VA state record archery carp

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
As a bowfisherman, I find it pretty cool actually. Never seen a carp that large while bowfishing.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
As a bowfisherman, I find it pretty cool actually. Never seen a carp that large while bowfishing.

I agree. The people that are not impressed have obviously either never been bowfishing, or have been doing it way too long!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
In Eastern WA I bowfished a lake a couple times, had 40-50lb carp everywhere just like that. Now I wish I would have spent more time bowfishing when I was there. You could see them well as it was a man made lake with rock cliffs around lake. You just walk the edge and look down into the coves, very clear water too, you could wade into the shallow water and grass to kill them too.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
In Eastern WA I bowfished a lake a couple times, had 40-50lb carp everywhere just like that. Now I wish I would have spent more time bowfishing when I was there. You could see them well as it was a man made lake with rock cliffs around lake. You just walk the edge and look down into the coves, very clear water too, you could wade into the shallow water and grass to kill them too.

There are plenty of grass carp around here that get in the 50-70 lb range, but that's a giant yellow (common) carp by any standard.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
There are plenty of grass carp around here that get in the 50-70 lb range, but that's a giant yellow (common) carp by any standard.

The ones I saw 40-50 lb are the common carp, like in the photo. This is only picture I have, obviously this one not that big.

Attachments

• 0704001532.jpg
    0704001532.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Va. hmmmmmmn, does that mean it will be a NC record also since using CRCs logic they go by our rules and vice versa? :rolleyes:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Nice fish, but not all that uncommon size-wise depending on the lake. I shot one nearly that size on a lake in SC a few years ago. The water was muddy where they were thrashing around spawning, and I only saw the tip of a tail stick out of the water. When the arrow hit, it was like throwing a stick of dynamite in the water. It actually took our johnboat on a little Nantucket sleigh ride for a ways.

Last edited:

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
My biggest on norman with a bow was all of 25lbs. Ive never seen a common that size. Its a beast IMO. Ive killed some grass carp that are bigger but that isnt saying much.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
This is making me wanna bowfish now! Only reason I look forward to warm weather, lol

Last edited:

justhunt

Six Pointer
Contributor
I remember a time when we had Claytors to bowfish all to ourselves for several years. It was unreal the size and amount of carp that was in there. We killed them around that size but never thought about having them officially weighed. We went to Claytors once this summer and saw 5 different boats shooting that night. I remember one night two game wardens checked us and were amazed at what we were doing. They had never seen anybody bowfishing at night with lights. They checked us and politely asked if he could follow us around and watch. We said sure and in about an hour we filled a 55 gallon drum with big commons. They had a ball watching us because we were the only boat out there and gave them something to do. We all had a ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Sold my bowfishing boat and never went the first time this year. Before that, we shot damn near about every lake in NC and east TN. One thing I can tell you for certain is all lakes ARE NOT created equally when it comes to common carp sizes. Jordan for example is absolutely full of commons in the 1-3lb range with a 10-12lb fish being a giant. Gaston on the other hand doesn't have the numbers but 20-35lb commons are not unusual. Every lake is different.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That's something I have never done (bowfish),,,,,may have to rectify that one day

THERYANO311

Twelve Pointer
Everyone has a opinion and I personally believe it's wrong to shoot them for no reason. I see the sport side of it, but just to shoot one doesn't make sense to me. I actually enjoy carp fishing a lot and carp fisherman for the most part take great pride in taking care of the fish. I've heard it all from I use them for fertilizer to they are ruining our lakes. Just my opinion

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Everyone has a opinion and I personally believe it's wrong to shoot them for no reason. I see the sport side of it, but just to shoot one doesn't make sense to me. I actually enjoy carp fishing a lot and carp fisherman for the most part take great pride in taking care of the fish. I've heard it all from I use them for fertilizer to they are ruining our lakes. Just my opinion

How do you feel about shooting coyotes?

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot carp and coyotes. Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms. If carp meat was good I'd eat em. I bury them in the garden and look forward to juicey tomatoe sandwiches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boojum

Ten Pointer

Carp are non-native invasive exotics that don't belong here, and they actually do cause a lot of harm to our ecosystems. They are fun to catch, but I wish they had never been brought here; and if I could push a button right now and kill every carp in North America, I would do it in a heartbeat. They are the aquatic version of feral hogs.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I've lost dang near all respect for the "die hard" carp fishermen when they sabotage bowfishing boats and protest bowfishing tourneys and throw paint on bowfishing boats and paint graffiti and slash tires on trucks at ramps. Damn all of'em.
Just like everything else, I'm sure there's good ones but the cowardly bastards that destroy bowfishermens property that are legally partaking in a resource can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I've lost dang near all respect for the "die hard" carp fishermen when they sabotage bowfishing boats and protest bowfishing tourneys and throw paint on bowfishing boats and paint graffiti and slash tires on trucks at ramps. Damn all of'em.
Just like everything else, I'm sure there's good ones but the cowardly bastards that destroy bowfishermens property that are legally partaking in a resource can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.
^^^^yep!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if the state deems the carp so useless that it allows you to shoot it with a bow then it's "non useage" should be no issue.

i am sure the shooting derbies have something worked out to avoid a scene but past that who cares?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
if the state deems the carp so useless that it allows you to shoot it with a bow then it's "non useage" should be no issue.

i am sure the shooting derbies have something worked out to avoid a scene but past that who cares?
They allow you to shoot catfish also, but there are limits on them and people have made them their livelihoods for many years. Same as cattle, they taste good and no one in their right mine gets their shorts in a wad when you slaughter one, but when you do and dump it beside the road it raises hackles.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
They allow you to shoot catfish also, but there are limits on them and people have made them their livelihoods for many years. Same as cattle, they taste good and no one in their right mine gets their shorts in a wad when you slaughter one, but when you do and dump it beside the road it raises hackles.

carp is what i was thinking of.

your argument holds for deer or any game animal.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
carp is what i was thinking of.

your argument holds for deer or any game animal.
Many catfish are invasive, as is many cattle species, yet they serve a purpose and are very edible. Many people eat carp, I sure don't but there is a tremendous market for them you ever see the TV show "Bottom Feeders"? They catch them in nets in the upper midwest and haul them to market by the hundreds of tons to Ny and upper Ne states. They also is a small niche market for them in the La.-Ms. area but that is primarily for bait I believe for crawfish traps.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Many catfish are invasive, as is many cattle species, yet they serve a purpose and are very edible. Many people eat carp, I sure don't but there is a tremendous market for them you ever see the TV show "Bottom Feeders"? They catch them in nets in the upper midwest and haul them to market by the hundreds of tons to Ny and upper Ne states. They also is a small niche market for them in the La.-Ms. area but that is primarily for bait I believe for crawfish traps.

on many people eating carp;
when i was traveling in china my hosts knew i was fond of seafood and said i would be delighted with a restaurant's specialty. In many restaurants there the food you are served is on display alive in a foyer in the place.
on display was their specialty , big carp floating around in an aquarium.

I passed. just an old bias i guess.

on carp, they do provide a great background for an interesting 2017 calandar.

i will let you boys google it, posting the link would violate our standards here. :)

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
on many people eating carp;
when i was traveling in china my hosts knew i was fond of seafood and said i would be delighted with a restaurant's specialty. In many restaurants there the food you are served is on display alive in a foyer in the place.
on display was their specialty , big carp floating around in an aquarium.

I passed. just an old bias i guess.

on carp, they do provide a great background for an interesting 2017 calandar.

i will let you boys google it, posting the link would violate our standards here. :)
My father would eat them if they were light scaled, he said the yellow ones tasted like mud. I don't have a clue, I never would indulge him and try them. But on the other hand I despise bones. I won't keep a brim nor crappie unless they are big enough to fillet.

My grandfather was just the opposite, he loved small brim, cook them crisp and would eat the tail and fins. Other than the large bones they were eaten. Sounded like eating potato chips. LOL

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
My father would eat them if they were light scaled, he said the yellow ones tasted like mud. I don't have a clue, I never would indulge him and try them. But on the other hand I despise bones. I won't keep a brim nor crappie unless they are big enough to fillet.

My grandfather was just the opposite, he loved small brim, cook them crisp and would eat the tail and fins. Other than the large bones they were eaten. Sounded like eating potato chips. LOL

your grandfather was a smart man. :)

my mother indulges me on the non filleted panfish and i too eat the fins and tails.