.
To kill deer, a sharp broadhead is the most important part of your archery setup.
Everything else is wasted if your broadhead fails to cut all the way through a deer.
And yes, I have seen where a dull broadhead slid by some major arteries/veins as it went through a deer. Those died [some many hours after being shot] but I am sure that I have tracked alot of them that lived.
So, IMO, you need to sharpen every blade on every broadhead that you carry hunting.
Just sayin'

Thousands? To clean just 1000, you'd have to clean 20 a year for 50 years. Are you a processor?

Bean

Eight Pointer
I assume they are thinking the bradhead pushed the vitals aside as it passed thru,instead of cutting them,but i also find it hard to believe it passed thru if it wasnt sharp........others please chime in this thread is getting interesting!

I was on the side of a hole through the lungs is a hole through the lungs. I'm no expert and definitely didn't start the thread for controversy. I'm still a little dumbfounded by the whole thing. I have shot my share of animals and a great amount were with archery tackle. I don't understand how she lived with that hole where it was placed by any kind of weapon.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I tell people all the time a deer is one of the toughest animals in the woods. I've shot my fair share of deer with a lot of different weapons and have witnessed first hand how much a deer can take. That deer is very lucky to be alive. To the OP, the only advice I can give is to keep hunting her and try to kill her before the end of the season....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
That's a tough critter. Things happen sometimes without reason and seems this is one of those times. We all learn something from these reports.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Thousands? To clean just 1000, you'd have to clean 20 a year for 50 years. Are you a processor?
In the 1980's, we had a "community" skinning shed where the entire neighborhood skinned their deer. I was there most every day of the entire deer season helping skin/dress deer.
I used to hunt, ALOT, and over the 20+ years back then, I shot a limit in NC and in 3 game zones in SC [some of which had no limit on buck deer] and some deer in other states as well, so I have probably killed well over 200 deer.
Further, while working nearby, I parked my camper at a processors deer camp [I still hunt there] in SC for over 2 years. Part of my rent was helping at the locker. Some doe days, we had to eat supper and then go back to the skinning shed and finish the 20+ deer brought in that evening.
So yep, I have handled thousands of dead deer.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I believed you shady. I wish i could say ive handled thousands lol Ive killed over a 100 myself and lent a hand in skinning at least twice that lol Some people just cant accept the truth...