Easy Venison/Vegetable Soup

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I make it on Sunday and eat it for lunch all week. It's fast and easy. Takes me only about 10 minutes to prepare and get going in the crockpot.

- In a hot skillet with just a drizzle of vegetable oil, brown (heavy sear) 1-2 pounds venison stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes. (I like to add some minced garlic, salt, and pepper while browning)
(The sear adds flavor...but you can skip this step if you want. It's actually the only part of this process that's a bit of a pain...but it's worth it IMO)

- Dump the browned venison into a large crockpot along with....

1 - 48 oz box of beef broth (or substitute bouillon & water)
1 - 28 oz bag of frozen soup vegetables (I usually use Pictsweet from Walmart but any will do)
1 - can diced tomatoes (I use the large 28 oz can because I like a lot of tomatoes)
- a dash or two of worcestershire sauce
- pepper, to taste
** a dash of oregano sometimes..maybe a bay leaf. The herbs and spices you can play with to suit your own taste. I change it up from one batch to the next. Sometimes I add a little chili powder & cumin to give it a Tex/Mex flavor.

I start the crockpot on high and back it down to low once it boils. Then I let it simmer about all day...though it's done after about 6 hours. (It's done when the meat will crumble)

Makes 5-10 servings, depending on who's eating it. It'll keep in the refrigerator 5-6 days I'm sure...maybe longer.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Very good recipe there....i make it very similar.....i add a cup of uncooked ditalini pasta about an hour before shutting it off along with another cup of broth......

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Very good recipe there....i make it very similar.....i add a cup of uncooked ditalini pasta about an hour before shutting it off along with another cup of broth......

Nice! I like the idea of adding pasta to it.....sounds real good. I'll try that next time. Thanks for the tip!

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice! I like the idea of adding pasta to it.....sounds real good. I'll try that next time. Thanks for the tip!

If you add Pasta then dont make enough to last all week or add more pasta later. the pasta can get all mushy sitting in the liquid for long periods.. I make a similar soup but I am fond of using canned venison.. you can make it one meal at time in only 30 min.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I make almost the same soup recipe, only thing different is I add a couple of diced potatoes to it and cook it in a stew pot, not a crockpot.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This sounds like a great recipe!!

My homemade is much the same except I use home-canned tomatoes and store-bought canned veggies.

We usually can about 20-30 qts of tomatoes every summer and I just open a qt or 2 and add the venison plus canned potatoes, beans (butter & green), mushrooms, and white corn. (My Dad always said white corn is for humans, yellow corn is for horses)

Season to taste with herbs.

PS - I like Roma tomatoes since they have a more robust flavor.......

Since everything is already cooked, this soup can be ready in a short time.......but like Familyman, I like to let it slow cook for a few hours!