Question about turkey blinds

greenoakl

Six Pointer
On the club I hunt with we have 3 or 4 fields where we use tent blinds for kids and some older adults to hunt out of. Our problem is that the bears have been keeping them tore up the last few years. The turkeys don't seem to be bothered by the tents. I was thinking about building some lightweight blinds out of 2x2 and plywood the same size as the tents, paint them and put netting over the windows. Do y'all think the will work as good as the tents?

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yup it will work but you'll have to deal with wasps..... why not just put them up when you go to hunt and then take them down.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yup it will work but you'll have to deal with wasps..... why not just put them up when you go to hunt and then take them down.

This is what to do turkeys aren't like deer they don't have to be left up they won't get spooked. Or you could just sit against tree or brush an area in and not have to fool with either

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
anything to sit behind/in will fool the poor dumb turkeys. the best ones though are not on the edges, put those tents in the middle of the action out in the fields.

or just be like the drurys and kill them from tower stands.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
On the club I hunt with we have 3 or 4 fields where we use tent blinds for kids and some older adults to hunt out of. Our problem is that the bears have been keeping them tore up the last few years. The turkeys don't seem to be bothered by the tents. I was thinking about building some lightweight blinds out of 2x2 and plywood the same size as the tents, paint them and put netting over the windows. Do y'all think the will work as good as the tents?

Build them out of 16 foot cattle panels from Tractor Supply. The ones made of 5/16" wire, 5 feet wide. Make a bow about 8 feet across the bottom about 5 feet tall, stake down with long metal tent stakes. Use 5 foot high hog fence for sides [cut out entrance door]. Cover the top/sides with cheap camo plastic tarp and then cover it with hay off of a round bale [baling twine works to tie this up with].
Stay dry and warm with little cost [+/- $30] and unless you leave bacon or spill BBQ sauce in it, bears won't bother it.
Pics are in the DIY thread here.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
anything to sit behind/in will fool the poor dumb turkeys. the best ones though are not on the edges, put those tents in the middle of the action out in the fields.

or just be like the drurys and kill them from tower stands.

I just threw up in my mouth a little LOL

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
At least I don't think they're using a robo decoy yet.

i actually saw terry hunting them without cover the other day. great flydown hunt with three hard gobbling turkeys. enjoyed seeing that.

have zero interest in watching a filmed hunt from a blind or tower stand for turkeys.